FreudenWadt, a strong town of Suabia, in the
Black Forest, built to defend the passage into that
forest. In 1706, it was taken by the French. It
is 23 m. S. by E. of Baden.
Freudenthal, a town of Austrian Silesia, in the
principality of Troppau, celebrated for its breed
of horses, and'manufacture of fine linen; seated
near the Mohra, 24 m. W. of Troppau.
Freyberg, a town of Upper Saxony, in Misnia,
with a castle. In the environs are mines of cop-
per, tin, lead, and silver, which employ a great
number of workmen. Her.e is the usual burying-
place of the princes of the house of Saxony. It
is situate on a branch of the Muldau, 15 m. W.
S. W. of Dresden. Pop. about 9,000.
Freyberg, a town of Moravia, in the circle of
Oimutz, 16 m. S. W. of Teschen, and 48 E. of
Olmutz. Pop. about 3,500.
Freyberg, a town of Silesia, in the principality
of Schweidnitz, near the river Polsnitz, 7 m. N.
W. of Schweidnitz.
Freyenstein, a town of Brandenburg in the Mark
of Pregnitz, on the frontiers of Mecklenburg, 22
m. N. E. of Perlberg.
Freyenwalde, a town of Brandenburg, in the
Middle Mark, near which are mineral springs and
extensive alum works. It is seated on the Oder,
36 m. N. E. of Berlin.
Freysinoen, a town of Bavaria, capital of a prin-
cipality of the same name. The cathedral and
palace are beautiful structures. It was taken by
the French in 1796. It is seated on a mountain,
near the lser, 29 m. N. X. E. of Munich. Lon<r.
11. 50. E., lat. 45. 21. N.
Freysladt, a town of Hungary, with a castle,
seated on the Waag, opposite Leopoldstadt.
Freystadt, a town of Moravia, in the principali-
ty of Teschen, with a castle, on the river Elsa, 8
m. N. N. W. of Teschen.*
Freystat, a town of Silesia, in the principality
of Glogau, with an ancient castle, 14 m. N. E. of
Freystat, a town of Austria, which has a great
trade in worsted, 17 m. N. of Ens.
Friburg, one of the cantons of Switzerland,
surrounded on all sides by the canton of Bern.
It is fertile in corn, fruits, and pastures ; and the
cheese made in this canton is deemed the best
made in Switzerland. The inhabitants, 70,000 in
number, are papists, quota of troops, 1,240.
Friburg, a fortified town of Switzerland, capital
of the canton'of the same name. It is seated in
a ra-inntiinous country on the river Sanen, which
divides it into two parts; that on the W. side
scmiing lin plain ground, and the other among
rocks and hills. The public buildings, especially
the cathedral, are very handsome; and the bishop
of Lausarine resides here. Three miles from this
town is a celebrated hermitage, cut in a rock, said
to be the w-rk c-f one man, with his servant, who
perfamsei It in 25 years. Friburg was taken by
the French, in 1715. It is 18 m. S. W. of Bern,
and A E. :f Lausanne. Long. 7. 15.*'E., lat.
46. 43. X.
Friburg. a town of Suabia, capital of Brisgau.
.The steeple of us great church is the finest in
Germany: a**d here is a university, a college
Formerly belonging to the Jesuits, and several
convents. The inhabitants are famous for polish-
ing crystal and preeioas stones. It has been often
taken. It is seated cn the Triser, 53 m. S. by W.
of Baden, and 10 E. of Brisach. on the Rhine.
Long. 7. 58. E., lat. 45. 3. X. Pop. about 10,000.
Friburg, a town of Upper Saxony in Thurin-
gia, with a castle on a mountain, situate on t!it
Unstrut, 5 m. N; N. W. of Naumberg.
*#* There are numerous other towns and villa-
ges beginning with Fri or Frey in different parts
of Germany and Fri and Frey are indiscriminate-
ly written sometimes one way and sometimes the
Frideck, a town of Silesia, in the circle of Tes-
chen, on^the frontier of Moravia, 12 m. S. by AV.
Fridingen, a town of Suabia, on the Danube
50 m. S. W. of Ulrn.
Fried,berg, a town of Germany, in Wetteravia
It is seated on a mountain, by the river Usbach
15 m. N. by E. of Frankfort. ,
Friedberg, a town of Bavaria, with a castle, sit
uate on the Lechfeld, 6 m. E. of Augsburg, and
30 N. W. of Munich.
Friedberg, a town of Silesia, in the principality
of Schweidnitz. A little N. of the town a battle
was gained by the king of Prussia, over the Aus-
trians, in 1745. It is 7 m. N. AV. of Schweidnitz.
Friedberg, a town of Germany, in Stiria, on the
river Pink, and frontiers of Hungary, 33 m. N. E.
Friedburg, a town of AVestphalia, in East Fries
land, with a castle, 25 m. E. of Emden.
Friedland, a town of Silesia, in the principality
of Oppelen, on the river Steina, 12 m. E. of
Friedland, a town of Lower Saxony, in Meek
lenburg, seated in a swampy country, on the
frontiers of Pomerania. 16 m. S. S. AV. of An-
Friedland. a town of Bohemia, on the confines
of Lusatia. 7 m. E. S. E. of Zittau.
Friedland. a town of Prussia, where the French
under Bonaparte, gained a complete victory over
the Russians. June 14, 15*17. It is seated on the
Alla, 28 m. S. E. of Konigsberg.
Friendly Islands, a group of islands in the
South Pacific ocean, so named by Cook, in 1773,
on account of the friendship that appeared to sub-
sist among the inhabitants, and their courteous
behaviour to strangers. Tasman, a Dutch navi-
gator, first touched here in 1653, and gave the
name of New Amsterdam, Rotterdam, and Mid-
dleburg, to three of the principal islands. Cook
explored the whole cluster, which he found to
consist of more than 20 islands, the principal of
which are Tongataboo, or Amsterdam ; Eaoowe
or Middleburg; Annamooka, or Rotterdam ; Ha-
paee, and Lefooga. The first, which is the lar-
gest, lies in 174. 46. W. long., and 21. 9. S. lat.
The general appearance of these islands, conveys
an idea of the most exuberant fertility the sur-
face at a distance, seems entirely clothed with
trees of various sizes, some of which are very
large, particularly the tall cocoa, palm, and spe-
cies of fig with narrow-pointed leaves. On closer
examination, they are almost wholly laid out in
plantations, in which are some of the richest pro-
ductions of nature; such as bread-fruit and co-
coa-nut trees, plantains, yams, sugar-canes, and a
fruit like a nectarine. The stock of quadrupeds
are scanty; but they received from Cook some
valuable additions, both to the animal and vege-
table kingdom. Their domestic fowls are as
large as those of Europe. Among the birds are
parrots and parroquets of various sorts which fur-
nish the red feathers so much esteemed in the So-
ciety isles. The numerous reefs and shoals afford
shelter for an endless variety of shell-fish. These
islands are all inhabited by a race of people, who