and Peters Canal, lined with masonry, is 1,050
fathoms long, 60 broad at the bottom, and 100 at
the top; it is 24 fathoms deep, and in this man-
ner stretches 358 fathoms into the sea. At the end
of the canal are t wo pyramidal columns, with in-
scriptions relative to this great work. The town
occupies the east part of the island, and the in-
habitants are estimated at 40,000. It is 22 m. W.
of Petersburg, of which it is the outport. Long.
29. 26. E., lat. 59. 56. N.
Cronstadt, a town of Transylvania. See Brassau.
Crooked Island. See Bahamas.
Cropani, a town of Naples, in Calabria Ulteri-
ore, 9 m. E. N. E. of St. Severino.
Crosby, a village in Hancock Co. Me. Also a
township in Hamilton Co. Ohio.
Cross Creek, a township in Jefferson Co. Ohio.
Crosne, a town of Austrian Poland, in the pa-
latinate of Lemberg, 80 m. W. S. AY. of Lem-
Crossen, a town of Brandenburg, in the New
Mark, capital of a duchy of the same name, with
a strong castle. It is seated on the frontiers of
Silesia, near the conflux of the Bober with the
Oder, in a country abounding with wine and fruit,
23 m. S. E. of Frankfort.
Cross-fell, a mountain in Cumberland, Eng. 8
m. E. S. E. of Kirkoswold. Its extreme altitude
is 2,802 feet. At different elevations there are
two extensive plains; and a third on the summit
contains several hundred acres covered with moss
and other vegetable productions. The view from
this height comprehends a great part of six coun-
ties. A few yards below the summit is a spring
called the Gentlemans Well.
Cross Plains, p.v. Fayette Co. Ken.
Cross River, p.v. West Chester Co. N. Y.
Cross Roads, villages in Chester Co. Pa. and
Kent Co. Maryland.
Crossiciclc, p.v. Burlington Co. N. J.
Crotona, or Croton, a seaport of Naples, on the
east coast of Calabria Ulteriore, and a bishop's
see, with a citadel. It has a trade in grain, cheese,
oil, and silk, and is 15 m. S. E. of St. Severine.
Long. 17.27. B. lat. 39. 9. N.
Crotoy, a town of France, in the department
of Somme, on the east side of the uiouth of the
Somme, 35 m.- north-west of /Yiinoiis.
Crouch, a river in Essex, Eng. which rises near
Horndon, and enters the German Ocean between
Burnham and Foulness Island. The Walfleet
and Burnham oysters are the product of its creeks
Crowhmd, a town in Lincolnshire, Eng. Here
was-formerly an abbey of great note, and some
stately ruins yet remain. Tine town consists of
four streets, which are separated by watercourses,
and connected by a curious triangular bridge for
foot passengers. The chief trade is in fish and
wild ducks, which are plentiful in the adjacent
pools and marshes. It is 11 miles north of Pe-
terborough. and 93 north by west of London.
Pop. in lc21, 2,113.
Crowlc. a town in Lincolnshire, Eng. seated on
the Isle of Axholm, near the river Dun, 18 m.
N. of Gainsborough, and 167 N. N. W. of Lon-
don. Pop. in 1321, 1,961.
Crown Point, a fort and town of New York,
in Essex county. The fort was erected by the
French in 1731, on a point that runs north into
Lake Champtain. It was reduced by the Eng-
lish in 1759, taken by the Americans in 1775
and retaken by the English the year after. It is
123 m. N. of Albany. Pop. 2,041.
Croydon, t. Sullivan Co. N- H. 80 m. fr.
mouth. Pop. 1,057.
Croydon, a town in Surrey, Eng. It has an
hospital and free-school, founded by archbishop
Whitgift; and in the church are some monu-
ments of the arch-bishops of Canterbury, who had
here an ancient palace; which was alienated from
the see in 1780 : the building and adjoining pre-
mises are now occupied by some cotton manufac-
tures. Croyden, is seated near the source of the
WandleplO miles south of London. Pop. in 1821,
Crowsville, p.v. Spartanburg Dis. S. C.
Crozen, a town of France, in the department of
Finisterre, situate on the promontory which forms
the south boundary of Brest Harbour, 16 m. N.
W. of Chateaulin. Pop. about8,000‘, mostly sail-
ors and fishermen.
Cruachan, Ben, a mountain of Scotland, be-
tween Loch Etive and the north end of Loch
Awe, in Argyleshire. It has two conical peaks,
one of which is 3,962, and the other 3,390 feet
above the level of the sea.
Cruces, a small seaport in the Gulf of Mexico,
about 15 m. W. S. W. of Porto Bello.
Crumlau, or Crumau, a town of Bohemia, in
the circle of Bechin, with a castle, seated on the
Muldau, 12 m. south by west of Budweis.
Crumluw, or Cromau, a town of Moravia, in
the circle of Znaim, with a castle, 10 m. N. N.
E. of Znaim.
Cruz, St. a sea-port of Morocco. The Portu-
guese had a fortress here, which was taken from
them by the Moors in 1536, and the emperor
caused it to be destroyed in 1773. The harbour
is safe and commodious. It is seated on a bay of
the Atlantic, 130 miles, W. S. W. of Morocco,
and 65 S. of Mogadore. Long. 9. 30. AV. lat. 30
Cruz, St. a seaport on the south-east side of
Teneriffe, and the general residence of the gov-
ernor of all the Canary Islands. It has a well-
built pier and quay, and is defended by several
forts and batteries. Long. 16.16. AV., and lat. 28.
Cruz, St. a town of Peru, capital of a jurisdic-
tion, in the audience of Charcas, and a bishops
see. The country is woody and mountainous ;
but the town stands in a fertile valley, near the
River Guapaix, 160 miles N. N. E. of Plata. Long.
65. 15. W., lat. 17. 26. S. <&
Cruz, St. a town on the nortn side of the Island
of Cuba, 50 in. E. of Havana.
Cruz, St. an island in the Pacific Ocean. See
Cuba, an island of the West Indies lying be
tween the lat. of 19. 42. and 23. 20. N., and ex-
tending from 74. to 85. of AV. long. The east
end is bounded by a strait called the Windward
Passage, about 65"m. wide, which divides it from
the north-west end of Hispaniola; and the west
end projects into the Gulf of Mexico, being about
100 miles from the promontory of Yucatan on the
south, and the same distance from the promonto-
ry <^East Florida on the north. Its mean breadth,
however, does not exceed 75 miles, comprising
an area of about 52,000 square miles or a super
ficies. nearly equal to that of England and Wales.
The island was first made known to Europeans
bv Columbus in 1492; and from the great extent
of its coast from east to west, was at first supposed
to form part of the western continent. It was
however, ascertained to be an island in 1508, by
Nicholas Ovando, who sailed round it in that