flax and hemp, but very little timber. The empe
ror is absolute, his will being a law, and he often
exercises great cruelties. His naval force con-
sists chiefly of rovers, who now and then take
large prizes. He can bring 100,000 men into the
field, half of whom are foot and half horse ; but
they are poorly armed ana know but little of the
art of war. The recent capture of Algiers by the
French will no doubt entirely change the politi-
cal character of this despotic government.
Morocco, a city of the foregoing empire, seated
in a beautiful valley, formed by a chain of moun-
tains on the N. and those of Atlas on the S. and
E. Though not equal to Fez in magnitude and
population, it is generally considered the capital,
being the most usual residence of the emperor.
It has nothing to recommend it but its great ex-
tent and the royal palace. It is surrounded by
strong walls, 8m. in circumference. The mosques
are very numerous and some of them magnifi-
cent. The best houses are enclosed in gardens;
but the generality of them serve only to impress
the traveller with the idea of a miserable and de-
serted city. The Jews, who are numerous, have
a separate town, walled in, and under the charge
of an alcaid, appointed by the emperor. It has 2
gates, which are regularly shut every evening at
nine, after which hour no person can enter or de-
part. Morocco is 90 m. E. of Magador and 400
S. of Gibraltar. Long. 7. 15. W., lat. 30. 57. N.
Moron, a town of Spain, in Andalusia, with a
castle: near it is a mine of precious stones. It is
30 m. S. E. of Seville.
Morotoi, one of the Sandwich Isles, 7 m. W.
N. W. of Mowee. Yams are its principal produce ;
but it has little wood. The coast, on the S. and
W. sides forms several bays. Long. 117. 14. W.,
lat. 21. 10. N.
Morpeth, a borough of Northumberland, Eng.
It stands on the N. bank of the Wansbeck, and
on the opposite side are the parish church and the
ruins of a castle. Here are also a chapel of ease,
a Roman Catholic chapel, two meeting-houses, a
free grammar school founded by Edward VI., an
English free school erected in 1792, a dispensary
opened in 1817, and a mechanics institute com-
menced in 1825. The other principal buildings
are the town-hall, and the new county gaol, house
of correction, Ac. 15 m. N. of Newcastle and 2'9
N. by W. of London.
Morris, a county of New Jersey. Pop. 23,580.
Morristown is the capital. Also townships in
Huntingdon, Greene and Washington Cos. Pa.
Morrison, a township in-Jackson Co. Ohio.
Morristown, ph. St. Lawrence Co. N. Y. Pop.
1,618; ph. Morris Co. N. J., 19 m. N. W. New
York ; p.v. Belmont Co. Ohio. 120 m. E. Colum-
Morrisville, p.v. Madison Co. N. Y., Bucks and
Green Cos. Pa., and Fauquier Co. Va.
Morsona, a town of Naples, in the Molise, 14
m. N. E. of Molise.
Mortagne, a town of France, department of
Orne, famous for its serges and tanneries. 19
m. E. N. E. of Aleneon and 70 W. S. W. of
Mortagne, a town in the department of Nord,
seated at the conflux of the Scarpe and Scheldt,
8 m. S. E. of Tournay.
Mortagne, a town in the department of Lower
Charente, on the Gironde, 24 m. S. S. W. of
Mortagne, a town in the department of Vendee,
where a battle was fought between the roya/sts
and republicans, in 1793, in which the former
are said to have lost 20,000 men. It is 36 m. N
of Fontenay le Comte.
Mortain, a town in the department of Manche,
on the rivulet Lances, almost surrounded by
craggy rocks, 18 m. E. of Avranches.
Mortare, a town of the Sardinian Milanese. 22
m. S. W. of Milan.
Mortay, or Martero, an island in the Eastern
Seas, formerly subject to the Sultan of Ternate.
It is 80 m. in circumference, and thinly inhabited,
but full of sago trees, which are cut by the peo-
ple of Gilolo. Long. 128. 23. E., lat. 2. 15. N.
Mortlaeh, a village of Scotland, in Banffshire,
where Malcom II., in memory of a victory gained
over the Danes, founded a bishopric, which was
translated to Aberdeen by David I.; the ancieirt
cathedral is now used as the parish church. 6 m.
S. W. of Keith.
Mormedro, a town of Spain, in Valencia, on the
site of the ancient Saguntum, with the ruin of a
Roman amphitheatre, Ac. It is seated on a riv-
er of the same name, 15 m. N. of Valencia.
Mosa, a town of Arabia, in Yemen, 25 m. N. by
E. of Mocha.
Mosambique, a straight or channel of the Indi-
an Ocean, between the E. coast of Africa and the
island of Madagascar. It is the narrowest in the
middle, where it is 240 m. over.
Mosambique, a city and sea-port, the principal
settlement of the Portuguese on the E. coast of
Africa. It stands on an island of the same name,
not more tnan 3 m. m length and half as mucn
in breadth, and about 2 m. from the continent.
The city is handsome, and the buildings well con-
structed, especially the churches and convents :
the fort, or castle, is about a musket shot from
the city. The Portuguese have generally a good
garrison here, a well stored magazine, and a large
hospital for sick sailors. Their ships always call
here in going to the E. Indies: and the harbour
is so commodious that whole fleets may anchor
and provide themselves with all necessaries.
Long. 41. S. E., lat. 15. 5. S.
Mosbadi. a town of Germany, in the grand
duchy of Baden, with a castle, and manufactures
of cloth and salt; seated on the Neckar 18 m. E.
Mosburtr, a town of Bavaria, seated at the
conflux ofthe Amber with the Iser, 24 m. N. 11. of
Moscovy. See Russia.
Moscow, formerly a duchy, but now a govern
ment of Russia ; bounded on the N. by the gov-
ernment of Tver, E. by that of Great Volodimir,
S. by the government of Kaluga and Resan, and
W. by those of Tver and Smolensko. It is a
fruitful country, and a considerable portion is laid
out in gardens and orchards.
Moscow, the capital of the above government,
and formerly of the whole empire. Previous to
the invasion of the French, it was the largest city
in Europe, the circumference within the rampart
that enclosed the suburbs being 20 m.; but its pop.
did not correspond with its extent. It contained,
within the ram parts ,300,000 souls and was the most
populous city in the empire, notwithstanding the
residence cf the court was at Petersburg. Moscow
is rendered memorable in history, for one of the
most extraordinary events that ever took place.
In June 1812, the French entered Russia with such
an immense army that they threatened to sweep
every thing before them like a torrent; and it was
generally expected that if they once reached this