arms are obliged to repair to the generals stan-
dard ; every caboceer marching at the head of
his own people. Sometimes the king takes the field
at the head of his troops; and on very great em-
ergencies at the head of his women. In the differ-
ent royal palaces, in Dahomey, are immured not
less than 3,000 women ; several hundreds of whom
are trained to arms, under a female general and
other officers. The general character of the Da-
homans is marked by a mixture of ferocity and po-
liteness ; the former appears in the treatment of
their enemies; the latter they possess far above
the African nations with whom Europeans have
hitherto had any intercourse. The leopard and
hyaena are common in this part of Africa, and
commit great ravages, as sometimes do also a spe-
cies of white ant. Grewhe, or Griwhee,in the lat.
of^. 17. N., and 3. 6. of E. long, is the principal sea
port. Pop. about 6,500. Abomey, about 90 m.
inlan i is the capital.
Dalbeattie, a village of Scotland, 12 miles east
by north of Kirkcudbright. It stands near the
mouth of the Urr, in Solway Frith, and has a con-
venient harbpur for small vessels.
Dalebu, a town of Sweden, capital of Dalia, sit-
uate on the south-west side of Lake Wener, 60
m. north by east of Gotheburg.
Dalecarlia, or Dalarne, an interior province of
Sweden, in the division of Sweden Proper, be-
tween Nordland and the mountains of Norway.
It is 270 m. long, and from 40 to 120 broad. The
principal productions are wood, corn, and hemp ;
and it contains many mountains, in which are
mines of silver, copper, and iron. The capital is
Fahlun. The manners of the people are distinct
from tnose of other parts of Sweden.
Daletanm, p.v. Wilcox Co. Alab.
Dalheim, a town of the Netherlands, in the
ducny of Limberg, capital of a territory of the
same name, seated near the Meuse, 15 m. N. W.
Dalen, a town of Germany, in the duchy of Ju-
liers, situate on the Bervine, which falls into the
Meuse, 15 m. N. N. W. of Juliers. Pop. about
Dalia, DaJand, or Dalsland, a province of Swe-
den, in Gothland, to the west of Wermeland
and Lake Wener. It is eighty-five miles long
and forty broad. The north part is full of moun-
tains, forests, and lakes; hut to the south it
produces corn sufficient for the inhabitants. Cat-
tle, fish, butter, and cheese are the chief articles.
The capital is Daleburg, or Amal, on the shore of
Dalkeith, a town of Scotland, in Edinburgshire,
with a great market, for corn and oatmeal. Here
is Dalkeith house, the magnificent seat of the
duke of Buc< leugh. It is seated on a'strip of
land between the north and south Esk, six miles
south-east of Edinburgh. Pop. in 1821, 5,169.
Dalia, or Della, a district of low land at the Del-
ta of the Irrawaddy River; a town of the same
name on the east bank of the main branch of the
river, about 40 miles W. S. W. of Rangoon,
manufactures a great quantity of salt. The soil
is capable of being rendered very productive. It
is at present much infested with wild animals.
Dallas, a county of Alabama. Pop. 14,017.
Cahawba is the chief town. Also a township in
Luzerne Co. Pa.
Dalmatia, a country of Europe stretching in a
north-west direction, from the lat. of 42. to 44.
N-, along the east shore of the Adriatic Sea. It is
a country of great antiquity, and formerly extend-
ed inland to the lat. of 45. 39. N. and included
parts af Croatia, Bosnia, and Albania : the whole
was incorporated with Hungary in the twelfth
century. The Venetians afterwards made inroads
upon the sea coast, and in the 15th century the
whole country, now commonly called Dalmatia,
became subject to that republic. It was ceded to
Austria by the treaty of Campo Formio in 1797
Austria ceded it to France in 1805 It fe/1 again
into the possession of Austria a_ the general par-
titioning of 1814. This portion of Dalmatia,
which is all now understood by that name, has
about 200 miles of sea coast, within the latitude
above mentioned, being about 40 miles in mean
breadth, which gives an area of about 8 000
square miles, and is supposed to contain 350,00O
inhabitants. It is bounded on the east by the Bo-
cana River, which separates it from Albania, and
on the north by Bosnia and Croatia; west by Mor
lachia. It has several islands lying off the coast,
the principal of which are Brazza, Lessena, Car-
zola, Sabonelio and Meleda. It has some moun-
tainous territory, containing marble, gypsum, iron
and other minerals; but parts are very* fertile, and
the mulberry, vine, and olive, flourish in consid-
erable luxuriance. The principal river is the
Narenta, which rises in Bosnia, and either this or
the Bocana might easily be united with collateral
branches of the Save, near its union with the
Danube, and thereby open a water communica-
tion by means of the latter, with the Black Sea
on one side, and the interior of Germany on the
other, but military despotism and catholic subju-
gation are incompatible with social improvements.
The principal towns on the coast are Cattaro, Ra-
gusa, and Spalatro, and in the interior Krin and
Dairy, a village of Scotland, in Ayrshire, 7 -m.
N. N. W. of Irvine. It has a cotton manufac-
ture, and near it are valuable coal mines, and
a strong sulphureous spring. Pop. in 1821, 3,313.
Dalsland. See Dalia.
Dalton, a town in Lancashire, Eng. Here are
the remains of aij ancient castle, and near it are
the magnificent ruins of Furness abbey. It is
seated in a champaign country, not far from the
sea, six miles S. W. of Ulverston, and 265 N. N.
W. of London. Pop. in 1821, 714.
Dalton, p.t. Coos Co. N. H. on the Connecti
cut, at the 15 mile falls. Pop. 532.
Dalton, p.t. Berkshire Co. Mass. Pop. 791.
Damanhar, a town of Egypt, near the canal of
Alexandria, 32 m. E. S. E. of Alexandria.
Damar, a town of Arabia Felix, in Yemen
with a university, 60 m. S. by E. of Sana.
Damariseotta, a river of Maine flowing into the
sea between Penobscot and Casco Bays.
Damascus, or (as it is called by the Arabs)
Sham, a city of Syria, capita] of a Turkish pacha-
lie, and the see of a Greek archbishop. The form
is an exact square, each side being a mile and a
half long, and is supposed to contain from 180,
000 to 200,000 inhabitants, among whom are great
numbers of Christians and Jews. It has three
walls, now almost entirely ruined; and of the
several suburbs which it formerly had, there re
mains only one, which extends three miles in
length. Several streams flow across the fertile
plains of Damascus, which water all the gardens,
supply the public fountains, and are carried into
every house. The houses are built of wood, with
their fronts inward, where there is a court; in
the streets there are only walls to be seen, but the
insides are richly adorned. The most remarkabls