Braga and the mouth of the Cabado, Guimaraens,
and Amarante in the S. E. and Oporto on the N.
bank near the mouth of the Douro, which sepa-
rates the province from Beira.
Eperies, a town of Upper Hungary, capital of
the county of Saros, celebrated for its mines of
salt. It is seated on the Tatza, 20 miles N. E. of
Cassovia. Long. 21.13. E., lat. 48. 50. N. Pop.
Epernay, a town of France, in the department
of Marne. It was taken by Henry IV, in 1592,
when marshal Biron was killed while the kings
hand was on his shoulder. The wines produced
in its neighbourhood are excellent. It is 17 miles
N. W. of Chalons, and the seat of a prefect, with
a population in 1825, of 4,997.
Epemon, a town of France, in the department
of Eure and Loire, 15 m. N. N. E. ot Chartres.
Ephesus, a village of Asiatic Turkey, in Nato-
lia, anciently one of the most splendid cities of
Asia Minor, and the most frequented emporium
of that continent. Of its former splendour there
is nothing to be seen but heaps of marble, over-
turned walls, columns, capitals, and pieces of
statues. The fortress, which is upon an emi-
nence, seems to have been the work of the Greek
emperors; and also the aqueduct, part of which
is yet standing, supported by' pillars of fine mar-
ble. The eastern gate has three basso-relievos,
taken from some ancient monuments: that in
the middle was constructed by the Romans.
The most remarkable structure was the Temple
of Diana, deemed one of the seven wonders of
the world, and which the primitive Christians had
converted into a church; but it is now so entire,
ly ruined, that it is not easy to find the ground-
plot. Ephesus is seated near the mouth of the
Cayster, which formerly afforded a good harboui
for ships, but is now almost choked up with
sand. The present inhabitants are only Greek
peasants, who live in extreme wretchedness and
insensibility. It is 30 miles S. S. E. of Smyrna.
Long. 27. 23. E., lat. 38. 8. N.
Ephrata, or Tunkerstown, a town of Pennsylva-
nia, in Lancaster county, and the principal settle-
ment of a sect called Tunkers [Dippers], who
are of German extraction, and first appeared
in America in 1719. It is 22 miles N. of Lan-
Epinal, a town of France, capital of the de-
partment of Vosges. It is famous for its paper-
mills. and seated on the river Moselle, near the
mountains of the Vosges, 05 miles S. W. of
Strasburgh. and 195 E. by S. of Paris. Pop. in
Epping, a town m Essex, Eng. It is famous
for excellent butter, and seated at the N. end of
a forest of the same name, 17 miles N. N. E. of
London. Pop. in 1821, 1,688.
Epping. p.t. Rockingham Co. N. H. 20 m. fr.
Portsmouth- Pop. 1.263.
Epsom, p.t- Merrimack Co. N. H. Pop. 1,418.
Epsom, a town in Surry, Eng. celebrated for
its mineral waters and salts; and on its neigh-
bouring do a ns are annual horse-races. It is 15
miles S. S. W. of Lind an. Population in 1821
Epworth, a town in Lincolnshire,Eng. on the isle
of Axholm, with a manufacture of sacking. John
Wesley, the founder of the Armmian sect of
methodists, was bom here. It is 11 miles N. of
Gainsborough, and 106 N. N. W. of London.
Pop. in 1821,1,502.
Erbaeh, a town of Franconia, capital of a coun-
ty of the same name, with a castle. It is. 22
miles W. by S. of Wertheirn, and 35 S. S. E. of
Erekli, a town of European Turkey, on the N
shore of the sea of Marmora, 55 it .les W. of Con-
stantinople. It was the ancient Heraclina, and
contains the ruins of an amphitheatre, built by
the emperor Severus ; and a wall at some former
time extended from this place to Derkus on the
shore of the Black Sea, a distance of about 55
miles, the object of which, seems to have been
the protection of Constantinople from the north-
• There is another town of the same name
on the S. W. shore of the Black Sea, 130 m. E.
by N. of Constantinople.
Erfurt, a city of Upper Saxony, sometimes ac-
counted the capital of Thuringia, with a univer-
sity and two strong forts. The principal magis-
trate is sometimes a protestant and sometimes
a papist; but the greatest part of the burghers are
protestants. It has three fine libraries, one of
which belongs to the papists, another to the uni-
versity, and a third to the protestant ministers
The inhabitants are computed at 15,000. A fire
happened here in 1736, which burnt down 180
houses, and several ohurches. In 1806 it was
taken hy the French ; and in 1814, it surrendered
to the allies. It is seated in a fertile country, on
the river Gerar, 58 m. W. S. AV. of Leipzig.
Eribol. Loch, in Scotland, an arm of the sea, on
the N. coast of Sutherlandshire, in the long, of
4. 30. AV., capable of affording a safe retreat to
the largest vessels. It receives several streams ;
particularly that which flows from a lake called
Ericht, Loch, a lake of Scotland, lying in the
counties of Inverness and Perth. It is 24 m. in
length and one in breadth, surrounded by lofty
mountains and rugged cliffs, and its banks cover-
ed with heath and a few straggling birches and
alders. Its outlet, at the S. extremity, is the riv-
er Ericht, which flows into Loch Rannock.
Erie, Lake, one of the great chain of lakes
in North America, lies between 79. and 84. W.
long., and 41. and 43. N. lat. Its length is 230 m.
and 40 its medium breadth. It is upwards of 650
m. in circumference, and navigable for ships of
any burthen. The coast on both sides is generally
favourable for batteaux and canoes ; yet in some
places, chiefly on the S. side, there are rocks that
extend several m. in length. Some of these, near
the mouth of the Cuyahoga, rise 40 or 50 feet
perpendicular out of the water, and project over
the lake. The heathen Indians, when they pass
this impending danger, offer a sacrifice of tobacco
to the water. The islands and banks towards its
W. end are so infested with rattlesnakes, as to
render it dangerous to land on them. The lake is
covered, near the banks of the islands, with a
large pond lily ; the leaves of which are thickly
spread on the surface of the water, to an extent
of many acres: on these, in the summer, lie
myriads of watersnakes, basking in the sun.
This lake, at its N. W end, receives the waters
of the great chain, from the N W. by the river
Detroit, and discharges them bv the river Niaga
ra, over the great falls at its N. E.end, into Lake
Ontario. It forms the boundary line between the
United States, and British North American terri-
tories, both parties claiming an equal right of nav-
igation. During the war of 1812—1815, the
Americans had a squadron of 9 vessels, carrying
56 guns, and the British one of 6 vessels, carrying