Brookes’ Universal Gazetteer, page 305
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.

HOME PAGE ... REFERENCE PAGE ... THIS GAZETTEER’S PAGE



Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


and has manufactures of coarse linens and shoes,
xt is situate in an extensive plain, nearly in the
centre of the county, 14 m. N. by E. of Dundee.

Forfarshire. See Angusshire.

Faroes, a town of France, in the department of
Lower Seine, celebrated for its mineral waters.
It is 24 m. N. E. of Rouen.

Forio, or Fontarw. See Ischia.

Forli, a town of Italy, in Romagna, seated on
the frontier of Tuscany, in a fertile country, near
the river Rones, 11 m. S. S. W. of Ravenna.

Formentera, an island in the Mediterranean,
belonging to the crown of Spain. It is situated
to the south of Ivica, from which it is separated
by a channel 4 in. wide.

Formosa, an island in the China Sea, lying be-
tween 120. and 122. E. long., and 22. and 25. N.
lat., and separated from the province of Fo-kien,
in China, by a channel about 80 m. where nar-
rowest. It is 280 m. from N. to S., and 70 in its
broadest part, but is greatly contracted at the S.
extremity. It is subject to the Chinese, who,
however, did not know of its existence till the
year 1430. A chain of mountains, running its
whole length, divides it into two parts, the E. and
W. The Dutch built the fort of Zealand, on the
AV. part, in 1643. They were driven thence, in
1661, by a Chinese pirate, who made himself
master of all the AAr. part. In 1682 the whole
island submitted to the emperor of China. It
contains extensive and fertile plains, watered by
a great number of rivulets from the mountains.
It produces abundance of com and rice, most of
the Indian fruits, many of those of Europe, to-
bacco, sugar, pepper, camphire, and cinnamon.
AVhoIesome water is the only thing wanting in
Formosa. The inhabitants rear a great number
of oxen, which they use for riding, from a want
of horses. This island was almost totally destroy-
ed by a furious hurricane and dreadful inundation
of the sea. Taiouang, at the S. AV. end of the
island, is the capital.

Formosa, Cape, the point of land between the
bights of Benin and Biafra, in the gulf of Guinea.
Lat. 4. 15. N., and 5. 10. of E. long. One of the
Bissagos Isles on the W. coast of North Africa, is
also called Formosa. Lat. 11. 30. N., long. 16.

10. W

Fornovo, a town of Italy, in the duchy of Par-
ma : near which, in 1495, Charles VIII. of France
obtained
a victory over the princes of Italy. It
is 8 no. W. S. W. of Parma.

F—a roval burgh of Scotland, in Murray-
shire. neatlv built on an eminence, on the river
and near tiae bav of Findhorn, which is its port.
It has num.:\?tures of linen and thread, and a
valuable sui.n n fishery. A little W. of the town
is
a column, culled Sweno’s stone, covered with
antique sculpture, and said to have been erected
in memrrv
oft a victorv obtained over the Danes,
in Ihhft. Ttttcs is 12 m. AV. by S. of Elgin, and
12 E. of Nairn. Pop. in 1821, 3,540.

Form. 3. town oft Lusatia, with a castle. <*It has
manufactures oft w-olen and linen cloths and
carpets, ana s'tnds on a little island in the Neissa,
15 m. S. S. W. oft Guben, and 54 N. E. of Dres-
den.

Forterentura. or Fu-rterentura, one of the Ca-
nary Islands, 65 m. in length, and of a very irre-
gular breadth, consisting oft two peninsulas, joined
by an isthmus 12 m. in breadth. Its chief pro-
duct is the barilla plant, it also produces some
wheat, barley, beeves, and goats. The S. AV
point is in long. 14. 31. W., lat 2S. 4. N

Forth, a river ot Scotland, which rises in the
mountain Ben Lomond, in Dumbartonshire, flows
E. in a sinuous course by Stirling and Alloa, and
meets the German Ocean a little below Alloa,
where it forms a noble estuary, called the Frith of
Forth. The Forth is navigable for vessels of 80
tons, as far as Stirling bridge, and for merchant
vessels of any burden, as far as Grangemouth,
where there is a communication between this river
and the Clyde, by a canal.

Forth, Frith of, the estuary above mentioned,
is about 10 m. in mean breadth, that is, reckon-
ing the entrance from North Berwick on the S.,
to Elie Ness on the N., the distance from which
two points is about 8 m.; from this line to the
Queensferry, where it narrows to a m. and a half,
the distance is about 28 m. and from Queensferry
to Grangemouth the distance is about 12 m. the
water spreading again to the extent of 3 to 4 m
Between Queensferry and the line of Elie Ness
are a number of islands, the most celebrated of
which, are Inch Garvie, Inch Colm, and Inch
Keith; on the latter, and on the Isle of May,
without the line of Elie Ness, are light-houses,
and these, as well as most of the other islands,
contain ruins of castles or religious houses. St.
Abb’s head on the S., and Fife Ness on the N.,
distant from each other 35 m. are by some con-
sidered as forming the points of entrance to the
Frith of Forth.

Fortrose, a borough of Scotland, in Rosshire,
situate on the Murray Frith nearly cmposite Fort
George, to which there is a regular ferry. It is
composed of two towns, Rosemarkie, and Cha-
nonrv ; the former a very ancient borough, and
the latter one, a bishop’s see. Two small parts of
the ancient cathedral remain, one used as a burial-
place, the other as a court-house and prison. It
is 9 m. S. S. AV. of Cromarty.

Fort Ann, a township of AYashington Co. N. V
Pop. 3,210.

Fort Edward, in the same Co. Pop. 1,816.

Fort-Royal, the capital of Martinique, on the
W. side of the island, with one of the best har-
bours in the AVest Indies, defended by a strong
citadel. Long. 61. 9. W., lat 14. 36. N.

Fort-Royal, the capital of the island of Grana-
da. See
St. George.

Fossano, a town of Piedmont, with a citadel,
seated on the Store, 10 m. N. E. of Coni. It has
manufactures of silk.

Fosse, a town of the Netherlands, in Namur,
situate between the Sambre and Meuse, 7 m. N.
W. of Namur.

Fossombrone, a town of Italy, in the duchy of
Urbino, with a castle on a mountain, near the
river Metro, 10 m. S. E. of Urbino; the vicinity
is very productive of silk.

Fossum, a town of Norway, in the government
of Aggerhuys, noted for rich mines of cobalt, 35
m. AV. of Christiania.

Foster, ph. Providence Co. R. I. 15. m. W
Providence. Pop. 2,672.

Fotheringay, a village in Northamptonshire,
Eng. 3 m. N. of Oundle, near the Nen Hor.e
are the ruins of a castle in which Richard III.
wins born, and Mary Queen of Scots tried and be
headed. In the church are interred two dukes of
York; Edward, killed at Agincourt in France,
and Richard, slain at Wakefield.

Foue, or Faoua, a town of Lower Egypt, seat-
ed on the W. branch of the Nile, 25 m. S. by E.
of Rosetto.

FQuaeres, a town of France, in the department
2 c 2






Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com

Brookes' Universal Gazetteer of the World (1850)


PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE

This page was written in HTML using a program
written in Python 3.2