and is seated on the river Mayenne, 45 m. W. N.
N. of Mans. Long. 0. 43. W., lat. 48. 18. N.
Mayfield, p.t. Montgomery Co. N. Y. Pop.
2,614. Also a township of Cuyahoga Co. Ohio,
and a village of Hickman Co. Ken.
Mayhew, a village among the Choctaw Indians
in the north-eastern part of Mississippi. Here is
a missionary station.
Maynesborough, a township of Coos Co. N. H.
16 m. E. Lancaster.
Maynooih, a town of Ireland, in the county of
Kildare. Here is a royal college for students in-
tended for the Romish church ; also a college for
lay students of the same persuasion, established
in 1802. It is 12 m. W. of Dublin.
Mayo, a county of Ireland, in the province of
Connaught, 62 m. long and 52 broad; bounded
E. by Roscommon, S. by Galway, W. and N. by
the Atlantic, and N. E. by Sligo. It is divided
into 76 parishes, contains about 294,000 inhabit-
ants, and sends two members to parliament. The
VV. coast is mountainous, and thinly inhabited;
but the interior produces excellent pasturage,
and is watered by several lakes and rivers. The
fisheries are very productive. In 1827,1,180 boats,
with 5,169 persons, were employed in Westport
alone. Mayo gives the title of earl to the family
of Bourke. The principal town is Castlebar.
Mayo, a town of Ireland, once the capital of
the county of its name, but now a poor place, 9
mi. S. E. of Castlebar.
Mayo, one of the Cape Verde islands, 20 m. in
circumference. The N. E. end is low, and the
land rises gradually till it arrives at a volcanic
mountain, to the S. W. of which is irregular
ground, soon followed by a high peak, much more
lofty than the volcanic cone. The soil in general
is barren, and water is scarce ; but there are plen-
ty ofbeeves, goats, and asses; as also some corn,
yams, potatoes, plantains, figs, and water-melons.
The chief commodity is salt. Long. 23. 5. W.,
lat. 15. 10. N.
Mayo, p.v. Rockingham Co. N. C. 97 m. N. W.
Mayorga, a town of Portugal, in Estremadura,
near the Atlantic, 67 m. N. of Lisbon.
Mayslick, p.v. Mason Co. Ken. on the N. Fork
of Licking river.
Maysville, p.t. Mason Co. Ken. on the Ohio,
66 m. above Cincinnati, 63 N. E. Lexington.
Pop. 2,040. It stands on a narrow bottom below
the mouth of Limestone creek, and has considera-
ble trade and manufactures.
Maytown, t. Lancaster Co. Pa.
Mayville, p.v. Chatauque Co. N. Y. on Cha-
Mayioar. See Oudipour.
Mazagan, a sea-port of Morocco, near the Atlan-
tio, 8 m. W. of Azamor and 120 N. of Morocco.
Long. 8. 15. W., lat. 33. 2. N.
Mazanderan, a province of Persia, bounded N.
by the Caspian Sea, W. by Ghilan, S. by the lof-
ty mountains of Elburz, which separate it from
Irak and E. by Khorassan. It is a fertile coun-
try, and the mountains on its S. boundary are
covered with timber trees; but the climate is
moist and unhealthy. Sari is the capital.
Mazara, a sea-port of Sicily, in Val di Mazara,
and a bishops see. It has a capacious harbour,
and is built on the rains of the ancient Sesinun-
tum, 45 m. S.„W. of Palermo. Long. 12. 30. E.,
lat. 37. 53. N.
Maziera, or Maceira, an island in the Arabian
Sea, on the coast of Oman, 60 m. long and from
4 to 8 broad. Long. 59. 30. E., lat. 20 30
Meaco, a city of Niphon, in Japan, formerly the
metropolis of the whole empire. It is still the
ecclesiastical capital, the residence of the aairo,
or spiritual sovereign, and the centre of literature
and science. The palace and some of. the tem-
ples are of extraordinary magnificence. A num-
ber of the finer manufactures, particularly japan-
work, painting, carving, &c., are carried on here.
The town is seated in a fine plain, 160 m. W. S
W. of Jeddo. Long. 153. 30. E., lat. 35. 24. N.
Mead, townships in Crawford and Belmont
Meadia, a town of Hungary, in the bannat of
Temeswar. It was taken by the Turks in 1738
and 1789, and is 23 m. S. E. of Temeswar.
Meadsville, p.v. Crawford Co. Pa. Here is an
institution called Alleghany College, founded in
1815. It has a library of 8,000 volumes and is
tolerably well endowed.
Meadsville, p.v. Halifax Co. Va. 150 m. S. W.
Richmond, p.v. Franklin Co. Mississippi, 30 m.
S. E. Natchez.
Jlfeco, one of the smaller Moluccas, in the In
dian Ocean, with a good harbour. Long. 127. 5.
E., lat. 1. 12. N.
Meansville, p.v. Bradford Co. Pa.
Mearns. See Kincardineshire.
Meath, or East Meath, a county of Ireland, in
the province of Leinster, 43 m. (English) long
and 36 broad ; bounded N. by Cavan and Louth,
E. by the Irish Sea, S. by Kildare and Dublin,
and W. by West Meath. It is divided into 18
baronies and 147 parishes, contains 159,183 in-
habitants, and sends two members to parliament.
It formerly contained several small bishoprics,
which were gradually united into tone see, and
received the name of Meath in the twelfth cen-
tury. There is no cathedral, and the episcopal
palace is at Ardbraccan, a village near Navan
The agriculture of this county is now in a very
flourishing state. The soil in general is a rich
fertile loam, producing abundance of corn, and
feeding numerous sheep and cattle. Trim is the
Meath, West, a county of Ireland, in the pro-
vince of Leinster, 42 m. long and 35 broad;
bounded N. by Cavan, E. by East Meath, S. by
Kings county, W. by Roscommon (from which
it is separated by the Shannon), and N. W. by
Longford. It is divided into 11 baronies (besides
half the barony of Fore) and 59 parishes, with
parts of seven others, contains about 130,000 in-
habitants, and sends three members to parliament.
It is very fertile in corn and pasturage, and has
several lakes and rivers. This county gives the
title of marquis to thfe family of Nugent. Mul
lengar is the county town.
Meaux, a large and populous town of France,
department of Seine-et-Marne. The market-
place is a peninsula, contiguous to the town,
which was formerly well fortified. In the cathe-
dral is the tomb of the celebrated Bossuet, bishop,
of Meaux. It is seated on both sides of the
Marne, 25 m. N. E. of Paris Long. 2. 53. E.,
lat. 48. 58. N.
Mecca, a city of Arabia, famous as the birth-
place of Mahomet. It is seated in a barren val-
ley, surrounded by many little hills, consisting
of a blackish rock. The houses follow the wind-
ings of the valley, and are built partly on the de-
clivities upon each side. The streets are regular
level, and convenient. The chief support of the