the Androscoggin, 30 m. W. Wiscasset. Pop.
1,549. Also a p.t. Niagara Co. N. Y. on Niagara
river opposite Queenstown, at the head of ship
navigation from Lake Ontario. Pop. 1,528. p.t
Montgomery Co. Missouri.
Lewistown, p.t. Sussex Co. Del. on Delaware
Bay, 3 m. within Cape Henlopen. This town
was bombarded by the British fleet during the late
war, but without any effect. Salt is made here
by solar evaporation. Also a p.v. Mifflin Co. Pa.
on the Juniata, 55 m. N. W. Harrisburg.
Lewisville, p.v. Brunswick Co. Va. 70 m. S.
Richmond, p.v. Chester Dis. S. C. 72 m. N.
Columbia, p.v. Blount Co. Tenn. 176 m. E.
Lexington, p.t. Middlesex Co. Mass. 11 m. N
W. Boston. Pop. 1,541. This town will be ever
memorable in American history, as the spot where
the first blood was shed in the revolutionary con
flict. This took place on the 19th April 1775. A
monument has been erected on the green at Lex-
ington in commemoration of the event.
Lexington, a town of Kentucky, chief of Fay
ette county, and formerly the capital of the state
It has six edifice? for public worship, a university,
and a court-house. The trade is considerable, and
the manufactures numerous and flourishing. Pop.
6,104. Near this town are to be seen curious
sepulchres, full of human skeletons, which are
fabricated in a method totally different from that
now practised by the Indians. In the neighbour-
hood are the remains of two ancient fortifications,
with ditches and bastions; one containing about
six acres of land, and the other nearly three.
Pieces of earthen vessels, a manufacture with
which the Indians were never acquainted, have
also been ploughed up near Lexington. These,
with the fortifications and the sepulchres, have
been urged as an argument that this country was
formerly inhabited by a people farther advanced
in the arts of life than the present Indians. Lex-
ington stands in a fine tract of country, on the
head waters of Elkhorn River, 24 m. E. S. E. of
Frankfort, the present capital. Long. 84. 55. W.
lat. 38. 15. N. Trahsyl vania University at this
place was founded m 1798. It has 6 instructers
and 93 students Its libraries have 3,850 volumes.
It has 2 vacations in spring and autumn. Com-
mencement is in September.
Lexington, p.t. Greene, Co. N. Y. Pop. 2,248.
p.t. Henderson Co. Tenn., Rowan, Co. N. C., Og-
lethorpe Co. Geo., Erie Co. Pa., Richland and
Stark. Co. Ohio. Scott Cos. Indiana and Boone
Lexington, a town of Virginia, chief of Rock-
bridge county, situate near the N. branch of
James River. 150 m. W. by N. of Richmond.
Washington College at this place was founded in
151*2. It has 23 students ; the library is small. It
has 2 vacations in autumn and winter. Com-
meneemear is in April.
L'xinrton.a District of South Carolina. Pop.
Leyden, a citv of the Netherlands, in S. Hol-
land. seared nn the ancient bed of the Rhine,
which here alraost expires in a number of small
channels. It is famous for the long siege it sus-
tained in 1574. against the Spaniaids, daring
which 6,000 of the inhabitants died of famine and
pestilence. Ia honour of .this siege a university
was founded in 1575, celebrated for its colleges,
botanical garden, anatomical theatre, astronomical
observatory, cabinet of natural history, and valua-
ble library: in 1807 it was almost desfroved by
the blowing up of a vessel loaded with gunpow-
der. The principal church is a superb structure,
and the old castle, town-house, custom-house
and house for orphans, deserve notice. Here are
excellent manufactures of soap and indigo; and
the vicinity produces the best Dutch butter and
cheese. It stands on 50 islands, and has 145
bridges, the greatest part built of freestone. The
inhabitants are estimated at 50,000. Leyden is 4
m. E. of the German Ocean, and 20 S. W. of
Amsterdam. Long. 4. 28. E., lat. 52. 8. N.
Leyden, a town of Franklin Co. Mass. 117 m.
N. W. Boston. Pop. 796. Also a p.t. Lewis Co.
N. Y. 33 m. N. Utica. Pop. 1,502.
Leypa, a town of Bohemia, in the circle of Leut-
meritz, seated on the Pubietz, 23 m. E. N. E. of
Leyta, one of the Philipoines, about 40 leagues
in length, and 95 in circumference. Its soil on
the E. side, is very fertile : but the high moun-
tains that intersect it from E. to W. occasion so
great an alteration in the climate, that, when
the inhabitants of one part of the island reap, the
others sow , and they have two plentiful harvests
in the year, to which the rivers descending from
the mountains not a little contribute. The isl-
and contains 9,000 inhabitants, who pay tribute
in rice, wax, &c. Long. 124. 40. E., lat. 10. 50.
Liam-po. See Ming-po.
Li bonus, or Lebanon, a lofty mountain of Syria,
extending from the vicinity of Tripoli to the bor-
ders of Palestine, about 30 or 40 m. from the sea.
Its height is very considerable, the summit is cov-
ered with snow a great part of the year. Few
specimens now remain of those magnificent ce-
dars for which it was once so celebrated. Near
Damascus there are immense caverns, one of
which can contain 4,000 men. To the E» is a
parallel chain called Antilibanus.
Libatta, a town of Guinea, in the country ef
Gabon, seated near the mouth of a river of the
same name, 120 m. N. W. of Sette. Long. 8. 54.
E.,lat. 0. 58 S.
Libau, a town of Courland, on the Baltic, with
a harbour for small ships. The chief articles of
commere are hemp and linseed. It is seated on
a peninsula, 50 m . N. of Memel, and 80 W. of
Mittau. Long. 21. 25. E., lat. 56. 30. N.
Liberia, a district on the coast of Africa so nam-
ed from its being colonized by liberated captives
and free people of colour. Under the auspices of
a colonization society, in America, the first set
tiers proceeded to Africa in 1822. Cape Mesu-
rado, in lat. 6. 18. N., was purchased of the na-
tives ; the plan of a town, afterwards called Mon-
rovia, was formed ; and as fresh emigrants arriv-
ed they purchased additional tracts of country.
The greater part of the early settlers from Amer-
ica were men of eminent piety, and their just,
humane, and benevolent policy, has given them
an uncommon influence over the native tribes.
In 1827 this sable community had risen complete-
ly above the pressure of urgent necessities. Mon-
rovia was rapidly improving in accommodations
and increasing in magnitude, and several fresh
towns were already springing up. The soil is
extremely fertile : the natives of the country,
without tools, without, skill, and with little labour,
raising more grain and vegetables than they can
consume and often more than they can sell.
Cattle, swi.re, fowls, ducks, goats, and sheep,
thrive without feeding, and require no other care
than to keep them feom straving. Cotton, coffee,