and New town, the latter of which is fortified.
It is seated on a rocky eminence, on the river
Chiers, 32 m. N. N. W. of Mentz. Long. 5. 44.
E., lat. 49. 32. N.
Lonieera, p.v. Baldwin Co. Geo.
Lons le Saulnier, a town of France, capital of
the department of Jura. It derives its name from
the salt springs in its vicinity, and is seated on
the Sol van, 6if m. S. E. of Dijon. Long. 5. 30.
E.. lat. 46. 37. N.
Loo, a town of the Netherlands, in W. Flanders,
10 in. N. N. WT. of Ypres.
Loo-choo, or Litou-kiou, the general name of 36
islands lying between Formosa and Japan. The
Great Loo-choo is 50 m. long and from 12 to 15
broad ; the others are inconsiderable. They were
very imperfectly known to Europeans, till visited
by captain Hall and Mr. MLeod on their return
from the late embassy to China. The climate
and soil seem to be among the happiest on the
globe. The fruits and vegetable productions are
of the most exquisite description. The inhabi-
tants are diminutive in their stature, but strong,
and well made. Their disposition appears to be
peculiarly gay, hospitable, and affectionate, but
they showed that strong aversion to receive stran-
gers into their country which is characteristic of
China, Japan, and all the neighbouring regions.
The king is tributary to China, and the govern-
ment resembles that of the Chinese. The capital
is Kin-tching, about 5 m. from its port of Napa-
kiang. Long. 127. 52. E., lat. 26. 14. N.
Looe, East and West, two decayed boroughs in
Cornwal, Eng. separated by a creek, over which
is a narrow stone bridge. They are supported
chiefly by the pilchard fishery, and an inconsid-
erable coasting trade. Together they send as
many members to parliament as the city of Lon-
don. The market, held at East Looe, is on Sat-
urday. 13 m. W. of Plymouth, and 233 W. by
S. of London.
Lookout, Cape, a cape of N. Carolina, S. of
Cape Hatteras, and opposite Core Sound. Long.
76/48. W., lat. 34. 22. N.
Lookout Mountain, a ridge in the Northwestern
part of Georgia extending to Tennessee river.
Looz, or Lootz, a town of the Netherlands, in
the province of Liege, 14 m. N. N. W. of Liege.
LopatkafCape, the S. extremity of Kamtschatka.
Long. 156. 45. E., lat. 51. 0. N. See Kwriles.
Lopham, North and South, two adjoining par-
ishes in Norfolk, 4 m. S. E. of East Harling.
Lopo Gonsalve, Cape, a long and narrow pen-
insula on the coast of Guinea, low, flat, and cov-
ered with trees. It affords a good harbour, and
near the cape is a village, where provisions are
plentiful. Long. 8. 30. E., lat. 0. 45. S.
Loop, p.v. Giles Co. Va. 274 m. W. Richmond.
Lora, a town of Spain, in Seville, on the Gua-
dalquivir, 28 m. N. E. of Seville.
Loramie, a township of Shelby Co. Ohio.
Lorain, a county of Ohio. Pop. 5,696. Elyria is
Lorbus (the ancient Laribus Colonia), a town
of the kingdom of Tunis, with a castle, and fine
remains of antiquity. It is seated in a plain, fer-
tile in corn, 150 m. S. W. of Tunis. Long. 9. 0.
E., lat. 35. 35. N.
Lorca, a town of Spain, in Murcia, divided into
the Upper an! Lower Town. The former has
narrow, crooked, and ill paved streets; the latter
is regularly and neatly built. It contains nine
churches and several monasteries, and has exten-
sive manufactures of saltpetre. In 1802 the
bursting of an immense reservoir, containing
water for the purpose of irrigation, occasioned
much damage to the town. It is seated on an
eminence near the Sengonera. 40 m. W. S. W.
of Murcia. Long. 1. 22. VV., lat. 37. 25. N.
Lord Howe's Group, an extensive group of
islands, in the S. Pacific, thickly covered with
wood, among which the cocoa-nut is very distin-
guishable. The natives are of a dark copper
colour; their hair tied in a knot on the back of the
head; and they seem to have some method of ta-
king off the heard; for they appear as clean
shaved. Their arms and thighs are tattooed in
the manner described by Captain Cook of some
of the natives of the islands he visited in these
seas; and some are painted with red and white
streaks.—They wear a wrapper round their mid-
dle. Long, from 159. 15. to 159. 37. E., lat. 5.
Lord Howe's Island, an island in the Pacific
Oceanf discovered in 1788 by lieutenant King.
Many excellent turtle have been caught here on
a sandy beach ; and it abounds with a variety of
birds, which were so unaccustomed to be disturb
ed that the seamen went near enough to knock
them down with a stick. At its end are two
high mountains, nearly perpendicular from the
sea, the southernmost named Mount Gower.
About 14 m. to the S. is a remarkable rock, named
Balls Pyramid, which at a distance had much the
appearance of a steeple. The island is 3 1-2 m.
long and very narrow. Long. 159. 0. E., lat. 31.
Lorenzo, San, a town of Mexico, province of
New Biscay, with 500 inhabitants, whoseuemploy-
ment consists in cultivating the grape.—There are
numerous settlements and inconsiderable islands
of this name in South America.
Loreo, a town of Austrian Italy, in Rivigo, on
the Adige, 20 m. E. of Rivigo.
Loretto. a fortified town of Italy, in the papal
states. The cathedral contains the Casa Santa
or Holy House, in which it is pretended the vir
gin Mary lived at Nazareth. According to the
legend, it was carried by angels from Galilee into
Dalmatia, and thence to the place where it now
stands. This house, or chapel, is 31 feet long, 15
broad, and 18 high; the inner part very old, but
cased with marble on the outside. The famous
lady of Loretto, who holds the infant Jesus in her
arms, stands upon the principal altar, in a niche
of silver; this statue is of cedar wood, three feet
high, but her face can hardly be seen, on account
ofthe numerous gold and silver lamps around her.
She is clothed with cloth of gold, set off with
jewels; and the little Jesus is covered with a
shirt, holds a globe in his hand, and is adorned
with rich jewels. Those who go on pilgrimage
to Loretto, after having performed their devotion,
make the Virgin a present; so that the treasure
of this chapel is immensely rich. The inhabitants
of this towin subsist principally by agriculture
and gardening, and many of them are shoemakers,
tailors, and sellers of chaplets. Loretto was taken
by the French in 1796, and the church despoiled
of its treasures: even the Virgin was carried
away but restored in 1802. It is seated on a
mountain, 3 m. from the gulf of Venice, 12 S. E
of Ancona, and 115 N. E. of Rome. Long. 13.
36. E., lat. 43. 27. N.
Loretto, p.v. Essex Co. Va. 75 m. N. E. Rich-
Lorgues, a town of France, in Provence, on the
Argens, 16 m. W. of Frejus.