Dunkard, a township in Greene Co. Pa.
Dunkirk, a seaport of France, in the depart-
ment of Nord. It was taken from the Spaniards
by the English and French in 1658, and put into
the hands of the English, but sold to the French
by Charles II. in 1662 Louis XIV. made it
one of the best fortified ports in the kingdom;
but all the works are demolished, and the basins
filled up, in consequence of the treaty of Utrecht,
in 1713. The French afterwards resumed the
works; hut they were ordered to be demolished
at the peace of 1763. They continued thus till
the peace of 1783, when the works were again
resumed; and the next year it was declared a
free port. The English attempted to besiege this
filace in 1793, but were obliged to retire with
oss. Dunkirk is divided into the old and new
town, is well built, has a spacious market place,
and an elegant modern built church; as a sea-
port it is uow but of little note. It is the seat
of a prefect, and in 1825 contained a population
of 23,012; 16 m. E. by N. of Calais.
Dunkirk, p.v. King and Queen Co. Va.
Dunlap smile, p.v. Union Co. Indiana.
Dunleary See Kingstown.
Dunmow a corporate town in Essex, Eng. It
is seated on a hill, 13 m. N. N. W. of Chelms-
ford, and 38 N. E. of London. Pop. in 1821,
Dunmow. Little, a village 2 miles from Dun-
mow. It had once a monasterv. huilt in 1103,
and part of the priory now forms the parish
church. This place is famous for the tenure of
its manor; namely, that whatever married couple
will go to the priory, and swear they have not
repented of their marriage, within a year and a
day after it took place, shall receive a flitch of
Dunnet Head, an extensive promontory of
Scotland, in the county of Caithness. Its N. ex-
tremity, in the Pentland frith, is the most north-
ern point of Great Britain. Long. 3. 29. W.
lat. 58. 42. N. it gives name to a bay on the
west; on the E. shore of which is a village of
the same name. See Thurso.
Dunnose, a cape in the English channel, on
the S. E. side of the Isle of Wight. Long. 1. 12.
W. lat. 50. 37. N.
Dunnsbury, p.v. Lycoming Co. Pa.
Dunst, a town of Scotland, the largest in Ber-
wickshire. Here is a woolen manufacture, and a
celebrated mineral well, similar to that of Tum-
bridge in England. It is situate under a hill,
near the river Whiteadder, 14 m. W. of Berwick,
and 40 E. S. E. of Edinburgh ; it is distinguish-
ed as the birth place of Joannes Duns Seotus, in
1274. Pop. in 1821, 3,773.
Dmsimnart, or Dunsinane, a hill, 6 miles N. E.
of Perth, in Scotland, 1,024 feet ahove the level of
the sea; immortalized by Shakspeare, in his
drama of Macbeth.
DmstaHt. a town in Bedfordshire, Eng. It is
of great antiquity, having been ruined by the
Danes. »nd restored by Henry I., who made it a
borough, but no members were ever sent to par-
liament. The church is the remainder of a prio-
rv, and opposite to it is a farm house, once a roy-
al palace. Dunstable consists principally of one
long street, and is celebrated for its manufactures
of straw for bonnet*. Ac. It is seated on the
verge of a range of chalk hills, which extend
across the counties of Bedford. Buckingham, and
Oxford; and large quantities of larks, are caught
in its vicinity, and sent to the London market.
It is 33 miles N. N. W of London. Pop. in 1821
Dunstable, ph. Hillsborough Co. N. H. on the
Merrimack, 34 m. from Boston. Pop. 2,417.
Dunstable, ph. Middlesex Co. Mass. 25 m. N.
W. of Boston. Pop. 593. Also a township in
Lycoming Co. Pa.
Dunstanville, p.v. Edgefield Dis. S. C.
Dunstaffnage, a castle of Scotland in Argyle-
shire, one of the first seats of the Pictish and
Scottish monarchs. Here was long preserved the
famous stone, used as the coronation seat of the
Scottish monarchs, which was removed to Scone
by Kenneth II., and thence by Edward I., in
1296, to Westminster abbey, where it now re-
mains as an appendage to the coronation chair.
Some of the ancient regalia still continue in the
castle ; and near it is a small roofless chapel, of
elegant architecture, where several of the kings
of Scotland are said to he interred. It stands on
a promontory, almost insulated, at the entrance
of Loch Etive, 24 m. N. W. of Inverary.
Dunster, a town in Somersetshire, Eng. It
has a castle, on a steep knoll; and at one corner
of the terrace is an ancient turret, supposed to be
part of the original castle, built in the time of
William I. A priory stood on the N. W. side of
the castle, part of which now serves for the parish
church. It stands on the edge of a vale, near
the Bristol channel, 20 m. N. W. of Taunton,
and 161 W. of London. Pop. 895.
Dumcich, a borough in Suffolk, Eng. It was
formerly a bishops see, and had many churches
which have been swallowed up by the sea. The
remains of two (lurches and a palace are the on-_
ly marks left ot its former greatness. It is seated
at the top of a loose cliff 24 miles S. of Yarmouth,
and 100 N. of London ; it returns 2 members to
parliament. Pop. in 1821, 200.
* A There are numerous other towns and villa-
ges in England, the names of which begin with
Dun, a Saxon word signifying a down or level
place, or country. There are also a number
more in Ireland, and Scotland, but none that
merit any particular mention.
Duplin, an interior county in the S. E. part of
the state of North Carolina, watered by the N. E.
branch of cape Fear river. Pop. 11,373. Kenans-
ville is the chief town.
Dupreesville, Northampton Co. Va.
Duquella, a province of Morocco, about 80 m.
long and 60 broad, exceedingly fertile in corn and
Durance, a river in the S. E. of France, which
is formed near Brianoon, of the rivulets Dure and
Ance, and flows by Embrun, Tallard, Sisteron,
Monsoque, Cavaillon, and Avignon, into the
Duranoo, a town of Spain, in Biscay, 14 m. S.
E. of Bilbao.
Durango, one of the 15 new divisions of Mexi-
co, extended from the lat. of 24. to 32. N. compri-
sing the greater portion of the late province of
New-Biscay, intersected from S. to N. by the
main ridge ofthe Andes. Its superficial area is
computed at 129,247 square miles, and in 1803
contained a population of 159,700. The chief
town of the same name, is seated near the S. end
of the province in the lat. of 24. 10. N. and 104.
of W.long. at an elevation of 6,854 feet above the
level of the sea. It. is about 520 miles N. W. of
the city of Mexico Pop. about 12,000.
Dvrazzo, a town of European Turkey, capital
of Albania, and a Greek archbishops see. It has