roads extend from Baltimore toward the Ohio
This state was settled in 1663 by catholics who
fled from persecution in England. The present
constitution was formed in 1776.
Maryland,p.t. Otsego Co. N. Y. 67 m. W. Albany.
Maryport, a town in Cumberland, Eng. with a
good harbour. In 1750 it was only a poor fishing
town ; but it has now upwards of 5,000 inhabitants
who employ upwards of 130 vessels, from 50 to
250 tons burden, in the coal or coasting trade.
Here are three ship-yards, and some manufac-
tures ; and near the town is the Roman station,
Virosidum, where several altars and statues have
been dug up. Besides the parish church, here
are 5 meetinghouses, and a national school. Ma-
ryport is situate at the mouth of the Ellen, in the
Irish Sea, 28 m. S. W. of Carisle and 312 N. N.
W. ofLondon. Long. 3. 22. W., lat. 54. 35. N.
Maryville, p.v. Charlotte Co. Va. 60 m. S. W.
Marysville, p.v. Campbell Co. Va. 160 m. S.
W. Richmond, a town of Union Co. Ohio, 27 m.
N. W. Columbus, p.v. Harrison Co. Ken. 35
m N. E. Lexington, p.v. Blount Co. Ten. 12 m.
Marza, a town of Sicily, in Val di Noto, noted
for its salt; 10 m. S. by W. of Noto.
Mas d Agenois, a town of France, department
of Lot-et-Garonne, on the river Garonne, 24 m.
N. W. of Agen and 50 S. E. of Bordeaux.
Mas d Asil, a town of France, department of
Arriege, with a benedictine abbey seated on the
Clisse, 8 m. S. W. of Pamiers.
Masafuero, an island in the Pacific Ocean, 80
m. W. of Juan Fernandez. It is high and moun-
tainous but lowest to the N., and at a distance
appears like a hill or rock. It is uninhabited,
except by numerous seals and goats. There
is also plenty of wood, but difficult to be got off;
the heavy surf allows of no good landing place.
Long. 81. 40. W., lat.33. 40. N.
Masbate, one of the Philippines, about 80 m. in
circumference; the natives are tributary to the
Spaniards. Long. 123. 25. E.,lat. 12. 18. N.
Masbrough, a village in W. Yorkshire, Eng.
on the river Don, adjoining the bridge of Rother-
ham. Here are considerable iron works, where all
sorts of hammered and cast-iron goods are made.
Mascara, the western province of Algiers, 370 m.
long and 130 broad. It is dry, barren, and moun-
tainous, except on the N. where there are plains
abounding in corn, fruit, and pastures. The S.
parts are inhabited by independent wandering
tribes, particularly the Angad tribe.
Mascara, the capital of the above province, with
a strong castle, in which the bey resides. In
1732 it was an inconsiderable place ; but is now
populous and flourishing. It is not so large as
Tremesan, but surpasses it in beauty, having a
great number of good houses and mosques, it is
seated in a fertile district, 45 m. E. S. E. of Or-
an and 190 S. W. of Algiers. Long. 0.40. E.,
lat. 35. 54. N.
Mascot, a sea-port on the E. coast of Arabia,
with an excellent harbour. It has a castle on a
rock, and is very strong both by nature and art,
though the buildings are mean. It was taken, in
1508, by the Portuguese, who retained it for a
century and a half. The cathedral, built by the
Portuguese, is now the imaums palace. There
is no vegetation to be seen on the sea-coast near
it, and only a few date trees in a valley at the
aaek of the town, though the inhabitants have all
things in plenty The bazaars are covered with
the leaves of date trees, laid on beams which reach
from the house tops on one side to those of the
other. The inhabitants are Mahomedans. Great
Britian recognises the flag of Mascat as neutral,
and in time of war it has often been the medium
of communication with the enemies ports. It is
seated on a small bay of the Arabian Sea. Lon*.
59. 26. E., lat. 23. 30. N.
Masham, a town in N. Yorkshire, Eng. with
manufactures of coarse woolen cloths ; seated on
the Ure, 7 m. S. E.of Middleham and2l8N.N.
W. of London
Mashanagur, a town of Candahar, province of
Cabul, situate on the Seward, 48 m. N. of Attock
and 130 E. S. E. of Cabul. Long. 71. 7. E., lat
33. 54. N.
Maskelane Isle, a small beautiful island, in the
S. Pacific, lying off the S. E. point of Mallicollo,
one of the New Hebrides. Long. 167. 59. E., lat.
16. 32. S.
Masmunster, a town of France, department of
Upper Rhine, 25 m. S. S. AV. of Colmar.
Mason, ph. Hillsborough 'Co. N. H. 36 m. S.
Concord. Pop. 1,403; a village in Pike Co. Miss.
Mason, a county of the W. district of Virgin-
ia. Pop. 6,534. Point Pleasant is the capital. A
county of Kentucky. Pop. 16,205. Washington is
Mason Hall, p.v. Orange Co. N. C. 52 m. N.
Masonville, ph. Delaware Co. N. Y. Pop.
Masovia, a palatinate of Poland, bounded by
Prussian Poland, the palatinates of Sendomir and
Kalisch, and Vistula. The name formerly includ-
ed a province of much greater extent. AA'arsaw is
Massa, a town of Italy, capital ofthe duchy ot
Massa Carrara which is famous for its quarries oi
fine marble. The town and its territory belonged to
Tuscany, but they are now independent. It is
seated on the river Frigido, 3 m. from the sea and
30 N. by W. of Leghorn. Long. 10. 10. E., lat.
44. 2. N. Pop. of the duchy 29,000; of the
Massa, a town of Tuscany, in Siennese. Borax
and lapis lazuli are found in the neighbourhood.
It is seated on a mountain near the sea, 35 m.
S. W. of Sienna. Long. 11. 3. E., lat. 43.
Massachusetts, one of the New England States
bounded N. by N. Hampshire, E. by the ocean,
S. by the ocean and the states of Rhode Island and
Connecticut, extending from 41. 23. to 43. 52. N
lat. and from 69. 50. to 73. 10. W. long. 190 m
in extreme length from E. to W. and 90 in breadtk
and containing 7,500 square miles. The Green
Mountains extend from Vermont into the western
part of this state where they form two ridges cal-
led the Hoosac and Tagkannuc Mountains. Far-
ther to the East the White Mountain range en-
ters from New Hampshire and passes southerly
to the east of Connecticut river, dividing below
Northampton into the Mount Tom, and Lyme ran-
ges. There are no considerable ridges farther east,
but several detached eminences are scattered here
and there, the most easterly of which is Mount
Wachusett in Princeton. The highest point is
Saddle Mountain, an eminence of the Tagkan-
nuc ridge in the north-western corner of the state
this is 4,000 feet in height, few of the other peaks
exceed 3,000. The rivers o f Massachusetts are
the Connecticut which intersects the western