Brookes’ Universal Gazetteer, page 581
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.

HOME PAGE ... REFERENCE PAGE ... THIS GAZETTEER’S PAGE



Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


La Savonniere has been united; the manufactory
of glass, which employs 2,700 men; and the por-
celain manufactory at Sevres, remarkable not only
for the value of its productions, but for its curious
museum of all the objects connected with the art,
ranged in order. Paris also excels in many of the
commonly used articles of luxury and fashion,—
in male and female dress, jewelry, wrought gold
and silver, watches, clocks, furniture, carriages,
&c. So strong is the tendency to trading indus-
try, that its exports have increq^ed since the Revo-
lution to a degree unprecedented in the history of
commerce.

Society has become essentially changed in Par-
is since the Revolution. The nobles have lost
iheir importance, if not existence, as a caste.
That numerous aggregate of families formerly
called the “court,” has disappeared. Wealth,
however, is not the first distinction, nor has it the
same weight in obtaining access to good company,
in Paris as in other places. The Parisian society
of men of letters and artists is, perhaps, the most
intellectual, interesting and polished, in existence,
-from the fund of knowledge and accomplish-
ment which it contains, and the passing admixture
of European rank and talents. The Parisians are
doubtless polished and artificial in their manners ;
but they are also really social and obliging: and
the many hospitals which they support for the
helpless of both sexes and every age,—of which 7
contain 3,156 beds,—with, moreover, several bu-
reaux for the distribution of private domiciliary re-
lief,—sufficiently prove that they are humane and
charitable. Their love of amusement and pleas-
ure is attested by their crowded public walks,
their 3,500 coffee-houses, and twelve theatres.

Parishes in north lat. 43. 50. 11.,—long. 20. 11.
(reckoning, with the French astronomers, from
the western point of the
Ile de Ferro)—98 leagues
S. E. of London, 250 leagues S. W. of Copenha-
gen, 380 leagues S. W. of Stockholm, 500 leagues
S. W. of St. Petersburgh, 600 leagues S. W. of
Moscow, 324 leagues W. of Cracow, 300 leagues
S W. of Dantzic, 216 leagues S. AV. of Berlin,
210 leagues W. S. W. of Dresden, 195 leagues
W. S. W. of Leipzig, 115 leagues W. by N. of
Frankfort on the Maine, 204 leagues W. by N.
of Prague, 850 leagues W. or Vienna, 270
leagues AV. of Presburg, 552 leagues N. W. of
Constantinople. 333 leagues N. W. of Na-
ples, 260 leagues X. N. AA ., of Rome, 230 leagues
AV. X. AV of A'enice, 107 leagues N. AV.
Bern, 143 leagues AA'. X. Wr. of Zurich, 100
leagues AV X. AV. of Basle. 230 leagues N. by E.
of Madrid. ?->9 leagues X. E. of Lisbon. Its area
is
10.OX1 square acres, of 100 perches each ; its
•drcuTiifrnriice. by the Boulevards, about six
leagues : its diameter about two leagues ; and its
pop.
9It is divided into 12 municipal dis-
tricts.called arr oacissements; 9 on the right and 3
on the left bank of the Seine,—with a mayor and
justice of peice Lneaeh; and these arrondisse-
ments are again subdivided into forty-eight quar-
ters, each with a commissary of police. The
municipal administrate: n and police of Paris are
wholly in the hands of the executive government.

Paris, ph. Oxford Co Me. 46 m. N. of Portland.
Pop. 2,307 ; ph. Oneida Co. X. T. 9 m. S. W.
Utica. Pop. 2.765. Also towns and villages in
Fauquier Co. A*a., Jefferson Co. Ind., Bourbon Co.
Ken. Pop. 1.219. Hsnry Co. Ten., and Union,
Portage, Stark and Richland Cos. Ohio.

Parishville, ph. St. Lawrence Co. N. Y. Pop.
1,479.

Parke, a county of Indiana. Pop. 7,534. Rock
ville is the capital; also a village in the same
county.
88 m. W. Indianapolis.

Parker, a township of Butler Co. Pa.

Parker River, a small stream ot Essex Co. Mass.
flowing through Newbury into Plum Island Sound.

Parkersburg, ph. Wood Co. Va. on the Ohio.
12 m. below Marietta.

Parkgate, a village in Cheshire, situate on the
estuary ofthe Dee, 12 m. N. W. of Chester. Pack
et-boats frequently sail hence to Ireland

Parkman, a township of Somerset Co. Me.
Pop. 803; ph. Geauga Co. Ohio. 156 m. N. E.
Columbus. Pop. 709.

Parks, p.v. Edgefield Dis. S. C.

Parma, a duchy of Italy, under which name are
included the duchies of Parma Proper, Piacenza, ,
and Guastalla. It is bounded on the W. and N.
by the Milanese, E. by the Modenese, and S. by
Tuscany and Genoa. The soil is fertile in corn,
wine, oil, hemp, and pqsturage; and there are
some inconsiderable mines of coppfer and silver.
The celebrated Parmesan cheese is no longer made
in this country, but at Lodi, in the Milanese, and
some other places. By the treaty of Paris, in
1514, this duchy was given to the ex-empress
VIaria Louisa.

Parma*, an ancient, rich, populous, and hand-
some town of Italy, capital of the foregoing
duchv. It has a university, a magnificent cathe-
dral/rind the largest opera-house in Europe,
which has seats for 8,000 people. The dome, and
the church of St. John, are painted by the famous
Nlorreggio, who was a native of this place. The
other most remarkable places are the ducal palace,
with its gallerv and collection of artificial curi-
osities ; the large Benedictine convent, in which

12,000 soldiers were quartered in 1724; the Pa-
lazzo Giardino, a ducal palace, connected with the
town ; and the promenade between the town and
citadel. Charles, king of the Two Sicilies, car-
ried away a library from this place to Naples,
which contained 18,000 volumes, and a very val-
uable cabinet of curiosities, with a rich collection
of medals. The inhabitants, about 36,000, trade
in silk, and silk stockings. In 1734 a bloody
battle'was fought here between the Austrians and
the French and Sardinians, in which the former
were defeated. Parma is situated on a river of
the same name, which divides it into two parts,
united by three bridges, 40 m. N. W. of Modena
and 60 S. E. of Milan. Long. 10. 30. E.. lat. 44.

50. N.

Parma, ph. Monroe Co. N. Y. 12 m. N. Roch-
ester. Pop. 2,569.

Parnassus, or Parnasso, a celebrated mountain
in Greece. It has two heads, one of which was
famous for being consecrated to Apollo and the
Vluses, and the other to Bacchus. It is the high-
est iD Greece, and has a fine fountain, supposed
to be the ancient Castalia.
8 m. N. of Livadia.

Paro, or Porrogong, a town of Hindoostan, cap-
ital of a district of its name in the province of
Bootan, with a castle, the residence of a governor.

It is famous for the manufacture of idols, and the
forging of swords, daggers, and arrows. It stands
on the Patchieu, in a fertile valley, 20 m. S. by
E. of Tassasudon.

Paros, an island in the Grecian Archipelago,
one of the Cyclades,“to the W. of Naxia. It is
10 m. long and eight broad, and the soil is well
cultivated. The trade consists in wheat, barley,
wine, and pulse, and in calicoes. It formerly
produced a great deal of oil, but the Venetian
3c 2





Public domain image from GedcomIndex.com

Brookes' Universal Gazetteer of the World (1850)


PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE

This page was written in HTML using a program
written in Python 3.2