Montgomery, ph. Franklin Co. Vt. Pop. 460 ,
p.t. Hampden Co. Mass. 12 m. N. W. Spring-
field. Pop. 579; ph. Orange Co. N. Y. Pop. 3,887.
Also towns and villages in Somerset Co. N.
J., Montgomery and Franklin Cos. Pa., Rich-
mond and Franklin Co. Ohio, and Montgomery
Montgomery, a borough of Wales, capital of
Montgomeryshire. Here are the ruins of a cas-
tle which was destroyed in the civil wars. Of late
years the town has received considerable improve-
ments ; the market-house has beeneularged, and a
new county gaol erected ; many of the buildings
are large and handsome. It stands on the side of
a hill, at a short distance from the Severn, 168 m.
N. W. of London.
Montgomeryshire, a county of Wales, 36 m.
long and 34 broad. Though barren and moun-
tainous in many parts, it has a greater mixture of
fertile vale and plain than several of the Welsh
counties. Its riches proceed from its sheep and
wool, the hilly tract being almost entirely sheep-
walks ; and the flocks, like those of Spain, are
driven from distapt parts to feed on them during
the summer. This county also affords mineral
treasures, particularly lead ; and it abounds with
slate and lime ; but there is no coal. Its princi-
pal rivers are the Plynlimmon, Severn, Vymew,
and Tannat, all of which are noted for affording a
varietv of fish, particularly salmon.
Montoomerytille, p.v. Gibson Co. Indiana.
Mont a it yon, a town of France, in the depart-
ment of Lower Charente, 43 m. S. S. E. of Saintes.
Montieello, ph. Sullivan Co. N. Y. 40 m. W.
Newburg; ph. Fairfield Dis. S. C. 35 m. N. Co-
lumbia ; p.v. Jasper Co. Geo. 32 m. N. W. Mil-
ledgeville, p.v. Lawrence Co. Mississippi. 10 m.
E. Natchez; ph. Wayne Co. Ken. 100 m. S. Frank-
fort ; p.v. Lawrence Co. Arkansas. Also the
seat of the late President Jefferson, Albermarle
Co. Va. 2 m. E. Charlottesville.
Montiel, a town of Spain in New Castile, 22 m.
W. of Alcaraz and 70 E. S. E. of Calatrava.
Montignac, a town of France, in the department
of Dordogne, on the Vezere, 21 m. E. S. E. of
Monti Ha, a town of Spain in Cordova, 18 m. S.
S. E. of Cordova.
Monir-lliers, a town of France, department of
L >w-?r Seine, on the small river Lazarde, 6 m. N.
M aL v. a town of the Prussian province of
L-i ver R .ne. with a fortified castle on a hill; sit-
uate a in -ng ragged rocks, 16 m. S. S. E. of Aix-
a town of France, in the department
of Lower Charente, 40 m. S. S. E. of Saintes.
.V rvwdf. a town of France, department of Up-
p/>r Pvronfes. with a regular fortress on a rock, at
the ;'•> -t of the Pyrenees, for the protection of the
frontier*- Its 40 m. W. by S. of Perpignan and
439 S. nf Parrs. Long. 2. 5. E., lat. 42. 30. N.
M-jni'uevn. item of France, department of Al-
lier. with maa-xfactnres of lace, ribands, serge,
&c., seated on the Cher. 35 m. VV. S. W. of Mou-
MontlmA. a town of France, department of Ain,
on the Seraine, 9 m. S. £. of Trevoux.
Mimtmaramlt a town of France, department of
Allier, 28 m. S W. ®f Moulin*.
Montmcdy, a town of France, department of
Meuse, seated on the river Chiere. which divides
it into Upper and Lower Town, 21 m. N. of Ver-
Montmirel, a town, of France, department oi
Marne, rendered memorable for two severe bat-
tles fought n its vicinity between the French
and the allies on the 12th and 14th of February,
1814. It is 33 m. W. by S. of Chalons sur Marne
and 55 E. of Paris.
Montmorenei, a small stream flowing into the
St. Lawrence from the N. 9 m. below Quebec.
Here is a beautiful cataract with a perpendicular
descent of 246 feet.
Montmorency, a town of France, department of
Seine-et-Ofae, 10 m. N. of Paris.
Montmorillon, a town of France, department of
. Vienne, seated on the Gartempe, 25 m. S. E. of
Montana, a town of Austrian Illyria, in Istria,
16 m. E. S. E. of Umago.
Montpelier, one of the largest, richest, and most
beautiful cities of France, in the department of
Herault, and a bishops see, with a university in
which is a celebrated school of medicine, and a
botanic garden, the first establishment in Europe.
Here are also one of the great provincial schools,
a special school of medicine erected in 1801, an
anatomical theatre, an extensive library, a liter-
ary society, &c. The town-house is remarkable
for its halls, which are embellished with fine paint-
ings. The number of inhabitants is computed at
33,990. Its trade consists in silks, blankets, car-
pets, cotton goods, gauzes, hides, &c. The air is
extremely healthy, and a great number of invalids
flock hither from all parts. Montpelier is the seat
of the departmental administration, and is situa-
ted on an eminence between the small rivers Lez
and Merdanson, about 5 m. from the Mediterra-
nean, with which it communicates by the Canal
de Grave. 30 m. S. W. of Nismes and 47 N. E.
of Narbonne. Long. 3. 58. E., lat. 43. 37. N.
Montpelier, ph. Caledonia Co,_ Vermont, and
the seat of government for the state. It has a
central situation on Onion river; the site is low
and surrounded by hills. The town has consider-
able manufactures and 2 weekly newspapers.
Montpelier, p.v. Hanover Co. Va. and Rich-
mond, Co. N. C. Also the seat of President Madi-
son in Orange Co. Va.
Montreal, a district of Lower Canada, compri-
sing the counties of York, Effingham, Leinster,
Warwick, Huntingdon, Kent, Surrey, Bedford,
Richelieu, and Montreal.
Montreal, a fertile island and county of Low-
er Canada in the river St. Lawrence, 30 m. long
and 10 broad; surrendered by the French to the
English in 1760.
Montreal, city, stands on the eastern side of the
above island. It makes a fine appearance from a dis-
tance with its compact mass of buildings, roofed
with sheets of tin, and overtopped by church spires
glittering with the same metal. Behind it rises
a mountain spotted with orchards. The houses
are mostly of stone, or plastered to resemble it,
and are low with a heavy look; the streets are
narrow. The cathedral is the largest church in
North America except that of Mexico; it is 255
feet long and 134 wide and is capable of contain-
ing 10,000 people. The college is a large edifice
of stone, and has 300 students. The General Hos-
pital or Convent of the Grey Sisters was establish-
ed in 1753 and is under the management of a Supe-
rior and 19 Nuns. The other objects worthy of
notice axe Nelsons Monument, the Museum, and
the Parade, a beautiful public ground. This city
is the principal depot ofthe Northwestern Fur