school, magazines, and a dock-yard, where galliots
are constructed, and sent down the Volga to the
Caspian Sea. It is seated on the rivulet Kasanka,
where it enters the Volga, 420. m. E. of Moscow.
Long. 49. 20. E., lat. 55. 48. N.
Kataba, a town of Arabia, in Yemen, with a
citadel; situate in a fertile country, near a river,
which runs into the sea at Aden, 75 m. N. of
Aden. Long. 44. 39. E., lat. 13. 54. N.
Katif, a town of Arabia, in the province of
Bahrein. It is built of rock salt, and stands on
the gulf of Persia, 95 m. N. of Lachsa. .Long
48. 38. E., lat. 27. 40. N.
Kavfbeuren, a town of Germany, in Bavariu,
with manufactures of cotton, linen, fustian, and
leather. It is seated on the Wertach,38 m. S.
by W. of Augsburg.
Kauga, the capital of a kingdom of the same
name, in the empire of Bornou. It is seated on a
large lake, 280 m. S. by E. of Bornou. Long. 23
30. E., lat. 15. 20. N.
Kaukeban, a town of Arabia, in Yemen, situate
On an almost inaccessible mountain. 20 m. W.
Kaunitz, a town and castle of Moravia on the
river IglaO m. S. S. W.- of Brinn.
Kaurzim, a town of Bohemia, capital of a circle
afthe same name, which produces much timber.
It stands on a river which runs into the Elbe, 26
m. E. S. E. of Prague. •
Kaye Island, an island in the Pacific Ocean,
near the W. coast of N. America, 30 m. long
and 4 broad, discovered by Cook in 1778. Its N.
E. point is a naked rock, considerably elevated :
the other parts abound in small valleys, filled with
pine-trees, but of no extraordinary growth. Long.
144. 48. W., lat. 59. 56. N.
Kayserslautern, a town of Germany, in the pal-
atinate of the Rhi®e. In 1793 it was taken by
the French, who the year following were sur-
prised in their entrenchments near it, by the Aus-
trians, and defeated. It is seated on the Lauter,
28 m. S. W. of Worms. Long. 7. 50. E., lat. 49.
Kayserstuhl, a town of Switzerland, in the
county of Baden, with a castle, seated on the
Rhine, 8 m. S. E. ofZurzack.
Kayserwert, a town of Germany, in the territo-
ry of Cologne, seated on the Rhine, 7 m. N. N. W.
Lazimiers, a town of Poland, in the palatinate
of Kiiblin, with a castle, situate on a hill, on the
Vistula, 25 m. W. S. W. of Lublin.
Kazroon, a town of Persia, in Farsistan, of con-
siderable extent, but many parts of it are in ruins.
70 m. W. S. W. of Shiras.
Kesho. See Caskao.
Kedleston, a village in Derbyshire, Eng with a
medicinal spring, much resorted to in summer,
and the elegant seat of the earl of Scarsdale
5 m. N N. W. of Derby.
Keff, or Keffts, a town of the kingdom of
Tunis, with a citadel; situate on the side of
a hill, with a plentiful source of water, 70 m. W.
S. W. of Tunis.
KeJO, a village of Asiatic Turkey, in Irac
Arabi, 14 m. S. of Hillah ; celebrated for the
tomb of the prophet Ezekiel, which is annually
visited by a number of Jews.
Kehl, a strong fortress of Germany, seated on
the Rhine, over which is a bridge to Strasburg;
it is an important pass between France and Ger-
many. It was ceded by France at the peace of
Reswick, 1697, and conferred on the margrave
of Baden. During the war with Germany the
French repeatedly besieged and took it: in 1798
it fell into their hands, and they retained posses-
sion till 1804, when it was restored to the grand
duke of Baden.
Keighley, a town in W. Yorkshire, Eng. with
a market on Wednesday, and manufactures of
woolen cloths, cottons,and lindseys. The town is
nearly all built of stone ; and the church, which
was rebuilt in 1805, is a spacious and handsome
structure. Here is a free grammar school, found-
ed in 1716; also a mechanicsinstitute, with a
good library established in 1826. The town is well
supplied with water from two fine springs to the
E. and W., under an act obtained in 18i6. It is
seated in a deep valley, at the junction of two
small rivulets, which discharge themselves about
a mile below into the river Aire. 12 m. N. of
Halifax, and 202 N. by W. of London.
Keith, a town of Scotland, in Banffshire, with
manufactures of flax. 12 m. S. S. W. of Cullen,
and 46 N. W. of Aberdeen.
Kelbra,- a town of Prussian Saxony, near the
river Helm, 10 m. S. of Stolburg.
Kdhevm, a town and castle of Bavaria, with a
Franciscan convent, a considerable brewery, and
extensive magazines of salt. It is situate at the
conflux of the Altmubl and Danube, 10 m. S. S.
W. of Ratisbon.
Kells, a borough of Ireland in E. Meath, on
the river Blackwater, 12 m. N. by AV. of Trim.
Keliyvale, a township of Orleans Co. Vt. Pop.
Kelso, a town of Scotland, in Roxburghshire,
with a bridge over the Tweed, below the influx
of the Teviot. The abbey, magnificent ruins of
which still remain, was founded by David I.
Here are manufactures of carpeting, flannels,
leather, linen, and shoes. It is 10 m. N. N. E. of
Jedburg, and 2Q S. AV. of Berwick.
Kemi, or Kiemi. See Kimi.
Kemmoo, a town of Negroland, capital of a
country lying to the AV. of Bambarra. It is 340
m. AV. of Sego. Long. 7. 46. W., lat. 14. 15.
KempsviUe, p.v. Princeton Co. Va. 16 m. S. E
Kempten, a town of Germany, in Bavaria,
with a late princely abbey of the Benedictine
order. It has a great trade in linen, and is seat-
ed on the Iller, 45 m. S. by AV. of Augsburg, and
50 S. by E. of Ulm.
Kempville, p.v. Niagara Co. N. Y.
Ken, a river in Westmoreland, Eng. which
flows by Kendal, and enters the sandy wash of
Lancashire, called Morecambe Bay. It has a
cataract near its mouth, which obstructs the nav-
Ken, a river of Scotland, which rises in the
N. W. part of Kirkcudbrightshire, flotvs to New
Galloway, thence expands into a lake, 4 m. loner
and one broad, and then joins the river Dee.
Kendal, a town in Westmoreland, Eng. It is
seated on the Ken, over which are two stone
bridges, and one of wood leading to the castle,
which is now in ruins. It has a spacious church
and two chapels belonging to the establishment,
and no fewer than 10 meeting-houses for dissen-
ters. Besides the free school, which is well en-
dowed and has some exhibitions to Queens Col-
lege in Oxford, there is a large national school,
and also a school of industry, &c. Here are
manufactures of kerseymeres, linsey woolsey, ser-
ges, baizes, knit woolen caps and jackets, carpet-
ings of various textures, waistcoatings, &c.; and