Meurthe. In its castle the dukes of Lorrain form-
erly kept their court, as did afterwards king Stan-
islaus. In 1801 a treaty of peace was concluded
here between Franoe and Austria. Luneville is
seated in a plain between the rivers Vesoul and
Meurthe, 14 m. E. S. E. of Nancy,and 62 W. of
Strasburg. Long. 6. 30. E., lat. 48. 36. N.
Lungro, a town of Naples, in Basilicata, chief-
ly inhabited by Greeks, 35 m. N. N. W. of Co-
Lupow, a town of Pomerania, on a river of the
same name, 15 m. E. ofStolpe.
Luray, p.v. Shenandoah Co. Va.
Lure, a town of France, department of Upper
Saone, celebrated for a late abbey of Benedic-
tines, converted, in 1764, into a chapter of nobje
canons. It is seated near the Ougnon, 30 m. N.
11. of Besangon.
Lurgan, a town of Ireland, in the county of Ar-
magh, with an extensive linen manufacture, 14
in. N. E. of Armagh, and 67 N. of Dublin.
Lusatia, a margraviate of Germany, 90 m. long
and 60 broad; bounded on the N. by Branden-
burg, E. by Silesia, S. by Bohemia, and W. by
Saxony. It is divided into Upper and Lower Lu-
satia, formerly two distinct states, which became
subject to Saxony and formed a province of that
power until 1815. The whole of Lower Lusatia,
which forms the northern part of the margraviate
now belongs to Prussia, as does also one half of
Upper Lusatia, which is included in the govern-
ment of Liegnitz : the part that remains to Sax-
ony is computed at 1,170 sq. m. with 170,000 in
habitants. Upper Lusatia abounds more in moun-
tains and hills than the Lower, in which are
many boggy and moorish tracts, yet it is the most
fruitful. The breeding of cattle is very consider-
able, and there is plenty of game ; hut the prod-
ducts of the country do not supply the necessities
of the inhabitants. This want is compensated by
its numerous manufactures, particularly those of
cloths and linens.
Lusignan, a town of France, department of Vi-
enne, seated on the Vonne, 15 m. S. S. W. of
Luso, a river of Italy, which rises in the duchy
ofUrbino, crosses part of Romagna, and enters
the gulf of Venice 10 m. N. of Rimini.
Luton,a town of Bedfordshire, Eng. with a mar-
ket on Monday. It is situate on the river Lea,
18 m. S. of Bedford, and 31 N. by W. of London.
Luiterberg, a town of Hanover, in the princi-
pality of Grubinhagen, seated on the Oder, 15 m.
S. of Gozlar.
Lutterworth, a town in Leicestershire, Eng. It
has a large and handsome church. Wickliff, the
celebrated reformer, was rector, and died here,
in 1387. Lutterworth has little trade, being prin-
cipally supported by the neighbouring opulent
graziers. It is seated on the river Swift, 14 m.
S. of Leicester, and 88 N. Win of London.
Lutzdstein, a town of France, department of
Lower Rhine, with a strong castle, seated on a
mountain, 30 m. N. W. of Strasburg.
Lutzen, a town of Saxony, in the principality
of Merseherg, belonging to Prussia, with a cas-
tle. Near tins glace, in 1632, Gustavus Adolphus,
king of Sweden, was killed in a battle, at the
moment of victory. Lutzen is also celebrated for
the defeat of the united forces of Russia and Prus-
sia, by Bonaparte, in May, 1813. It is seated
on the Elster, 21 m. W. S. W. of Leipzig.
Luxemburg, a province of the Netherlands,
bounded by the Prussian stales on the Rhine, a
part of the French frontier, and the Belgic prov
inces of Namur and Liege, and comprising a su
perficial area of 2,400 sq. m. with 226,000 inhabi-
tants. It gives the title of grand duke to the
sovereign. The surface is mountainous and
woody, being traversed by branches of the Arden-
nes ; and the climate is colder than that of the
other provinces. The principal river is the Mo
selle. Corn, potatoes, flax, and some wine are
raised ; the rearing of cattle forms an important
branch of industry ; and there are manufactures
of woolen and iron ; but the chief wealth of the
province consists in its forests, which occupy up-
wards of 460,000 acres. It is divided into the
districts of Luxemburg, Dietkirch and Neufcha-
Luxemburg, the capital of the above province,
and one of the strongest towns in Europe. It is
divided by the Alsitz into the Upper and Lower
Town; the former almost surrounded by rocks,
but the latter seated in a plain. In 1795 it sur-
rendered to the French, but was restored in 1814.
It is 22 m. W. S. W. of Treves, and 130 S. E. of
Brussels. Long. 6. 10. E., lat. 49. 37. N.
Luxeuil, a town of France, department of Up-
per Saone, near which are some mineral waters
and warm baths. It is seated at the foot of the
Vosges, 14 m. from Vesoul.
Luyo and Chillaos, a province of Peru, bounded
E. by mountains, N. and N. W. by the province
of Jaen, and S. E. by that of Caxamarca. It is
54 m. in length, and 24 in breadth, and contains
3,500 inhabitants. The capital has the same name,
and is in long. 77. 41. W., lat. 5. 33. S.
Luzara, a strong town of Austrian Italy, in the
province of Mantua, where a battle was fought
between the Austrians and the French and Span-
iards, in 1702, when each side claimed the victory.
It is seated near the conflux of the Crostolo with
the Po, 16 m. S. of Mantua.
Luzarches, a town of France, department of
Seine-et-Oise. 19 m. N. of Paris.
Luzerne, a county in the AV. District of Penn-
sylvania, bounded N. by Tioga county, New
York, E. and S. E. hy Northampton, and W. by
Lycoming and Northumberland counties. It is
about 79 m. in length and 75 in breadth, and is
divided into 12 townships. Pop. 27,304. Wilkes-
barre is the chief town.
Luzerne, a township of Fayette Co. Pa. at the
grgat bend of the Monongahela
Lycoming, a county of the W. District of Penn-
sylvania. Pop. 17,637. Williamsport is the cap-
ital. Also a township in the same county, and a
small stream falling into the W. branch of the
Luion. See Luconia.
Lydd, a town in Kent, Eng. It is a member
of the cinque port of Romney, and seated in Rom-
ney Marsh, 25 m. S. W. of Dover, and 72 S. E.
Lyge, a town of Norway, near a lake of the same
name, 16 m. N. W. of Christiansand.
Lyman, a township of York Co. Me. 27 m. N
York. Pop. 1,502.
Lyme, or Lyme Regis, a borough and sea-port in
Dorsetshire, Eng. It is seated on the side of a
craggy hill, on the river Lyme, at the head of a
little inlet: and its harbour is formed by two very
thick walls, called the Cobbe. Here the duke of
Monmouth landed, in 1685, for the execution ot
his ill-judged design against James II. Lyme is
the birth-place of Thomas Coram, the benevolent
patron and contriver of the Foundling Hospital