kerseys, shal.oons, broadcloth, blond lace, and
porcelain ; there is also a considerable ship-build-
ing trade at Barnstable. The woolen cloth man-
ufactures at Tiverton and Great Torington, and
the wool-combing at Chumleigh, were formerly
extensive, but have now much decayed or van-
ished. Besides the Tamar, which divides the
county from Cornwall on the S. W., the other
principal rivers falling into the English Channel
are the Dart and the Exe, and into Bideford Bay,
on the side of the Bristol Channel, the Torridge,
and the Taw ; Devonshire contains one city*, Ex-
Devon, a river of Scotland, which rises in the
S. E. part of Perthshire, and, after a course of 40
miles, enters the Forth at Clackmannan, only
eight miles distant from its source. In Perthshire
it forms some romantic waterfalls, called the De-
vils Mill, the Rumbling Bridge, and the Caldron-
Deuren, a town of the Prussian states, in the
duchy of Juliers, with manufactures of cloth and
paper, and some iron works. It is 14 miles E. of
Aix-la-Chapelle. Pop. about 3,500.
Deutz. See Duytz.
Deux Ponts, a late duchy of Germany, lying
AV. of the Rhine ; it is about 30 miles in length
from N. to S., and 12 in mean breadth, and tole-
rably fertile. It was ceded to France at the peace
of Luneville in 1802, assigned to Austria at the
general partitioning after the peace of Paris in
1814, and by Austria exchanged with Bavaria for
other districts on the E. It now forms part of the
Bavarian circle of the Rhine, and is supposed to
contain from 50,000 to 60,000 inhabitants ; besides
the chief town of the same name, the other prin-
cipal towns are Kussel, Honiburg and New Horn-
Deux Ponts, the chief town of the preceding
district or duchy, is seated at the confluence of
the Hornbach with the Erlbach, a short distance
above the entrance of the united stream into the
Blise near the S. end of the duchy. Its castle,
the former residence of the grand duke, is a state-
ly edifice; and it has two spacious churches, an
academy, and an orphan house, and was formerly
celebrated for a printing establishment, which pro-
duced a valuable edition of the Greek and Latin
Classics, since removed to Strasburg. Pop. about
5,000 ; Deux Ponts is 55 miles E. by N. of Metz,
and 65 N. W. by N. of Mentz. Lat. 49. 15. N.
and 7. 22. of E. long.
Dewangunge, a town of Bengal, on the W.
bank of the Burrampooter, 110 miles N. N. W. of
Deivarcotta, a town and district of North Hin-
doostan, between the Ganges and the Jumna; the
town is seated on the W. bank of the main branch
of the Ganges, 175 miles N. by W. of Dehli, and
90 N. AV. of Sirinagur.
De Witts Land, the name given to about 10 de-
grees of lat. of the N. W. part of New Holland,
after the Dutch navigator of that name, who first
made it known to Europeans.
Deicsburgh or Dewsbury, a parish and town in
the west Riding of Yorkshire, England. The
parish which includes the townships of Osset,
Soothill, and Clifton-cum Heartshead, contain-
ed in 1821, 16,261 inhabitants. The town of
Dewsbury is a place of great antiquity, being
mentioned as early as 626, when Paulinus, the
first archbishop of York, preached Christianity to
the inhabitants of the surrounding country ; it is
now distinguished as the seat of an extensive
commerce, having upwards of 50 establishments
for the manufacture of blankets, carpets, and other
heavy woolen fabrics; and Heckmondwike ad-
joining, has 40 other establishments for the like
purpose, chiefly blankets. Dewsbury is seated
near the N. bank of the Calder river, 5 miles W.
by N. of Wakefield, on the road to Halifax, and
in 1821, the town contained 6,380 inhabitants.
Deynse, a town of Flanders, seated on the S.
bank of the Ly, 9 miles W. S. W. of Ghent.
Deyrah, a town of Upper Hindoostan, on the
frontier of Dehli, in the province of Sirinagur.
Dcsaigne, a town of France, in the N. part of
the department of LArdeche, 25 miles W. N. VV.
of Valence. Pop. about 3,500.
Dexter, p.t. Penobscot Co. Me. Pop. 885.
Dczensano, a town of Breciano, situated at the
S. end of lake Garda, 15 miles E. of Brescia.
Pop. about 3,500.
Dezful, a populous town of Persia, in the pro-
vince of Chochistan, seated on the banks of the
Abzal, over which is an elegant bridge of 22 arch-
es. Dezful is 130 miles N. by E. of Bassora ; the
Abzal falls into the Ahwas, which joins the Tigris,
at its junction with the Euphrates.
Diadin, a town of Armenia, seated near the
source of the Euphrates, and frontier of Persia, 80
miles S. S. W. of Erwan.
Diakovar, a town of Sclavonia, about 20 miles
S. S. E. of Essig, on the road to Brodo Pop.
Diamond Harbour and Point, on the Hoogly
river, (see Calcutta).
Diamond Isle, a small island lying off the S. W.
point of Pegu, and S. E. point of the Bay of
Bengal, in the lat. of 15. 51. N. and 94. 12. of E
Diamond Point, the N. E. point of the island of
Sumatra, at the entrance to the strait of Malacca,
in the lat. of 5. 18. N. and 97. 48. of E. long.
*** There is a river of Sumatra, called Diamond
river, falling into the strait a little S. of the
point. The S. W. part of the island of Mar-
tinique in the West Indies, in the lat. of 14. 25.
N. and 61. 9. of W. long, is also called Diamond
Diano, a town of Naples, W. of the Apennines,
in Prineipato Citra, 15 miles N. by E. of Poli-
castro. Pop. about 4,500.
Diarbekir, a district of Asiatic Turkey, in the
province of Algazira, the whole of which extend-
ing from 33. 20. to the lat. of 39. N. was for-
merly called Diarbekir : and the Pasha or gover-
nor of the province is still called the Pasha of
Diarbek. It formed the ancient kingdom of
Mesopotamia; but the district of Diarbekir is
is now confined between the 37th and 38th de-
grees of N. lat. ; it lies E. of the Euphrates, and
is intersected hy numerous streams, forming the
head waters of the Tigris. It is beautifully di-
versified with mountains and vallies, and to a
social people would form a most delightful resi-
Diarbekir, the chief city of the preceding dis-
trict, or as it is called by the Turks Karle Amid,
which signifies a black wall, in reference to a
lofty wall of black stone with which the city was
formerly surrounded, is seated on the banks of
the main branch of the Tigris, in the lat. of 37.
55. N. and 39. 22. of E. long. 570 miles E. S. E.
of Constantinople, and 180 N. E. of Aleppo.
The Pasha resides in an extensive castle on the
N. side of the city. Extensive manufactures of
silk, wool, cotton, and leather, and in metals are