Brookes’ Universal Gazetteer, page 333
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.

HOME PAGE ... REFERENCE PAGE ... THIS GAZETTEER’S PAGE



Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


GIG    333    GLE

Girardeau, Cape, a county of the state of Mis-
souri, lying between the St. Francis and Missis-
sippi rivers; it contains about 1,200 sq. m. of sur-
face. Pop. 7,430. Jackson is the chief town.

Girest, a town of Persia, in Kerman, with a
trade in wheat and dates, 100 m. E. by N. of Gom-
broon.

Girge, a town of Egypt, about 3 m. in circum-
ference, and contains several mosques, bazars, and
squares, but no marble buildings, or remains of
ancient structures. It stands near the left bank of
the Nile, 40 m. N. of Esne, and 200 S. of Cairo.
Long. 31. 12. E., lat. 28. 35. N.

Girgenti, an episcopal town, on the S. W.
coast of Sicily, in Val di Mazara, with a castle.
It is part of the ancient Agrigenlum, and in the
vicinity are numerous remains of temples, &c. ;
great quantities of sulphur are exported from this
place. It stands on a hill, near the river St.
Blaise, 62 m. S. of Palermo. Long. 13. 38. E.,
lat. 37. 14. N.

Gironde, a river of France, formed by the union
of the Garonne and Dordogne, 12 m. N. of Bor-
deaux.

Gironde, a maritime department of France,
which includes part of the late province of Gui-
enne. It lies on both sides of the Garonne, and
it is the largest of the 86 departments, containing
about 1,022,000 hectares ; it yields abundance of
wine, and is fertile in every kind of grain
and cattle, whilst the rivers and coast supply
abundance of fish. Its principal manufactures
are in founderies, glass, earthenware, dye stuffs,
liquors, (anniseed) and salt; it contains some
seams of pit coal, and beds of peat. It is divided
into 6 arrondissements, of which Bordeaux, (the
capital,) Bazas, Blaye, Lesparre, Libourne, and
B-eole are the chief towns. Pop. in 1825,522,040.

Girons, St. a town of France, in the department
of Arriege, 4 m. S. by E. of St. Lizier.

Girvan, a town of Scotland, in Ayrshire, at the
mouth of the river Girvan, which forms a tolera-
ble harbour. It is 16 m. S. S. W. of Ayr.

Gisborough, a town in North Yorkshire, Eng.
It is celebrated for being the first place where
alum was made, as it was formerly for its tine
abbey. It is 22 m. N. W. of Whitby.

Gisors, a town of France, in the department of
Eure, seated on the Ept. 28 m. S. E. of Rouen.

Gitschin. a town of Bohemia, which suffered
greatly during the long war of the Swedes in Ger-
many. It is 22 m. S. W. of Koningsgratz.

Giret. a fortified and frontier town of France,
in the department of Ardennes, divided by the
Meuse, into 2 parts, Givet Saint Hilaire, and
Givet Notre Dame, the former situate at the foot
of a mountain close by Charlemont, and the other
on the opposite side of the river. It is 15 m. N.
L. of Rocrov. Pop. in 1825, 4,068.

GiuJ.a or Gnriat. a strong town of Upper Hun-
gary, on the frontiers of Transylvania and the
river Keresblin- m. E. of Great Waradin.
Long. 20. 40 E.. lat. 46. 40. N.

Giula .\uara. a town of Naples, in Abruzzo
Ulteriore, near the gulf of Venice, 13 m. N. of
Atri.

Giuliani, a town of Sicily, in Val di Mazara,
on a craggy rock. 12 a. N. N. E. of Xacca or
Siacca.

Gizdt , a fortified town of Egypt, with a palace,
several mosques, a cannon focndery. and a manu-
facture of coarse earthen pots and tiles. A few
in. to the S. W. are the largest pyramids in the
country. Gizeh was taken from the French by
the British in 1801. It stands on the left bank of
the Nile, nearly opposite Cairo.

lllllllll

lllllllll

lllllllll

lllllllll

lllllllll

lllllllll

lllllllll

lllllllll

lllllllll

lllllllll

lllllllll

lllllllll

lllllllll

llll|l!ll|l

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

»

1

0 1

1 1

2 1

3 1

4

ionr* Aun iMiu ■


Gladbach, a town of Germany, in the duchy
of Juliers, with a Benedictine abbey. It has man-
ufactures of fine strong linen, and is seated on the
Ners, 18 m. N. of Juliers. Pop. about 6,000.

Gladenbaeh, a town of Germany, in Upper Hes-
se, 12 m. N. of Giessen.

Glammis, a town of Scotland, in Angusshire,
with manufactures of yarn and linen cloth. Near
it, on the bank of the Dean, is Glammis Castle,
a large edifice, in which Malcolm II. was mur-
dered.

Glamorganshire, the extreme S. E. county of
Wales, bounded on the S. for about 50 m. by the
Bristol Channel, on the E. by the county of Mon-
mouth N. by Brecknock, and W. by Caremarthen-
shire. It contains 792 sq. m. of surface, or about
506,880 acres; is divided into ten hundreds, and
124 parishes; has 1 city and 5 market-towus ;
and sends 2 members to parliament. The num-
ber of inhabitants in 1811 was 85,067, increased
in 1821 to 101,737. On the N. side it is moun-
tainous ; but being more level on the S. side, it
there bears large crops of corn and very sweet
grass. Cattle abound in all parts, there being
fruitful valleys among the mountains, that yield
very good pasture. The quantity of butter witli
wliich it supplies the Bristol market is very con-
siderable. In the N. part of the county are the
most extensive iron works in the world, (see
Mer-
thyr Tydrill
;) copper and lead also abound, (see
Swansea.) The county is intersected from N. to
S. by several streams of water, and by 3 canals,
by which the heavy products of the mines and
forges are conveyed to the coast. Cardiff,
(which
see.)
is the assize town, but Merthyr Tvdvill is the
most populous, and Swansea the most important
town in the county ; the other towns of note are
Neath, Lantrissant, Cowbridge, and Landaff.

Glandfordbridge, or Brigg, a town in Lincoln-
shire, with a market on Thursday, and a good
trade in corn, coal, and timber. It is seated on the
Ancholm, which is navigable for sloops to the
Humber, 23 m. N. of Lincoln.

Glaris, or Glarus, a canton of Switzerland, boun-
ded on the N. by the river Linth, Grisons, and
lake of Wallenstadt, E. by the canton ofSargans,
the canton of Uri, and W. by that of Schweitz
It is a mountainous country ; and the chief trade
is in cattle, cheese, and butter. The inhabitants,
amounting to 27,000, are partly protestants, and
partly catholics; and both sects live together in
the greatest harmony. Glaris is surrounded by
the Alps, except toward the N.; and there is no
other entrance but through this opening, which
lies between the lake of Wallenstadt, and the
mountains separating this canton from that of
Schweitz.

Glaris, a town of Switzerland, capital of the
preceding canton is surrounded bv mountains, and
seated on the river Linth. It had manufactures
of cloth, and a trade in cattle, horses, cheese, slate,
and wooden ware ; 32 m. S. E. of Zurich.

Glasgow, a large and populous city of Scotland,
in Lanarkshire. From its extent, beauty, regu-
larity, and modern improvements;, it is undoubt-
edly the second if not first city in North Britain
The four principal streets, which intersect each
other at right angles, divide the city nearly into
four equal parts. The high church, the most
magnificent gothic structure in Scotland, St.
Andrew’s church, St. Enoch’s church, the Tron
church, the college, the Tontine, and trades’-hall




















PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE

This page was written in HTML using a program
written in Python 3.2