Norfolk county, seated on Charles river, 11m. S.
W. of Boston. Pop. 3,117.
Dee, a river of Wales, held in great veneration
by the ancient Britons, and the theme of many
a poet since. It issues from the lake of Bala, in
Merionethshire, whence it flows through a fine
vale across the south part of Denbigshire to the
nortii-west part of Shropshirfe, visi ts the west bor-
der of Cheshire, passes on to-Chester, and flows
thence to the Irish sea, making a broad estuary,
which separates Cheshire from Flintshire. The
Dee is navigable from near Ellesmere, in Shrop-
shire, to Chester, where the continuity of the nav-
igable is broken by a ledge of rocks, running
across the river ; but by embankments made here,
much land has been gained from the tide ; and a
narrow channel, fitter for navigation, has been
formed from Chester half way to the sea. See
Dee, a river of Scotland, which rises on the
west border of Aberdeenshire, amid the moun-
tains of Mar Forest, and flows east through a
wild country till it reaches the fertile vale of Brae-
mar, whence it proceeds to Aberdeen, below
which it enters the German ocean.
Dee, a river of Scotland, which rises in the
west part of Kirkcudbrightshire, receives the Ken
below New Galloway, and runs into the Irish
sea, five miles below Kirkcudbright.
Deeping, or Market Deeping, a town in Lin-
colnshire, Eng. seated on the banks of the river
Welland, in a fenny country, six miles east of
Stamford,and 90 N. of London. Pop. in 1821,1,016.
Deeping, St. James's, contiguous, contains about
the same number of inhabitants.
Deer, a village of Scotland, in Aberdeenshire,
on a river of its name, 10 miles west of Peter-
head. It has a trade in fine yarn, and near it are
the remains of the abbey of Deer.
Deer Creek, a township of Madison Co. Ohh>.
Deerfield, p.t. Rockingham Co. N. II. 55 m. N.
W. Portsmouth. Pop. 2,086.
Deerfield, a town of Massachusetts, in Hamp-
shire county, seated on the Connecticut, near the
influx of the river Deerfield. 15 m. X. of North-
ampton, and 80 AV. by N. of Boston. Pop. 2,003.
Deerfield, p.t. Oneida Co. N. Y. on the Mohawk,
opposite Utica. Pop. 4,182. Also a p.t. in Cum-
berland Co. N. Y., 4 townships in Ohio, and a
village in Augusta Co. \Ta.
Deerhust, a village in Gloucestershire, Eng.
three miles south of Tewkesbury*, subject to fre-
quent inundations from the Severn. Here was a
celebrated monastery, which was afterwards made
a cell to Tewkesbury abbey.
Deering, p.t. Hillsborough Co. N H. 66 m. fr.
Boston. Pop- 1,227.
Deer Island, in Penobscot Bay, state of Maine,
containing 2,217 inhabitants.
Dthli. commonly mi3-spelt Delhi, a province of
Hindoostan hounded on the N. W. by Lahore ,N. E.
by Serinagur, east by the Rohilla country, south by
Agra.and west by Moultan. Having been the seat of
continual wars above sixty years, previous to 1806,
when it fell under the influence of the English,
it had become almost depopulated; and a tract of
country that possessed every advantage that could
be derived from nature, contained the most mis-
erable of inhabitants. It is now all that remains
to the Great Mogul of his once extensive empire,
but since his alliance with the English, the country
has been progressively improving.
Delili, the capital of the province of the same
name. It is the nominal capital of all Hindoos-
tan, and was actually so during the greatest part
of the time since the Mahometan conquest in
1193. In 1738, when Nadir Shah invaded Hin-
doostan, he entered Dehli, and dreadful were the
massacres and famine that followed : 100,000
of the inhabitants perished by the sword; and
plunder to the amount of 62,000,000Z, sterling
was said to be collected. The same calamities
were endured in 1761, on the invasion of Abdalla,
king of Candahar. In 1803 the Mahrattas, aided
by the French, got possession of this place ; but
they were afterwards defeated here by Gen. Lake,
and the aged Shah Aulum, emperor of Hindoos-
tan, was restored to his throne. Dehli may be
said to be now in ruins; but there are many
splendid remains of palaces with baths of marble.
The grand mosque is a magnificent edifice of
marble and red freestone, with high minarets,
and domes richly gilt. At Cuttab Minor, 15 m. S.
W. of the city, is a noble monument, 242 feet
high, built by the Khan Cut^abaddeen in 1194, to
commemorate his conquest of Dehli, which is
seated on the west bank of the Jumna, 350 miles
N. W. of Allahabad, and 1,500 N. AV. of Calcutta
Long. 77. 40. E., lat. 28. 27. N.
Deizabad, a town of Persia, in Irac Agemi, 90
m. N. of Ispahan.
De Kalb, p.t. St. Lawrence Co. N. Y. Pop
Delagoa, a bay on the east coast of South Af-
rica, at the north end of the country of Natal.
The adjacent country abounds in cattle and
poultry, which may be purchased for a trifle ; and
it is frequently visited by vessels employed in the
whale fishery. Long. 32. 0. E., lat 26. 0. S.
Delaware, a town of Virginia, in King Wil-
liam County, seated cn the broad peninsula for-
med by the confluence of the Pamunky and Mat-
tapony, whose united streams hence assume the
name of York River. It is 20 m. N. by AV. of
AAtilliamsburg, and 45 AV. of Richmond.
Ddaware, a river of the United States, formed
of two streams in the state of New ¥ork, in the
lat. of 42. 30. N. In its course south, it separates,
for about fifty miles, the north-east part of Penn-
sylvania from New York, and afterwards for about
100 miles in a direction nearly due south, it sepa-
rates Pennsylvania from New Jersey, and a few
miles below Philadelphia, the state of Delaware
from New Jersey, till it enters the head of Dela-
ware bay, at Bombay bar, in the lat. of 39. 15.
N. where it is about five miles wide. At Phila-
delphia, it has sufficient depth of water for a 74
gun ship; is navigable thence for sloops up to the
falls of Trenton, a distance of about thirty miles,
and for boats that carry eight or ten tons, forty
Delaware Bay, into which the preceding river
falls, is formed by Cape Henlopen on the south,
and on which is a light-house, in the lat. of 38.
45., and Cape May on the north, in the lat. of 39.
N.; the two capes being about 18 m. distant, nar-
rowing to about 10 m. at Bombay bar which is
considered as forming the entrance to the river
The bay, and its entrance is interspersed with
numerous shoals, the ship channel being on the
side of Cape Henlopen, and about midway be
tween Bombay Hook and Philadelphia is a small
island called Pea Patch, on which are two strong
forts. Just within Cape Henlopen, at the mouth
of the bay, there is now constructing a breakwa-
ter of soli.d rock, and a dike farther inward, which
form an artificial harbour with 5 or 6 fathoms of