Gengenbach, a town of Suabia, in Brisgau, with
a Benedictine abbey; seated on a rivulet of the
same name, which flows into the Kintzig, 20 m.
N. of Friburg.
Genoa, a celebrated city and sea-port of Italy,
distinguished for its trading importance as far
back as the 11th century, about which period it
began to take under its protection the towns and
territory of the adjoining coast; but the most cele-
brated period of its history is from the close of the
13th to the middle of the 15 th century, when the
Genoese divided with the Venetians the exclusive
commerce of Europe in the productions of Asia.
Their success however in commerce and Ranking
excited the jealousy of the Venetians, and ulti-
mately involved them in open hostilities, and in
1746 it surrendered to the Austrian power, whose
oppression of the inhabitants was such, that the
latter suddenly rose and expelled their conquerors,
who again besieged the city the next year, but
without effect. In 1798, the French became mas-
ters of this city. In 1800, it sustained a siege by
a British fleet and Austrian army till literally
starved, and was evacuated by capitulation; but
soon afterwards it was again delivered up to the
French, on their victory at Marengo. Early in
1814, it was taken by the British, under lord Ben-
tinck, but at the general partitioning of Europe
which followed the peace of Paris, m that year,
the city and territory of Genoa was assigned to the
king of Sardinia, and incorporated as a state
into his dominions. The harbour is commodious,
protected by two moles of considerable length;
the city is about 6 m. in circumference, surrounded
on all sides by a strong wall, and on the land side
is defended by a double fortification; most of
the streets are narrow - and irregular, but the
Balbi, New Street, and Strada Nuovissima, are
spacious and elegant. Prior to the French revolu-
tion it had upwards of 30 churches and 70 re-
ligious houses, three theatres, and several other
public buildings. Many of the houses in the
principal streets are adorned with marble porticos,
and several of the churches are beautiful speci-
mens of architecture, and their interior decora-
tions exceedingly tasteful and rich. The bank
of Genoa, established in 1345, considerably ex-
tended at the commencement of the following
century, in 1751 became insolvent for a large
amount, and in 1798 was finally abolished by Bon-
aparte. Although Genoa now holds an inferior
rank, yet from its advantageous local position
and maritime accommodation as the outport and
depot for the whole of Piedmont ana Sardi-
nia, it must necessarily continue a place of con-
siderable importance. Genoa is the see of an
archbishop, and the seat of an university with a
valuable library; a nautical/ and other pubhc
schools; has several manufactures of silk and
jewellery, and is particularly distinguished for its
manufacture of silk velvets. It is seated at the
head of a spacious gulf of the Mediterranean, in
the lat. of 44. 25. N., and 8. 53. of E. long., 80 m.
in a meridianal line S. E. of Turin, about the
same distance S. by W. of Milan, 86 N. W. of Leg-
horn, 95 N. E. of Nice. Pop. 76,000. The territory
which fanned the republic of Genoa extends along
the shore of the gulf for about 120 m.
Genoa, p.t. Cayuga Comity, New York. Popula-
George, Fort, a fortress of Scotland, in Inver-
nesshire, which has several handsome streets of
barracks. It is seated on the point of a peninsula,
forming the point of entrance- into the Murray
Frith, and completely commands the entrance in-
to the harbour of Inverness. It is 10 m. N. E. of
George, St. a small island in the Gulf cf Venice,
to the S. of Venice, to which it is subject. Here
is a Benedictine monastery, whose church is one of
the finest in Italy.
George, St. one of the Azores, which produces
much wheat. In 1808 a volcano broke out here,
which destroyed the town of Ursulina, several
farming-houses, &c. The chief town is Vellas.
Long. 28. 0. W., lat. 38. 39. N.
George del Mina, St. a fort of Guinea, on the
Gold Coast, and the principal settlement of the
Dutch in those parts. The town under it, called by
the natives Oddenna, is very long, and pretty broad
The houses are built of stone, which is uncommon,
for in other places they are composed only of cla;
and wood. It is 10 m. W. S. W. of Cape Coast
Castle. Long. 0. 4. W., lat. 8. 46. N.
George, Fort, St. See Madras.
George, St. the largest of the Bermuda Islands.
It is in the form of a hook, about 40 m. in length,
but seldom 2 in breadth. It has a town of the same
name, containing 500 houses built of freestone,
which is the capital of all the islands. Long. 63.
35. W., lat. 32. 45. N.
George, St. the capital of the island of Grenada,
formerly called Fort-Royal, which name the fort
still retains. It is situate on the W. coast, not
far from the S. end of the island, and has a safe
and commodious harbour. Long. 61. 45. W., lat..
11. 50. N.
Georges Key, St. a small island in the bay of
Honduras, on the E. coast of Yuctan. It is like-
wise called Cassina, or Cayo Cassigo. By a con-
vention in 1786, the English logwood-cutters
were permitted, under certain restrictions, to oc-
cupy this island. Long. 88. 35. W., lat. 17.
George, Lake, in the eastern part of the state
of New York, between Lake Champlain and the
Hudson. It is 34 m. long, but very narrow, never
exceeding 4 m. Its waters pass by a narrow out-
let into Lake Champlain. This is one of the most
beautiful sheets of water in the world, being sur-
rounded by mountains and diversified with a
great number of islands. The water is deep and
remarkably pure and transparent. A fish or a
stone may be seen at a depth of 30 feet. The
shores consist of abrupt ana shelving points, and
are bounded by two long ranges of mountains,
sometimes rising boldly from the water and at
others ascending with a gentle and graceful sweep,
exhibiting naked and weather beaten cliffs, and
wild forests intermixed with fine cultivated fields,
lawns, and pastures. The village of Caldwell
stands on the south-eastern side of the lake, and is
much visited by travellers who come to enjoy the
fine scenery in the neighbourhood. A steamboat
plies upon the lake in summer.
The islands of the lake are said to be 365 in
number. They are of all sizes and forms, and
contribute greatly to the romantic beauty of its
surface. Some of them are covered with trees,
others are thinly wooded, and others are abrupt and
craggy rocks. Diamond Island, abounds in crystals
of quartz. Long Island contains 100 acres and is
under cultivation. At a place called the Narrows,
the lake is contracted, and its surface is covered
with a most beautiful cluster of islands which ex-
tends for several miles.
These are of various sizes, but generally very
small, and of little elevation. A few of them are
named, as Green, Bass, Lone-tree islands. Some