Ir> broad, lying in the counties of Armagh, Down,
Antrim, Londonderry, and Tyrone. The river
Bann flows through it.
Neath, a corporate town of Wales, in Glamor-
ganshire. In the neighbourhood are iron forges,
smelting works for copper, and coal mines; and
on the other side of the river are the extensive
remains of an abbey. A great quantity of coal is
exported hence in small vessels. It is situate on
the river Neath, near the Bristol Channel, 27 m.
S. W. of Brecknock and 198 W. ofLondon.
Neath, a river of Wales, which rises in Breck-
nockshire, and runs through Glamorganshire, by
tiie town of Neath, into the Bristol Channel.
Neh, a river in the Isle of Man, which runs into
the 1 risii Sea at Peel Castle.
S Nclrio, or Ncbbio, a ruine.d city on the N. side of
the isiand of Corsica, 1 mile from St. Fiorenzo.
j Nebra, a town of Prussian Saxony, in Thurin-
gia. on the Unstrut, 12 m. N. N. W. of Naumburg.
Neckar, a river of Germany, which rises in
' Wurtemberg, flows by Rothwiel, Tubingen, Es-
slingen, Heilbron, and Heidelberg, and enters
tiie Rhine at Manheim. This river gives name
to three departments of Wurtemberg, Upper,
Lower, and Middle, and also to the two following
Neckar, a circle of the grand duchy of Baden,
comprehending that part of the Lower Palatinate
lying to the E. of the Rhine. Manheim is the
Neckar, one of the four circles of Wurtemberg,
comprehending the W. part of the kingdom, ac-
cording to the division made in 1818.
Neckargernund, a town of Baden, on the Neck-
ar. 5 m. E. of Heidelberg.
Neckarsulm, a town of Wurtemberg, seated at
the conflux of the Neckar and Sulm, 5 m. N. of
Nedroma, a town of Algiers, in the province
of Mascara, surrounded with magnificent ruins.
It is 50 in. W. S. W. of Oran. Long. 0. 38. W.,
lat. 35. 40. N.
Nedsjed, an extensive province of Arabia,
bounded N. by the desert of Syria, E. by Lachsa,
S. by Hadramaut and Yemen, and W. by Heds-
jaz. Tiie soil is various, and in many parts very
fertile. The Bedouins inhabit a great part of this
province; the remainder is mountainous, and
contains a great number of towns, almost every
one of which has its own chief.
Needham, a town in Suffolk, Eng. seated on
the Orwell, 9 m. N. W of Ipswich and 74 N.
Needham,ph. Norfolk Co. Mass. 12 m. S.W. Bos-
ton. Pop. 1,420. It is seated on the river
Charles, and has manufactures of paper.
Needles, a cluster of rocks in the English Chan-
nel, at the W. end of the Isle of Wight, so called
from their height and sharp extremities. Here is
a light-house. Long. 1. 33. VV., lat. 50. 44. N.
Ncthcehmc, one of the Sandwich Islands, in the
N. Pacific, five leagues W. of Atooi. The E.
coast is high, and rises abruptly from the sea: the
rest of it consists of low ground, except a round
bluff head on the S. E. point. Long. 160. 15.
W., lat. 21. 50. N.
Neerwinden, a village of the Netherlands, in N.
Brabant, a httle N. by W. of Landen. Hence
the two celebrated battles of Landen are some-
times called by the name of Neerwinden. See
Nefta, a town of the kingdom of Tunis, 250 m.
S by W. of Tunis Long. 9. 25. E., lat. 30. N.
Negapatam, a city of Hindoostan in the dis
trict of Tanjore, on the coast of Coromandel. If
was first a colony of the Portuguese, but was ta
ken by the Dutch; and the latter were disposses-
sed of it by the English in 1782. The port is not
extraordinary ; but most of the different nations
in India are here settled, and trade under the pro-
tection of the fort. The Wesleyan Methodists
have two missionaries here. It is 50 m. E. of
Tanjore and 166 S. by W. of Madras. Long. 79.
56. E., lat. 10. 46. N.
Negara, a town of the isle of Borneo, capital
of the kingdom of Banjermassing ; situate on the
E. side of the river Banjer, 60 in. N. of the town
of Banjermassing. Long. 114. 0. E.,lat. 1. 40. S
Negombo, a sea-port on the W. coast of the
isle of Ceylon, with a fort built by the Portu-
guese. It was taken in 1640 hy the Dutch, who
evacuated it to the English in 1796. It is 16 m.
N. of Coluinbo. Long. 79. 55. E., lat. 7. 20. N.
Negrais, an island on the E. side of the bay of
Bengal, at the mouth of Basien River, the most
western branch of the Irrawaddy, with an excel
lent harbour. Long. 94. 30. E., lat. 16. 0. N.
Negril Point, the most westerly promontory of
the island of Jamaica. Long. 78. 23. W., lat. 18
Negro Cape, a promontory of Africa, on the
coast of Benguela, being the most southerly
country to which the Europeans usually resort to
purchase slaves. Long. 11. 40. E.,lat. 16. 15. N.
Negroland, or Nigritia, a large country in the
interior of Africa, through which the river Niger
flows from W. to E. It is called by the Arabs
Soudan, a word of similar import to the European
appellation, signifying the Land of the Blacks
It extends from long. 10. W. to 27. E., and from
lat. 10. to 25. N.; being bounded on the N. by
the Zahara and the mountains which separate it
from the states of Barbary, on the E. by Nubia
and Abyssinia, on the S. by countries unknown
and Guinea, and W. by Guinea, Fouli,and Zaha-
ra. Of this vast country little is known more than
the names of some ofthe towns and great kingdoms
of which it is composed. Some parts, particularly
on the river Niger are said to be exceedingly fer-
tile; other parts are represented as sandy and desert.
Among the animals of the territory may be no-
ticed the Panther, a fierce insidious and cruel an-
imal who attacks not only beasts, but man, taking
the precaution always to approach him from be
hind. Major Denham saw one killed in this
country, above 8 fleet in length. The principal
territory known is Bornou. The general charac-
ter of the negroes, who are the inhabitants of this
region, is that of levity. They do not appear to
want the feelings of humanity, nor are they more
destitute of sagacity than other people of an equal
degree of education; but as their country sup-
plies them with food by a very slight degree of