# <v heVwigrng to Wurtemberg; but ceded to Ba-
varia, in 1802, 21 m. S. of Heidelberg, and 34. N.
W. of Stuttgard.
Godunov a town of Sardinia, capital of a coun-
ty of the same name, with a castle, seated on the
• Chirgo, 25 m. E. of Algheri.
Godalming, a town in Surry, Eng. with manu-
factures of stockings and coarse woolen cloths. It
is seated on the Wye, where it divides into seve-
ral streams, 4 m. S. W. of Guilford, and 34 of
Godatery, a river of Hindoostan, which has its
source in the Sukhien mountains, 70 m. to the N.
E. of Bombay. In the upper part of its course is
esteemed a sacred river by the Hindoos, who call
*it Gonga, a term for a river in general. After
crossing Dowlatabad and Golconda, from W. to
E., it turns to the S. E., and receiving the Bain,
about 90 m. above the sea, divides into 2 princi-
pal channels at Rajamundry; and these subdivi-
ding again, form altogether several tide harbours,
for vessels of moderate burthen, at its different
mouths in the bay of Bengal. Its course is esti-
mated to be above 700 m. and extensive forests of
teak timber border on its banks, within the moun-
Goding, a town of Moravia, with a fine castle,
seated on a branch of the Marsche, 38 rn. S. E.
Godmanchester, a corporate town in Hunting-
donshire Eng. parted from Huntingdon by the
river Ouse. It is seated in a rich fertile soil,
which yields great plenty of corn. When James
I. came through it from Scotland, the inhabitants
met him with 70 ploughs, drawn by as many
team of horses ; for which novel sight he granted
them a charter. ^Jere is a school called the free
grammar school of Queen Elizabeth. It is 59 m.
N. by W. of London. Pop. in 1821, 1,953.
Goes or Ter Goes, a small town of the Nether-
lands, in the island of S. Beveland. It has a con-
siderable trade, particularly in salt and corn. The
great church was burnt down in 1G48, and anoth-
er was built, which is a handsome structure. It
communicates with the Scheld by a canal, and is
10 m. E. of Vliddleburg. Long. 3. 50. E., lat. 51.
Goffstown. p.t. Hillsborough Co. N. H. on the
Merrimack, 55 m. from Boston. Pop. 2.213.
Gogard, a town of Sweden, in E. Gothland,
near Take Wetter, 23 m. N. N. W. of Linkioping.
Gogo, a town of Hindoostan, in Guzerat, with
a good tide harbour, at the mouth of a river, in
the gulf of Cambay, 100 m. S. by W. of Ameda-
bad. Long. 71. 53. E., lat. 21. 4o. N.
Goggra or Sarfeic, a river which issues from
lake Lankee in Thibet,and forcing its way through
Mount Himmaleh, pervades the province of
Oude, in Hindoostan, where it takes a S. E. direc-
tion, and unites with the Ganges, above Chuprah,
)in the province of Bahar.
Gohud, a town of Hindoostan, capital of a cir-
car of the same name, in the province of Ara, 63
] m. S. E. of A ora. Long. 78 44. E., lat. 26. 24.
1 Goito. a town of Italy, in the Mantuan, seated
j on the river Vlincio. betwen the lake of Mantua
j and that of Garda, 15 m. N. W. of Mantua,
j Golanscille, p.v. Caroline Co. Va.
i Golconda, a province of Hindoostan, now called
Hyderabad, between the lowtr parts of the rivers
K is tne. and Godavery, and the principal part of
Dowlatabad. It was formerly called Tellingana,
or Tilling, and is subject to the nizam.of the Dec-
can. The king of Golconda,-at one time, main
tained in his pay above 500,000 soldiers ; but in
1667 the reigning prince became tributary to
Aurengzebe. The kings had vast revenues, aris
ing from the properties of land, customs of mer
chandises and provisions, but chiefly from the dia-
mond mines; for Golconda may be called the
country of diamonds. In some districts the in-
habitants have yearly two crops of rice, and sev-
eral other kinds of grain. Hyderabad is the cap-
Golconda, a fortress of Hindoostan, in the
country of the same name, 6 m. W. N. W. of Hy-
derabad, and joined to that city by a wall of com-
munication. It occupies the summit of a conical
hill, and is deemed impregnable.
Golconda, p.v. Pope Co. Uinois.
Gold Coast, a maritime country of Guinea,
where the Europeans have several forts and set-
tlements. It is about 220 m. in length from W. to
E., between the rivers Ancobar and Volta; and
includes several districts, in which are two or
three towns or villages, lying on the sea-shore.
Seven of the districts are dignified with the title
of Kingdoms, though they contain but a small ex-
tent of land along the coast, the chief is Ashantee.
The natives are generally very rich, as they carry
on a great trade with the Europeans for gold ;
and many of them are employed in fishing, and
cultivating rice, which grows in incredible quan-
tities. This they exchange with others for maize,
yams, potatoes, and palm oil. Most of the inhab-
itants go naked ; and those who are best clothed
have only some yards of stuff wrapped about their
Golden Grove, p.v. Greenville Dis. S. C.
Goldberg, a town of Silesia, in the principality
of Lignitz. It has manufactures of woollen and
linen, and is seated at the foot of a mountain, on the
river Katzbach, 11 m. S. W. of Lignitz, and 50
W. of Breslau. Pop. about 6,000.
Goldingen, a town of the duchy of Courland,
with a castle, formerly the residence of the
dukes. It is seated on the Wela, about 18 m.
from the shore of the Baltic, and 60 m. W. of
Mittau. Long. 22. 21. E., lat. 56. 48. N.
Goldsborough, t. Hancock Co. Me. Pop. 880.
Goletla, or Goulette, a fortress of Tunis, on a
narrow channel, between the lake of Tunis and
the sea. In 1536 it was taken by Charles V.
when he attempted the siege of Tunis, and kept
by the Spaniards till 1574, when it was taken from
them,by Selim II.
Golling, a town of Germany, in the duchy of
Salzburg, 14 m. S. by E. of Salzburg.
Golnitz, or Gcelanit , a oooulous town of Upper
Hungary, 26 m. N. N. W. of Rascnan.
Golnoio, a town of Pomerania, seated on the
Ihna, 14 m. N. E. of Stettin.
Gombroon, or Gambron, a sea-port of Laristan,
in Persia, called by the natives Bunder Abbasse.
The best houses are built of brick, flat at the top,
with a square turret; but the common people
have huts, made with the boughs of palm-trees,
and covered with leaves. It is now reduced to
a low condition. Long. 56. 10. E., lat. 27. 18. N.
Gomera, one of the Canary Islands, 20 m. long,
and 10 broad. It has a town of the same name,
with an excellent harbour, where the Spanish
ships often take in refreshments. Long. 17. 8.
W., lat. 28. 6. N.
Gomersal, a town of Yorkshire, Eng. 6 m. W.
Gommern, a town of Upper Saxony, with a cas-