Middlesex, p.t. Washington Co. Vt. 6. m. N.
Montpelier. Pop. 1,156; p.t. Ontario Co. N. Y. on
Middlesex Canal, unites the Merrimack with
Boston harbour, passing through the county of
that name in Massachusetts. It is 31 m. long,
24 feet wide and 4 fact deep. It has 16 locks
and a descent of 107 feet from the summit level.
It was begun in 1793 and finished in 1804, at a
cost of above 700,000 dollars.
Middleton, a town in Lancashire, Eng. The
church is au ancient edifice ; and there are five
meeting-houses, and a free grammar school. It
has the cotton trade in all its branches, a large
twist manufacture, considerable bleaching works,
some manufactures of silk, and extensive dye
works. It sfands on the Rochdale Canal, 6 m
N. hy E. of Manchester and 190 N. N. W.
Middleton, a town of Ireland, in the county of
Cork, situated on the N. W. angle of Cork har-
bour. 13 m. E. of Cork.
Middleton, p.t. Strafford Co. N. H. 28 m. N. E.
Concord. Pop. 562; p.t. Rutland,Co. Vt. 36 m. W.
Windsor. Pop. 919; p.t. Essex Co. Mass. 9 m.
N. W. Salem. Pop. 607; p.t. Delaware Co. N. Y.
Pop. 2,383; two townships N. and S. in Cumber-
land Co. Pa. and a township in Columbia Co. Pa.
Middletoicn, p.t. Middlesex Co. Conn. on
Connecticut river, 15 m. below Hartford. Pop.
6,876. The town stands on a bend of the river, and
has manufactures of cotton, woolen, swords, rifles,
&c. On the opposite bank of the river are quar-
ries of freestone. Also towns and villages in
Newport Co. R. I. Pop. 915; Orange Co. N. Y.;
Brookhaven, Suffolk Co. N. Y.; Monmouth Co.
N. J. 50 m. E. Trenton; Dauphin, Washington,
Bucks, Delaware and Susquehanna Cos. Pa.
Newcastle Co.Del.; Frederick and Dorchester Cos.
Md.; Frederick Co. Va.; Sullivan Co Ten.; Jef-
ferson Co. Ken.; Butler and Hamilton Cos. Ohio.
Middletoicn Point, p.v. Monmouth Co. N. J.
14 m. N. W. Shrewsbury.
Middleville, p.v. Herkimer Co. N. Y. 90 m. N.
Middleway, p.t. Jefferson Co. Va.
Middlewich, a town in Cheshire, Eng. The
trade of the place is chiefly derived from the
surrounding neighbourhood, which is a great
farming district; to which may be added the ex-
tensive salt works, and some silk factories. Here
are a spacious church, three meeting-houses, and
a free grammar school. The Trent and Mersey
Canal runs through the town, and it is seated
on the Croco, near its confluence with the Dane,
24 m. E. of Chester, and 167 N. W. of London.
Midhurst, a borough in Sussex, seated on the
Arun, 50 m. W. by S. of London.
Midrmpour, a town of Hindoostan, in Orissa,
capital of a district of the same name. It is seat-
ed near a river that flows into the Hoogly, 70 m.
W.by S. of Calcutta. Long. 87. 25. E., lat. 22.
Midway, atown in Liberty Co. Geo. 30 m. S.
Mies, a town of Bohemia, in the circle of Pil-
Ben, on the river Nisa, 18 m. W. of Pilsen.
Mifflin, a county of the AV. district of Pennsyl-
vania. Pop. 21,529. Lewistown is the cap-
ital. Also towns in Alleghany, Cumberland, Ly-
coming Franklin, and Dauphin Cos. Pa. and
Richland and Pike Cos. Ohio.
Mifflijibvrgk, p.t. Union Co. Pa. p.v. Columbia
Mifflintown, p.v. Mifflin Co. Pa.
Mikalida, a town of Asiatic Turkey, in Nato-
lia, with a fort; situate on a river which runs
into the sea of Marmora, 55 m. W. by S. of Bursa.
Milan, or the Milanese, a country ©f Italy bound
ed on the N. by the Alps,E. hy the A'enetian
territory, S. by the Apennines, and AV. by
Piedmont. The soil is every where fertile in corn,
wine, fruits, rice, and olives ; and there are also
plenty of cattle. The rivers are the Seccia, Ti-
cino, Adda, Oglio, and Po. There are likewise
several lakes, the three principal of which are
those of Maggiore, (Homo, and Lugano. Milarv,
with other countries in Italy, was long comprised
under the general name of Lombardy. In the
14th century it became a duchy. The campaign
of prince Eugene, in 1706, put it in possession ol
the house of Austria, to whom, with the excep-
tion of the Sardinian Milanese, it continued sub-
ject during 90 years, until the victories of Napo-
leon in 1796. In 1797 it was formed into four de-
partments, as the Cisalpine republic; but in 1814
after several other changes,the part belonging to
the king of Sardinia was restored,and the remain-
der incorporated with the Lombardo-Venetian
Kingdom, or Austrian Italy. The Austrian Mi-
lanese forms, along with the duchy of Mantua
and the Valteline, the government of Milan. It
is divided into 8 delegations, and contains 7,700,
sq. m., with 2,100,000 inhabitants. The Sardinian
Milanese, which lies to the W. of the Austrian,
is divided into 9 districts, comprising an area of
3,300 square miles, and containing 560,000 in-
Milan, a city of Italy, capital of the Lombardo-
Venetian Kingdom, and the see of an archbishop
The city is 10 m. in circumference ; but the gar-
den grounds are so extensive that it does not con-
tain above 140.000 inhabitants. It stands in a de-
lightful plain, between the rivers Adda and Tici-
no, which communicate with the city by means
of two canals. The cathedral, in the centre of
the city, is a splendid specimen of Gothic archi-
tecture, and, next to St. Peters at Rome, is the
most considerable in Italy. This vast fabric is
built of white marble, supported by 50 columns,
and adorned, within and without, by a prodigious
number of marble statues. The other public
buildings are the university, several colleges, the
convents, the hospitals, the theatres, the mansions
of the minister of finance, of the minister of the
interior, and of the archbishop, and the former du-
cal palace, now the residence of the Austrian
viceroy. In the Piazza di Castello is an arena
in imitation of the amphitheatre of Verona, which
is capable of containing 30,000 spectators. The
college of St. Ambrose has a library, which, be-
sides a prodigious number of manuscripts, con-
tains 60,000 printed books; and its superb gal
lery is adorned with rich paintings. The chief
trade of Milan is in grain (especially rice), cattle,
and cheese; and the manufactures of silk and
velvet stuffs, stockings, handkerchiefs, ribands
gold and silver lace and embroideries, woolen and
linen cloths, glass, porcelain, &c. It has been
many times taken in the wars that have desola
ted Italy. The French took it in 1796. It was
retaken by the Austrians and Russians in 1799;
but again possessed by the French in 1800, and
retained by them till the fall of Napoleon in 1814.
It is 280 m. N. W. by N. of Rome. Long. 9. 12.
E., lat. 45. 28. N.
Milan, p.v. Huron Co. Ohio. 123 m. N