marble. Here is a manufacture of woolen cloths,
and it is famous for excellent cheese. In the
neighbourhood are quarries of different kinds of
marble, and good mines of calamine coal. Lim-
hurg was taken by the French in 1793; but in
1814 they delivered it up to the allies. It is seat-
ed on a mountain near the river Weze, 20 m. E.
of Liege. Long. 6. 3. E., lat. 50. 28. N.
Limburg, a town of Germany, in the duchy of
Nassau, with a fine cathedral. The Austrians
defeated the French on the heights near this
place in 1766. It is seated on the Lahn, 26 m.
N. W. of Frankfort.
Lime, a town in Dorsetshire. See Lyme Regis.
Limekilns, a town of Scotland, in Fifeshire, on
the coast of the Forth. It is famous for great
lime-works, has a good tide harbour for small
vessels, and is 4un. S. W. of Dumfermline.
Limerick, a county of Ireland, in the province
of Munster, bounded on the N. by the river
Shannon, which separates it from the county of
Clare, W. by Kerry, S. by Cork, and E. by Tip-
perary. It is 50 English m. long, from E. to W.,
and 32 broad from N. to S., and contains an area
of 970 square m. with 218,432 inhabitants, ex-
clusive ofthe city of Limerick. It is divided into
10 baronies, and 125 parishes, and sends two
members to parliament. The principal rivers are
the Deel, Maig, Comogue, Feale, Gal, and Black-
water, besides the noble river Shannon, which
may rather be said to flow by the county. The
surface of the county is tolerably level, but shel-
tered on the S. E. by a range of mountains called
the Galteas; and the fertility ofthe soil is prover-
bial. To the N. ofthe Galteas lies the tract of
land denominated for its fertility the Golden
Vein, and on the banks of the Shannon lie the
carlaghs, or swamps, on which a quantity of man-
ure is annually deposited by the overflowing of
Limerick, a city of Ireland capital of the above
county, and generally considered the metropolis
of the province of Munster. It was formerly well
fortified, and reckoned the second city in the
kingdom, but has long since yielded that rank to
Cork. Limerick is a county of itself, and a
bishops see, and is divided into the Irish and
English town, the latter being built on an island
of the Shannon called Kings Island. The inhab-
itants are estimated at upwards of 40,000, and it
has a market on Wednesday and Saturday. The
linen, woolen, and paper manufactures are carried
on to a great extent; and the export of provisions
is considerable. Besides the cathedral and other
churches, it has a modem episcopal palace, many
hospitals, and other handsome public structures.
King William was obliged to raise the siege of
this city in 1690; but in 1691, the garrison sur-
rendered on a very honorable capitulation. It is 40
m. S. S. E. of Galway,and 94 W. S. W. of Dublin.
Limerick, ph. York Co. Me. Pop. 1,426 ; p.v.
Jefferson Co. N. Y. and a township of Montgom-
ery Co. Pa. 25 m. W. Philadelphia.
Limestone, a county of Alabama, on Tennessee
river. Pop. 14,643. Athens is the capital.
Limington, ph. York Co. Me. on the Saco, 22 m.
W. Portland. Pop. 2,320.
Limmat, a river of Switzerland, formed by the
junction of the Mat and the Linth, the former
issuing from the N. W. extremity of the lake
Wallenstadt, and the latter flowing from the S.
The Limmat flows N. AV., passes through the
lake of Zurich, and unites with the Aar below
Limne, or Limpne, a village in Kent. Eng. near it
are the remains of a fortress called Stutfall Castle.
It was formerly a port, but is now 2 m. from the
sea. The Roman road from Canterbury, callea
Stanes Street, ended here. 3 m. S. AV.ofHithe
and 64 S. E. of London.
Limoges, an ancient town of France, depart
ment of Upper Vienne. It is a trading place, and
the inhabitants are estimated at 20,000. It is
seated on the Vienne, 110 m. E. of Bordeaux.
Long. 1. 20. E., lat. 45. 50. N.
LimosinyO r Limousin, a late province of France,
divided into the Upper and Lower Limosin, the
former of which is cold and hilly, but the latter
is teinperdte and fertile. It contains mines of
lead, copper, tin, and iron, and now forms the
departments of Upper Vienne and Correze.
Limoux, a town of France, department of
Aude, with manufactures of woolen, leather, and
soap. It is seated on the Aude, 50 m. S. E. of
Lincoln, a city and the capital of Lincolnshire,
Eng. It is situate on the river Witham,is divi-
ded into Upper and Lower Town, and has two
suburbs. Formerly it contained 52 churches, now
reduced to 15. It is a bishops see, and the dio-
cese, though much reduced, is still the largest in
England. The cathedral stands on the brow of
the hill, and is admired for its rich and light arch-
itecture. The great bell of the cathedral, called
Tom of Lincoln, required 15 able men to ring it,
but has been forbidden to be used, in consequence
of the decay of the tower in which it hangs.
Here are several meeting-houses for different de-
nominations of dissenters, a catholic chapel, a
national school erected in 1814, and several other
schools and charitable institutions. Of the castle,
huilt by William I., few vestiges remain, but the
ruins of religious houses are so numerous that
the very barns, stables, &c., are built with arch-
ed doors and windows. Newport Gate, on the N.
side of the city still remains, and is one of the
noblest remnants of Roman architecture left in
Britain. Lincoln is a county of itself, governed
by a mayor. The chief trade is in coal, brought
by the Trent and Fossdike; and oats and wool,
which are sent by the Witham. Here is a small
manufacture of camlets. It is 32 m. N. E. of
Nottingham, and 131 N. by AV. of London. Lon*.
0. 25. W., lat. 15. 53. N.
Lincoln, a county of Maine, on the Kennebec
and washed by the ocean. Pop. 57,181. Wis-
cassetis the capital; a county of N. Carolina on
the Catawba. Pop. 22,625. Lincolnton is the cap
ital; a county of Georgia, on the Savannp.h. Pop.
6,137. Lincolnton is the capital; a county of
Kentucky on Green river. Pop. 11,012. Stanford
is the capital ; a county, of W. Tennessee, on
Elk river. Pop. 22,086. Fayetteville is the capi-
tal ; a countyof Missouri on the Mississippi. Pop
4,060. Troy is the capital.
Lincoln, a township of Grafton Co. N. H. Pop
50; a township of Addison Co. Vt. Pop. 639; a
town in Middlesex Co. Mass. Pop. 709; and a
town in Mercer Co. Ken.
Lincolnshire, a large maritime county of Eng
land, bounded on the N. by the Humber, which
divides it from Yorkshire. It contains 2,888 sq
m., is divided into 30 hundreds, and 630 parishes;
has one city, and 31 market towns; and sends 12
members to parliament. The coast is flat, and
at low water may be seen the submarine relics of a
forest, which is a great natural curiosity. The
principal rivers are the Humber, Trent, Witham,