Prince William Henrys Island, an island in the
Eastern Ocean, lying W. N. W. of Tench Island.
It'is pretty high, well wooded, and about 70 m. in
circuit. The population is estimated at 50,000.
It was discovered by lieutenant Ball in t790, and
a high mountain in the centre was called Mount
Philip. Long. 149. 30. E., lat. 1. 32. S.—Also
the name of an island in the Pacific Ocean, dis-
covered by captain Wallis in 17G7. Long. 141. 6.
W., lat. 17. 0. S.
Prince William Sound, a gulf on the N. W.
coast of America, discovered by Cook in 1778, and
visited and explored by Vancouver in 1794. The
dress of both sexes is a sort of close robe, made
of the skins of various animals, and commonly
worn with the hairy side outward, sometimes
reaching only to the knees, but generally to the
ancles. The men often paint their faces of a
black colour, and of a bright red, and sometime
of a blueish or leaden hue ; but not in regular
figure. The women puncture or stain the chin
with black, that comes to a point on each of their
cheeks. Their canoes are of two sorts ; the one
large and open, the other small and covered: the
framing consists of slendei pieces of wood, and
the outside is composed of the skins of seals, or
other sea animals stretched over the wood. Their
weapons, and implements for hunting and fishing,
resemble those used by the Esquimaux. The
principal animals axe beaus, common and pine mar-
tens, sea otters, seals, racoons, small ermines, fox-
es, and the whitish cat or lynx. The birds found
here are the falcon, the great king-fisher, the
white-headed eagle, and the humming bird.
Long. 147. 21. W.,lat. 59. 33. N.
Princes Island, an island near the W. coast
of Guinea, 90 m. in circumference, discovered
by the Portuguese in 1471. It is elevated and
fertile, and has a town on the N. part, with a
good harbour. Long. 7. 40. E., lat. 1. 40. N.
Princes Island, a small island in the Indian
Ocean, near the W. entrance of the strait of Sun-
da. It is visited by European ships for wood and
water. Long. 104. 30. E., lat. 6. 15. S.
Prince's Islands, four small islands, in the sea
cf Marmora, near the strait of Constantinople,
called Prinkipo, Prote, Kalke, and Antigone.
Trie first is the largest, and has a town contain-
ing above 2.000 inhabitants. Long. 28. 5G. E.,
Lt. 40. 51. N.
Princeton, ph. Worcester Co. Mass. 52 m. W.
B >stoa. Pin. 1.345. It was called Wachvsett
bv the Indians, and within its limits stands the
mountain if that name, which Set.
Prl-.-'t n. D.i Somerset and Middlesex Cos.
N J. 4 * .n. N. E. Philadelphia. The college of
New Jerre r. or Nassau Hall, is established at this
place. It was founded in 1746; it has 10 instruct-
ors xni l o students; the libraries have 12.1100
volnm-f-s. It :ins two vacat.ons in spring and
autumn :*: 12 Treks. Commencement is in
September Here is also a Theological Seminary.
FrAc<zy%. p.v Caldwell Co. Ken.; p.v. Butler
Co. Oiu-r : s.t G-irson Co. Indiana.
Princuaicn. o L Schenectady Co. N. Y. Pop.
Prinripato. « proTinre of Naples, divided into
Princinato Citra tad Ultra, that is, the Further
and Hither Principality. The former is 60 m.
long and 3»? broad : the sc:! fertile in wine, corn,
oil, and saffron : and it ha* a great deal of silk,
and several mineral springs. Salerno is the cap-
ital. Principato Ultra is- 37 m. long and 30
broad; and the soil not fertile in corn or wine,
but it produces chesnuts, and has excellent pas-
tures. Avellino is the capital:
Pristina, a town of Romania, and a bishops
see, which was pillaged by the Austrians in 1689.
It is seated on the Rusca, 150 m. S. by E. of
Belgrade. Long. 21 36. E., lat. 42. 43. N.
Pritzwalk, a town of Prussia, in Brandenburg,
seated on the Domnitz, 13 m. E. N. E. of Perie-
Privas, a town of France, capital of the de-
partment of Ardeche. It is seated on a hill, near
the confluence of three small rivers, 68 m. S. ol
Lyons Long. 4. 36. E., lat. 44. 45.
Procida, a island in the gulf of Naples, near
that of Ischia, 8 m. in circumference, and very
fertile and populous. The capital, of the same
name, is a small fortified place, on a high craggy
rock, by ths sea side. Long. 14. 8. E., lat. 40.
Proctorsville, p.v. Windsor Co. Vt. 88 m. S.
Proilano, an island in the Mediterranean, near
the W. coast of the Morea, formerly called Sphac-
teria. It is 36 m. S. S. E. of Zante. Long 21
24. E., lat. 37.15. N.
Promt, a city of Birmah, province of Ava. It
was formerly more considerable than at present,
having been greatly reduced by frequent wars.
Much teak timber is sent hence to Rangoon. It
is seated on the Irrawaddy, 120 m. N. W. of Pe-
gu. Long. 95. 0. E.. lat. 18. 50. N.
Prospect, ph. Waldo Co. Me., on the Penob-
scot. S in.. N. E. Belfast. Pop. 2,381; ph. Prince
Edward Co. Va. 105 m. S. VV. Rionmond.
Prospect Hill, p.v. Rensselaer Co. N. Y.; p.V.
Fairfax Co. Va.; p.v. Caswell Co. N. C.
Prosperous, a village of Ireland, in the county
of Kildare, 16 m. S. W. of Dublin. It has a con-
siderable manufacture of cotton.
Prosnitz, a town of Moravia, in the circle of
Olmutz, 8 m. S. S. W. of Olmutz.
Provence, a former province of France, which
now forms the department of Var, Lower Alps,
and Mouths of the Rhone.
j"Providence, one of the Bahama Islands, and the
best of those planted by the English. It was
taken by the Spaniards, in 1782, but retaken the
next year. A light-house was erected, in 1804,
on an eminence overlooking Nassau, the chief
town. Long. 77. 20. W., lat. 25. 3. N.
Providence, an island in the Atlantic, which the
Buecaniers fortified, but afterwards abandoned.
It is 150 m. E. of the coast of Nicaragua. Long.
80. 44. W., lat. 13. 25. N.
Providtnce river, a stream of Rhode Island
formed by the union of two rivers just above the
city of Providence. It flows into Narraganset
Bay, and is navigable from Providence to the sea
for ships of 900 tons.
Providence, city, chief of a county of the same
name in Rhode Island, is the largest place in the
state and the second city in New England for
population, wealth, and business. Jjt stands at
the head of Narraganset Bay, which at this ex-
tremity becomes narrowed to the width of a riv-
er. It is built on both sides of the river, the two
parts being connected by a bridge. The new
iown on the W. of the river has all the bustle
and liveliness, and displays the flourishing ap
pearance of a commercial city. The hill on the
opposite side, or East Providence, is chiefly oc
cupied by private mansions, beautifully situated,
and adorned with gardens and court yards. On
the summit of a steep eminence stands tne col-