Tarn-et-Garonne, with a celebrated Protestant
university. It is the see of a bishop, restored in
1817. Here are manufactures of silk stockings,
stuffs, serges, shalloons, &c. This town was
taken from the Huguenots in 1629, and the forti-
fications were demolished. In the reign of Louis
XIV. it was depopulated by the dragounades, and
in. 1815 it suffered much from a persecution rais-
ed against the Protestants by an infuriated rabble.
It is seated on an eminence, on the river Tarn, 20
m. N. of Toulouse and 30 S. of Cahors.
Montbeliard, a town of France, department of
Doubs, with a castle on a rock. It has a good
trade in linen, leather, and cutlery, and near it is
a considerable iron mine. It is seated at the con-
fluence of the Savoureuse with the Luzine, which
soon after joins the Doubs, 10 m. S. S. VV. of Be-
fort and 47 N. E. of Besanqon. Long. 6. 56. E.,
lat. 47. 30. N.
Montbrison, a town of France, capital ofthe de-
partment of Loire, celebrated for its medicinal
? waters. It is seated on the Vezize, 40 m. W. S.
. W. of Lyons Long. 4. 7. E., lat. 45. 34. N.
i Monldidier, a town of France,' department of
Soinine, seated on a mountain, 22 m. S. S. E. of
Amiens and 58 N. by E. of Paris.
Monte Alcino, a town of Tuscany, famous for
producing the best wine in Italy, called Mus-
eatella di Monte Alcino. It is 24 m. S. S. E. of
Monte Alto, a town of Italy, in Ancona, 14 m. S-
S. W. of Ferma
Monte Christo, a town, river, bay, and cape on
the N. side of St. Domingo. The cape is a high
hill, in the form of a tent, called by the French
Cape la Grange. Long. 71. 50. W., lat. 19. 54.
N.—Also a chain of mountains in St. Domingo,
extending from Monte Christo Bay to the bay of
Monte Faleo, a town of Italy, in the papal
states, near the river Clitumno, 12 m. W. of
Monte Fiascone, a town of Italy, in the papal
states, near the lake Bolsena, 12 m. N. N. W. of
Monte Fossoli, a town of Tuscany, in the Pisano,
IS m. E. by N. of Leghorn.
Monte Leone, a town of Naples, in Calabria Ul-
tra, and a bishops see, 12 m. N. N. E. of Nico-
Monte Leone, a town of Naples, in Principato
Ultra, 9 m. N. of Benevento.
Monte Marano, a town of Naples, in Principato
Ultra, near the river Cahore, 18 m. S. of Bene-
Montrc Peloso, a town of Naples, in Basilicata,
near the river Basiento, 14 m. E. of Acerenza.
Monte Santo. See Athos.
Monte Verde, a town of Naples, in Principato
Ultra, 16 m. N. E. of Conza.
Monte Video, a sea-port of Banda Oriental, at the
mouth of the Rio de la Plata, and the capital of
the territory. The town is surrounded by a strong
wall, and the principal trade consists in hides.
It is seated at the foot of a lofty conical moun-
tain, on the N. side of the river, 140 in. E. of Bue-
nos Ayres. Long. 53. 25. W., lat_34. 35. S.
Montechio, a town of Austrian Italy, in the pro-
vince of Brescia, near which the French defeated
the Austrians in 1796. 10 m. S. E. of Brescia.
Montego Bay, a sea-port, on a bay of the same
name, on the N. side of the island of Jamacia.
Long. 78. 0. W., lat. 18. 30. N.
Montelimart a town of France, department of
Drome, with an ancient citadel, and manufac-
tures of wool, silk, and leather. It is seated in a
fertile plain, near the Rhone, 25 m. S. of Valence
and 50 N. of Avignon.
Montemor o Novo, a town of Portugal, in Alem-
tejo, on the Canna, 15 m. W. N. W. of Evora and
55 E. of Lisbon.
Montemor o Velho, a town of Portugal, in Beira,
with a castle, seated on the Mondego, 106 m. N.
by E. of Lisbon.
Monlereau, a town of France, department of
Seine-et-Marne, celebrated for a battle fought here
on the 17th of February 1814, between the allies
and the French, in which the former were defeat-
ed with great loss. It has a trade in corn, &c.,
and is seated on the Seine, at the influx of the
Yonne, 15 m. S. E. of Melun.
Monterey, a sea-port of New Albion, in a juris-
diction of its name. It comprehends an area of
300 yards long by 250 wide, is walled round, and
has a fort, with a small kind of blockhouse a lit-
tle above the top of the wall, at each corner of
the square. It stands on the S. E. part of a spa
cious bay of its name. Long. 121. 34. W.. lat. 37
Mohtesa, a town and fortress of Spain, in Valen-
cia, 9 m. W. S. W. ofSan Felipe.
Montesquieu, a town of France, in the depart-
ment of Upper Garonne,15 m. S. S. E. of Toulouse
Montesquiou, a town of France, department of
Gers, 11 m. W. S. W. of Auch.
Montezuma, ph. Cayuga Co. N. Y. on the Erie
canal. 12 m. W. Auburn.
Montferrand, a town of France, now forming a
suburb to Clermont, which see.
Montferrat, a duchy of Italy, forming a part of
the Sardinian states, and bounded by Piedmont,
the Milanese, and Genoa, from which last it is
separated by the Apennines. It i s very fertile
and well cultivated, abounding in corn, wine, oil,
Montfort, a town of France, in the department
of Seine-et-Oise, 16 m. W. of Versailles.
Montfort, a towin of France, department of Ule-
et-Vilaine, 12 m. W. of Rennes.
Montfort, a fortified town of the Netherlands, in
Utrecht, seated on the Yssel, 7 m. S. W. of
Montfort, a town of the Austrian States, in Ty-
rol, 6 m. N. ofFeldkirch.
Montgatz, or Munkacs, a town of Hungary, with
a fortress, composed of three castles, seated on a
craggy rock. It is'encompassed by a great mo-
rass; and was defended three years by the wife
of count Tekeli, the leader ofthe Hungarian mal-
contents,near the close of the seventeenth century.
It is 152 m. E. S. E. of Cracow. Long. 21. 55.
E., lat. 48. 26. N.
Montgomery, a county of New York Pop. 43,
595. Johnstown is the capital; a county of tbe E
District of Pennsylvania. Pop. 39,404. Norristown
is the capital; a county of Maryland. Pop. 19,
816. Rockville is the capital; a county of the
W. district of Virginia. Pop. 12,304. Christians
burg is the capital, a county of Ohio. Pop. 24,252
Dayton is the capital, a county of Kentucky
Pop. 10,221. Mount Sterling is the capital; a
county of W. Tennessee. Pop. 14,365. Clarkes
ville is the capital; a county of Alabama. Pop
12,694. Montgomery is the capital ; a county of
Missouri. Pop. 3,900. Lewistown is the capital
a county of Illinois. Pop. 2,950. Hillsborough is
the capital; a county of Indianna. Pop. 7(336.
Crawfordsville is the capital.