to the Netherlands after the fall of Napoleon. It
is seated on both sides the Scheldt, 12 m. S. of
Ghent, and 29 W. of Brussels.
Oudenburg, a town of the Netherlands, in W.
Flanders, 8 m. S. E. of Ostend.
Oudenwater, a fortified town of the Netherlands,
in the province of Utrecht, the birth-place of the
celebrated James Arminius ; seated on the Little
Yssel, 10 m. W. S. W. of Utrecht.
Oudipour, or Meywar, a territory of Hindoostan,
in the province of Agimere, belonging to the Raj-
poots, and lying E. of the river rudda. It con-
sists in general of mountains, divided by narrow
valleys accessible only by narrow passes, and
abounds with fortresses. See Cheitore.
Oudipour, the capital of the above territory, is
seated on the Banass, 134 m. S. S. W. of Agimere
and 175 N. E. of Amedabad. Long. 74. 4. E.,
lat. 25. 28. N.
Ouen-teheou, a city of China, of the first rank,
in Tche-kian, at the mouth of a river, with a good
harbour, 300 m. S. S. E. of Nan-king. Long. 121.
10. E., lat. 23. 2. N.
Ougein, a city of Hindoostan, in the province
of Malwa, the residence of one of the Western
Mahratta chiefs. It is six m. in circumference,
surrounded by a strong wall, with round towers.
Here are four mosques, several Hindoo temples,
and a modern palace. It is seated on the Sippara,
which flows into the Chumbul, 150 m. N. by W.
of Burhampour. Long. 75. 56. E., lat. 23. 26. N.
Oitlz. a town of the Sardinian states, in • Peid-
mont, seated in a valley, 12 m. S. W. of Susa.
Oundle, a town in Northamptonshire, Eng. on
the Nen, over which are two bridges, 26 m. N. E.
of Northampton and 78 N. by W. of London.
Oural, or Ural Mountains. See Ural.
Ourem, a town of Portugal, in Estremadura,
seated on a mountain, 12 m. W. of Tomar.
Ourfa. See Orfa.
Ourique, a town of Portugal, in Alemtejo, cele-
brated for a victory obtained by Alphonso, king
of Portugal, over five Moorish kings, in 1139.
The heads of these five kings are the arms of
Portugal. It is 26 m. S. W. of Beja.
Ouse, a river in Yorkshire, Eng. formed of the
Ure and Swale, which rises near each other in
the romantic tract called Richmondshire, and
unite at Aldborough It flows thence through
York, where it is navigable for considerable ves-
sels ; and after receiving the Wharf, Derwent,
Aire, and Don, it meets the Trent on the bor-
ders of Lincolnshire, where their united streams
form the Humber.
Ouse, a river in Sussex, Eng. in St. Leonard
Forest, the other in the forest of Worth. It flows
by New Haven, and enters the English Channel.
Ouse, or Grand River, a river of Upper Cana-
da flowing southernly into Lake Erie, near its
eastern extremity. Here begins the Welland
Canal, which See
Oussore, a town and fort of Hindoostan, in My-
sore, taken by the English in 1792. 19 m. S. E.
of Bangalore and 69 E. N. E. of Seringapatam.
Outeiro, a town and fortress of Portugal, in
Tras os Montes, seated on a mountain 9 m. S. E.
Oterjlackee. an island ofthe Netherlands, in S.
Holland, between the mouths ofthe Meuse. Som-
merdyck is the principal town.
Overton, a county of W. Tennessee. Pop. 8,
246. Monroe is the capital. Also a p.v. Perry Co.
Overysche, a town of the Netherlands, in Bra-
bant, seated on the Ysche, 8 m. N. E. of Brus
Overyssel, a province of the Netherlands, boun-
ded on the N. by Friesland and Groningen, E. by
Hanover and Westphalia, S. by Guelderland,
and W. by the Zuyder Zee. It is nearly equai
in extent to the whole of N. and S. Holland, and
contains many morasses. Its greatest riches con-
sist in turf, which is dug up here, and sent to the
neighbouring provinces : the other exports are
cattle, butter, cheese, hides, tallow, wool, and lin-
en. Zwolle is the capital.
Ovid, ph. Seneca Co. N. Y. between Seneca
and Cayuga Lakes. Pop. 2,756.
Ouisconsin, a river of Michigan or N. W. Ter-
ritory, rising between Lakes Michigan and Supe-
rior and falling into the Mississippi at Prairie du
Chien. It is 350 m. in length.
Ovidopol, a town and fort of Russia, in the gov-
ernment of Catherinenslaf. It had its name from
a curious antique tomb, supposed to be that of the
poet Ovid, discovered in 1795. It is seated at the
mouth of the Dniester. 60 m. S W. of Oczakow
Long. 30. 22. E., lat. 46.10. N.
Oviedo, a town of Spain, capital of Asturias
dOvietk), and a bishops see, with a university
Near it are the hot springs of Rivera de Ahajo,
which bear some resemblance to those of Bath.
It is seated at the conflux of the Ove and Deva,
which form the Asta, 55 m. N. N. W. of Leon.
Long. 5.53. W., lat. 43. 20. N.
Owasco, a lake in Cayuga Co. N. Y. flowing
into Seneca river.
Owasco, ph. Cayuga Co. N. Y. Pop. 1,350.
Owego, ph. Broome Co. N. Y. 30 m. S. E.
Owen, a county of Kentucky. Pop. 5,792.
Owenton is the capital; a county of Indiana.
Pop. 4,060. Spencer is the capital.
Owenton, ph. Owen Co. Ken., 20 m. N. E.
Frankfort. Pop. 143.
Owenville, p.v. Gibson Co. Ind., 190 m. S. W.
Owingsville, p.v. Bath Co. Ken., 70 m. E
Owyhee, or Hawaii, the largest and most east-
ern of the Sandwich Islands, in the Pacific
Ocean. Its length from N. to S. is 84 m. and its
breadth 70. It is divided into 6 districts, 2 of
which, on the N. E. side, are separated by a moun-
tain, which rises in three peaks, the summits of
which are 18,000 feet above the level of the sea ;
they are perpetually covered with snow, and may
be seen at 40 leagues distance. To the N. of
this mountain the coast consists of high and abrupt
cliffs, down which fall many beautiful cascades ;
and the whole country is covered with cocoa-nut
and bread-fruit trees. To the S. the ground is
covered with cinders, and in many places has
black streaks, which seem to mark the course of
a lava that has flowed from the mountain to the
shore. The southern promontory looks like the
mere dregs of a volcano. The projecting head-
land is composed of broken and craggy rocks pil-
ed irregularly on one another, and terminating
sharp points; yet amid these ruins, are many
patches of rich soil, carefully laid out in planta-
tions. The fields are enclosed by stone fences,
and are interspersed with groves of cocoa-nut
trees. Here Captain Cook, in 1779, fell a victim
to a sudden resentment of the natives, with
whom he unfortunately had a dispute. The .in-
habitants, formerly devoted to the most degrad-
ing superstition, have within a few years wholly