arsenal, are magnificent. Some of the houses
are built in the old Spanish style, with the gable
ends embattled in front; but there is a great num-
ber of modern brick houses, which are lofty and
spacious, particularly on Lhat magnificent quay
called the Boom Tees. On this quay is a hand-
somo Jewish synagogue. In an open place at
the head of one of the canals is a bronze statue of
Erasmus, who was born here in 1467. This city
was in a very flourishing state previously to the
admission ofthe French troops in January 1795,
and the war with England, when the commerce
of Holland was suspended. It had begun to re-
cover in 1809, when it was again rapidly depress-
ed by the renewal of war. After the fall of Na-
poleon its prosperity greatly increased, and it is
thought that the separation of Belgium from Hol-
land will operate favourably on the commerce of
this town. It is seated at the influx of tbe Rotte
with the Merwe (the most northern branch of the
Meuse), 36 m. S. S. W. of Amsterdam. Lono*.
4. 29. E., lat. 51.56. N.
Rotterdam, one ol‘ the Friendly Islands, in the
Pacific Ocean, discovered by Tasman, in 1643.
Long. 174. 30. W., [at. 20. 16. S.
Rotterdam, a village of Oneida Co. N. Y.
Rottlngen, a town of Bavaria, in the circle of
Lower Maine, situate on The Tauber, 17 m. S. of
Rouah, or Roiha. See Orfa.
Rouen, a city of France, capital of the depart-
ment of Lower Seine, and an archbishops see.
It is 7 rn. in circuit, and stands on the N. side of
the Seine, over which is an elegant stone bridge
of recent erection. The streets are narrow and
crooked, and many of the houses are of wood;
notwithstanding which it is one of the most opu-
lent and commercial places in France. Among
the public buildings, the most distinguished are
the great hall of the palace, in which the parlia-
ment of Rouen met, the o.d castle, and the prin-
cipal church, ornamented with three towers. Near
this church, which is not the only remarkable on e
is the public library. In the market-place is a
statue of the celebrated Maid of Orleans, who
was burnt here by the English as a witch. The
inhabitants have manufactures of woolen, linen,
cotton, iron ware, paper, and pottery ; also sugar
refineries and salt-works. Rouen is the birth-
place of the two Corneilles, and of Fontenelle
It is 50 m. S. W. of Amiens and 70 N. W. of
Paris. Long. 1. 2. E., lat, 49. 26. N.
Rouergue, a former province of France, which
now forms the department of Aveiron, which see.
Round Lick, p.v. Smith Co. Ten. 60 m. N. E.
Rousay, one of the Orkneys, lying N. W. of
the mainland. It is about 9 m. long and 4 broad,
and contains 800 inhabitants.
Rouse's Point, p.v. Clinton Co. N. Y. on the
western point of the outlet of Lake Champlain
186 m. N. Albany. A large castle of hewn stone
with 3 tiers of embrasures has been erected at
this spot by the United States, and was claimed
by the British as within the boundary of Canada.
Rovsselart, a town of the Netherlands, in W.
Flanders, seated on the Mandel, 10 m. N. E. of
Roussillon, a former province of France, now
included in the department of Eastern Pyrenees.
See Pyrenees, Eastern.
Rovcredo, a town of the Austrian states, in
Iyrol, seated near the Adige, at the foot of a
mountain, on the river Lens, over which is a
bridge, defended by a strong citadel. It has a
very considerable trade in silk, and a great quan-
tity of tobacco is raised here. In 1796 the Aus-
trians were defeated near this place by the French,
who took possession of the town; but they were
obliged to abandon it soon afterwards. 13 n». S
of Trent. Long. 10. 55. E., lat. 45. 50. N.
Rovigno, a sea-port of Austrian Illyria, on the
coast of I stria, with two good barbours. The in-
habitants are estimated at 10,000, who are chiefly
employed in the pilchard fishery, ship-building,
and the sale of wood. Near it are quarries of
fine stone. It is seated on a peninsula in the gulf
of Venice, 36 m. S. of Capo d Istria. Long. 13.
58. E., lat. 45. 11. N.
Rovigo, a town of Austrian Italy, capital of a
province or delegation of its name, and the re-
sidence of the bishop of Adria, to the decline of
which town it owes its present prosperity. It
is seated on the Adige, 37 m. S. W. of Venice
Long. 12. 4. E., lat. 45. 8. N.
Rowan, a county of N. Carolina. Pop. 20,796.
Salisbury is the capital.
Rowe, ph. Franklin Co. Mass. 130 m. N. W
Boston. Pop. 716.
Rowlandville, p.v. Cecil Co. Maryl.
Rovilett, p.v. Potter Co. Pa.
Rowley, ph. Essex Co. Mass. 28 m. N. Boston.
6 S. Newburyport. Pop. 2,044.
Roxburgskire, a county of Scotland, sometimes
called Teviotdale ; bounded N. by Berwickshire,
E. and S. by Northumberland and Cumberland,
and W. by the shires of Dumfries and Selkirk. It
is of an irregular figure, and the greatest extent
in every direction is about 30 m. It is divided
into 31 parishes, and the number of inhabitants in
1821 was 40,892. The principal rivers are the
Tweed, Teviot, and Liddel. The face of the
country exhibits a rough appearance of mosses,
hills, and mountains, interspersed with a narrow
valley, well watered, and fertile in corn. The
hills feed great number of sheep and cattle. Some
remains are still visible of the Catrail, or Picts-
work ditch, a stupendous British work, probably
constructed in the fifth century, as a line of de-
fence against the Saxons. It appears to have
been a vast fosse, 26 feet broad, with a rampart
8 or 10 feet high on either side. In many parts
of the county there are sepulchral tumuli, in
which coffins and urns have been found. There
are also Druidical circles and other antiquities.
The country had its name from the once magnifi-
cent city and castle of Roxburg, situate between
the Tiviot and the Tweed, nearly opposite Kelso ;
of the city of few traces are now evident; and
the castle, near the mouth of the Teviot, is en-
tirely a ruin. At this castle, in 1460, James II.
of Scotland lost his life, by the bursting of a con-
non. About 2 m. from the castle, on the banks
of the Teviot, is a village called Roxburg. The
present capital of the county is Jedburg.
Roxborough, p.v. Person Co. N. C. 80. m. N. W
Roxbury. ph. Norfolk Co. Mass. adjoining Bos-
ton. It is properly a suburb of the city, and is
connected with it by the neck and the western
causeway. The compact part of the town bor-
ders on the neck. The whole surface is exced-
ingly picturesque and abounds with lofty hills,
covered with gardens, cultivated fields and ele
gant villas, delightfully situated. Many of ths
hills are crowned with the remains of the fortifi-
cations thrown up here during the revolution