Brookes’ Universal Gazetteer, page 573
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.

HOME PAGE ... REFERENCE PAGE ... THIS GAZETTEER’S PAGE



Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


FAD    573    PAH

P

PACAJES, a town of Buenos Ayres, capital of a
province of its name, with a great trade in cattle.
80 ra. S. W. of La Paz.

Pacem, a town in the N. part of Sumatra, capi-
tal of a kingdom of the same name, 120 m. S. E.
of Acheen. Long. 97. 15. E.,lat. 4. 0. N

Pachamac, or Pachacama, a town of Peru, in
the province of Cercade, situate in a valley of its
name, formerly beautified with a magnificent tem-
ple, built by the incas, in which the Spaniards,
when they conquered Peru, found immense rich-
es. It is 18 m. S. S. E- Lima.

Paehete, a town and fort of Bengal, formerly
the capital ofa district of its name, which is now
included in the government of Burdwan. It
stands near the Dummooda, 10 m. N. E. of Ro-
gonatpour.

Pachuca, a town of Mexico, noted for the rich
silver mines in its vicinitv, 56 m. N. bv E. of Mex-
ico. Long. 100. 41. W.; lat. 20. 44. N.

Pacific ~Ocean, otherwise called the South Sea,
iving between Asia and America. It is the larg-
est ocean in the world, extending over more than
one-third of its whole surface, and being upwards
of 10,000 m- in breadth. When Magellan entered
this ocean, through the dangerous strait that bears
his name, he sailed three months and 29 days in
a uniform direction to the N. W. without discov-
eringland.. In the distress he suffered in this
voyage, before he discovered the Ladrone Islands
ne had the consolation of enjoying such calm
and gentle weather, with fair winds, that he
gave this ocean the name of Pacific. The Span-
iards, on passing the isthmus of Darien from N.
to S., at the first discovery of this ocean, named
it the South Sea; hut with respect to America, it
is more properly the western ocean. On one
side of the equator it is called the North, and on
the other the South Pacific.

Packersville, p.v. Clearfield Co. Pa.

Pactolus, p.v. Sullivan Co. Ten.

Pacy. a town of France, department of Eure,
on the Eure. 11 m. E. of Evreux.

Padang. a sea-port on the W. coast of Suma-
tra. in the possession of the Dutch. It was taken
bv tbe British in 1751, and again in 1794; but
nnallv surrendered to the Dutch in 1814. In
1797 it was almost totally destroyed by an earth-
quake. and inwards of 300 lives were lost. Long.

99. 49. E.. lat. 0 50. S.

Pcadingic.iL. a village in Middlesex, Eng. 1 m.
W. bv N. of London. From the number o? build-
ings erected of late years it is now joined to the
metre re-; is. bat tbe parish still contains some
beantifa! rural snots and handsome seats. A ca-
nal passes hence to the Grand Junction Canal
near Brentford.

Paidftosna. ».▼ Hampshire Co. Va.

Paderborn, an ancient principality of West-
phalia. 4*1* m long and 25 broad, remarkable for
its bacon and venison. It now belongs to Prus-
sia.

Paderborn. a fortified town of Prussian West-
phalia, formerly capital of
a principality of
the same name.’ The rivulet Pader rises under
the high altar of the cathedral, and in the collegi-
ate church are the remains of St. Blase. The
most remarkable of the convents is the college
formerly belonging to the Jesuits, and here is al-
so a celebrated university. It is 52 m. E. S. E.
of Munster. Long.
8. 55. E., lat. 51. 41. N.

lllllllll

lllllllll

lllllllll

lllllllll

lllllllll

lllllllll

lllllllll

IIIIP

lllllllll

lllllllll

lllllllll

lllllllll

lllllllll

lllllllll

''Ili

“I.

2

3

4

5

6

?

8

9

1

0 1

1 1

2 1

3 1

4


Padron, a town of Spain, in Galicia, seated on
the Ulla, 12 m. S. of Compostella.

Padstow, a town in Cornwell, Eng. with a con-
venient harbour, and some coasting trade. It is
seated at the mouth ofthe Camel, on the Bristol
Channel, 30 m. W. of Launceston and 243 W. by
S. of London.

Padua, a province of Austrian Italy, in the
government of Venice, 40 m. long and 35 broad,
hounded by Rovigo, Verona, Vicenza, Treviso,
and Venice. It is well watered, and one of the
most fertile countries in Italy.

Padua, a fortified city of Italy, capital of the
above province, and a bishop’s see. It is 7 m. in
circumference, but much less considerable than
formerly ; for great part of the area within the
walls is unbuilt, and the town in general so thin-
ly inhabited that grass grows in many of the
streets. The houses are built with piazzas, which
when the town was in a flourishing state, may
have had a magnificent appearance ; but they now
rather give it a gloomy air. The cathedral is one
of the richest in Italy : in the sacristy is a statue
ofthe celebrated Petrarch, who was a canon of
the church, and left to it a part of his library. The
Franciscan church is dedicated to St. Antonio,
the patron of the city, whose body is enclosed in
a sarcophagus, under an altar in the middle of
the chapel. Near this church is the school of St.
Antonio, where many of the actions of the saint
are painted in fresco, some of them by Titian.
The church of St. Justina is remarkable for its
rich Mosaic pavement. The hall of the town-
house is one of the largest in Europe, and con-
tains the cenotaph of Livy, who was a native of
Padua. The university, once so celebrated, is
now on the decline. Here are manufactures of
cloth, silk, ribands, and leather, all on a small
scale. Padua was taken by the French in 1796 .
It is seated on the Brenta and Bachiglione, in a
fine plain, 20 m. W. by S. of Venice. Long. 11.

53. E., lat. 45.14. N.

Padula, a town of Naples, in Principato Citra,

14 m. N. of Policastro.

Pagahm, a decayed city of Birmah, anciently
capital of a province of the same name. It is said
to have been abandoned in the 13th century in
consequence of a divine admonition. The re-
mains of its ancient splendor are numerous
mouldering temples, and the vestiges of a fort.
It is seated on the Irrawaddy, 110 m. S. W. of
Ummerapoora. Long. 94. 34. E., lat. 21. 10. N.

Pagtsrille, p.v. Newberry Dis. S. C.

Pagliano, a town of Naples, in Abruzzo Ultra,

15 m. E. S. E. of Aquilla. '

Pago, an island in the gulf of Venice, separated
from Dalmatia by a narrow channel. It is 20 m.
long and
6 broad, chiefly barren, and the soil
stony ; but it is well peopled, contains salt works,
and produces wine and honey. The chief town
is ofthe same name. Long. 51. 10. E., lat. 44
40. N.

Pahang, a sea-port on the E. coast of the penin





PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE

This page was written in HTML using a program
written in Python 3.2