Brookes’ Universal Gazetteer, page 237
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.

HOME PAGE ... REFERENCE PAGE ... THIS GAZETTEER’S PAGE



Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


near it a battle was fought in 1665, between the
royal army of Poland and Lubomirski, to the dis-
advantage of the former. It was garrisoned by
the French in 1812. It is 50 m. N. N. W. of
Cracow.

Czercossi, or St. Czyrkossy, a town of Russia,
in the Ukraine, with a castie, seated near the
Dneiper, 85 m. S. E. of Kiow. Long. 32. 5. E.,
lat. 49. 20. N.

Czctnetz, a town of European Turkey, in
Walachia, near the Danube, 140 m. W. by N. of
Bucharest.

Czernstz, or Kaschau, a town of Carniola, re-
markable for its lake, which produces grass and
corn every year. The lake is surrounded by
mountains, and in dry seasons is from 20 to 25
miles in circumference; but when full it is 40
miles round, and contains several islands, on the
largest of which is a village. When the water
subsides, buck-wheat is sown on the dry parts,
and becomes ready for the sickle in six weeks,
and the pasturage is not hurt by the water if it
does not stay too long. The town is situate at
the north part of the lake, 20 m. S. by AV. of
Laybach. .•

Czernigov, or Tchernigov, a government of Eu-
ropean Russia, bounded on the west by the Dnies-
ter. The chief town of the same name is seated
on the north bank of the Desna, which falls into
the Dniester, 450 m. S. S. W. of Moscow, and
75 N. by E. of Kiev. Pop. about 5,000.

Czersko, a town of Prussian Poland, in the
palatinate of Masovia, seated on the west bank
of the Vistula, 30 m. S. S. E. of AVarsaw.

Czerweniza, a town of Upper Hungary, famous
for mines of opal, a noble gem not yet discovered
in any other region of the globe. It is 15 m. N
of Cassovia.

Czongrodt, or Alt-Czongrad, a town of Hun
gary, at the influx of the Theiss and Korosh, 13
m. N. of Zegedin.

Cz begins the names of several other towns in
Poland, Russia and Austria.



D

DABER, a town of Hither Pomerania, in a
circle of its name, 16 m. N. N. E. of Stargard.

Dabul. a town of Hindoostan, on the coast of
Concan, with a trade in pepper and salt, seated at
the mouth of a river, To m. S. by E. of Bombay.
Long. 72. 54. E., lat. 17. 50. N.

Dacca, a district of Bengal, lying between the
main branch of the Ganges and the Burrampooter
rivers. The chief town of the same name is seat-
ed on the banks of a small river, which commu-
nicates with the Burrampooter. It wins once the
capital of Bengal, and defended by a strong fort-
ress, the remains of which appear. It has a vast
trade in muslins and other cotton manufactures
of the most delicate texture, manufactured from
the cotton produced in the province. The coun-
try round Dacca lies low, and i« always covered
with verdure during the dry months. It is 150
miles north-east of Calcutta. Long. 90. 32. E.,
lat. 23. 42. N.

Datkau. a town of Bavaria, where the king has
a palace seated on a hill near the river Ammer,
10 m. N. N. AV. of Munich.

Dagdct's Island, an island about nine miles in
circumference, in the Japanese Sea, at about an
equal distance from the Isle of Niphon and the
Coast of the Corea, in the lat. of 37. 25. N. It
was visited by La Perouse. It abounds with tim-
ber.
which the Coreans are supposed to use in
building of boats.

Prrg-r*— a village of Essex, England, on the
north bank of the Thames, from the tide-water of
which it
is secured by an embankment. In 1703
the embftakment gave way, and inundated 5,000
acres of grosnd, which were reclaimed in 1715.

Daghe&mm.a province of Georgia, lying between
the west shore of the Caspian Sea and the Cau-
casian mountains. It is intersected by several
small rivers
falling into the Caspian. The inhab-
itants are a brave and hardy race, and successful-
ly resisted the arms of Nadir Shah in 1743. Its
sovereignty is claimed hy Russia, but the resolute-
ness of the inhabitants renders it nominal rather
than real. It has two considerable towns, Tasker
and Derbent, on the shores of the Caspian. It is
a fertile district, and under social institutions
might be made an agreeable country. It is inter
sected by the line of 42. of N. lat.

Dago, or Dagao, an island in the Baltic, on the
coast of Livonia, seven miles north of the Isle cf
Oesel, near the entrance to the Gulf of Finland.
It is 20 miles in circumference, and has’two cas-
tles. called Dagerwort and Paden. Long. 22. 56.
E.. lat. 58. 44. N.

Da gem. See Ragoon.

Dagsborougk, ph. Sussex Co. Del.

Dahl, the finest river of Sweden , which flows
through Dalecarlia, or Dalarne, and on the south
confines of Gastricia, and enters the Gulf of Bothnia
south of Gefle. Near Escarlebv, not far from its
mouth, it forms a celebrated cataract, little inferi
or to that of the Rhine at Lauffen.

Dahlak, an island in the Red Sea, near the north
end of the coast of Abyssina, 40 miles long arid
six broad. It is fertile, populous, and remarkable
for a pearl fishery. The inhabitants are blacks,
and great enemies to the Mahometans. Long. 40.
10. E., lat. 15. 44. N.

Dalme, a town of Prussia, at the south extremi
ty of the middle mark, 45 m. S. of Berlin. Pop.
about 3,000.

Dahomey, a kingdom of Guinea, supposed to
reach 180 miles inland. The country is fertile,
yielding a plentiful supply of farinaceous vegeta-
bles ana tropical fruits; also indigo, cotton, su-
gar-cane, tobacco, palm-oil and a variety of spi-
ces. .The religion of Dahomey consists of
k jum-
ble of superstitious ceremonies, of which it is im-
possible to convey any satisfactory idea. The
king of Dahomey is under a partial subjection to
the king of the Eyeos. The government is per-
haps the most perfect despotism in the world; for
the policy admits of no intermediate degree of
subordination between king and slave, at least in
the royal presence, where the prime minister
prostrates himself with as much abject submission
as the meanest subject. The king maintains a
considerable standing army, commanded hy an
agaow, or general, and their subordinate officers,
who must hold themselves in readiness to take
the field at the command of the sovereign. On
extraordinary occasions, all the males able to bear


Public domain image from GedcomIndex.com

Brookes' Universal Gazetteer of the World (1850)


PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE

This page was written in HTML using a program
written in Python 3.2