great square is spacious and well built, and many
of the streets are broad and handsome ; but almost
every building bears the mark of ruined grandeur.
This devastation was begun by the Swedes in
1702, when it was taken by Charles XII.; but it
has since experienced greater calamities, having
been taken and retaken by the Russians and the
confederates. When the general insurrection
broke out in 1794, Against the Prussian and Rus-
sian usurpers of the Polish territory, Kosciusko,
the chief of the patriotic insurgents, expelled the
Russian garrison from this city, on the 24th of
March, 1794 ; but having marched in the sequel
to the protection of Warsaw, Cracow surrendered
to the Prussians, on the 15th of June. It is seat-
>n the Vistula, 130 m. S. S. W. of Warsaw.
Long. 9. 50. E., lat. 40. 50. N.
Craftsburg, p.t. Orleans Co. Vt. Pop. 982.
Crail, a borough of Scotland, in Fifeshire,
seated on the frith of Forth, 7 m. S. E. of St.
Crainbuvg, a town of Germany, in Carniola,
with a castle, on the River Save, 18 m. N. W. of
Cramond, a village of Scotland, three miles
north-west of Edinburg, at the mouth of the
Amond, in the frith of Forth. It has a commodi-
ous harbour, and considerable iron works.
Cranberry, p.t. Middlesex Co. N. J.
Cra 7i Aon rn, a town in Dorsetshire, Eng. It stands
near a fine chase, which extends almost to Salis-
bury, 38 m. N. E. of Dorchester, and 93 W. of
Cranbrook, a town in Kent, Eng. Here is a
free-grammar school and a free-writing school for
poor children, the former endowed by Queen Eli-
zabeth. It is 13 m. S. of Maidstone, and 49 S. E. of
Cranganore, a town and fort of Hindoostan,
on the coast of Cochin. It was taken from the.
Portuguese in 1662, by the Dutch, who sold it in
1789 to the rajah of Travancore. It is seated at
the mouth of a river, 30 m. N. by W. of Cochin.
Long. 75. 58. E., lat. 10. 23. N._
Cransac, a village of France in the department
of Aveiron, celebrated for its mineral waters, 15
m. N. W. ofRhodez.
Cranston, p.t. Providence Co. R. I. Pop. 2,651.
Craon, a town of France, in the department of
Mavenne near the River Oudon, 17 m. S. bj* W.
Crato, a town of Portugal, in Alemtejo, with a
priorv belonging to the order of Malta, 14 m. W.
Craven, a county of North Carolina, the east
end of which borders on Pamlico Sound. It is
intersected by the Neuse River. Pop. 14,325.
Newbern, on the west bank of the Neuse, is the
Crawford. There are five counties of this name
, in different parts of the United States.
: 1. At the north-west extremity of Pennsylva-
nia, bordering on the state of Ohio, intersected by
French Creek, falling into the Alleghany River.
Pop. 16,005, Meadville is the chief town.
2. In the state of Indiana, bounded on the east
by Big Blue River, the south end jetting upon
the Ohio. Pop. 3,134. Fredonia is the chief
3. In the state of Illinois, extending westward
from the Wabash River for about 80 m. being
about 35 m. in breadth. Pop. 3,113. Pales-
tine, on the west bank of the Wabash, is the chief
4. In theMichigan Territory. Prairie du Chien
is the chief town. Pop. 692.
5 In the interior of Ohio, intersected by the
Sandusky River, which falls into Lake Erie : the
Scioto falling into the Ohio, rises in the adjoining
county. Pop. 4,778. Bucyrus is the chief town.
Crawford, p.t. Orange Co. N. Y. Pop. 2,019.
Crawfordsvllle, p.v. Montgomery Go. Ind.
Crawford, a village in Kent, Eng. on the River
Cray, two miles west by north of Dartford. Here
are some calico-printing grounds, and a manufac- r
ture of iron hoops. Pop. in 1821, 1,866.
Crediton, a town in Devonshire, Eng. with a ♦
considerable manufacture of serges. The church
is a noble structure, and was formerly a cathe-
dral. The town was almost destroyed by fire
in 1769. It is seated between two hills, 8 m. N.
W. of Exeter, and 180 W. by N. of London. Pop.
in 1821, 5,515.
Cree, a river of Scotland, which rises in the
northern parts of the counties of Wigton and
Kirkcudbright, forms the boundary between them
and enters the head of Wigton Bay.
Creek, or Muskogee Indians, one of the most nu-
merous tribes of Indians of any within the limits
of the United States of North America. They
inhabit an extensive tract of country in the east-
ern part of Alabama, and till within a few years
possessed territories in Georgia, but this portion
ot their lands they have relinquished by treaty.
They are about 20,000 in number, and are ac-
counted among the most warlike of the Aborigines.
They have several pretty large towns containing
from one to two hundred houses, and pay consid-
erable attention to the cultivation of their lands.
They raise cattle and live stock of various kinds
as well as com, rice, and tobacco.
Cretloum or Ferrytown, a small port of Scot-
land, in Kirkcudbrightshire. Here several sloops
are constantly, employed in the coasting trade.
It stands on Wigton Bay, near the infiux of the
Cree, 12 m. W. by N. of Kirkcudbright.
Cregiingen, a town of Franconia, in the prin-
cipality of Anspaeh, on the Tauber, 22 m. S.
of Wurtzburg, and 30 N. W. of Anspaeh, now
included in the Bavarian circle of the Lower
Creil, a towh of France, in the department of
Oise, on the River Oise, five miles east of Senlis.
Creilsheim, a town of Franconia, in the princi-
pality of Anspaeh, on the River Jaxt, 22 m. S. W.
of Anspaeh, now included in the Bavarian circle
of the Rezat.
Crema, a fortified town of Italy, capital of Cre-
masco, and a bishops see. It is well built and pop-
ulous, and seated on the Serio, 30 m. S. of Ber-
Cremasco, a small territory of Italy, in the south
part of the province of Bergamasco. It is near-
ly surrounded by the Duchy of Milan, and fertile
in corn, wine, flax, and hemp. Crema is the
Crcmieu, a town of France, in the department
of Isere, at the foot of a mountain near the Rhone,
20 m. N. E.of Vienne.
Cremnitz, a town in the north part of Lower
Hungary, noted for its gold mines, 17 m. N. of
Schemnitz. Pop. about 10,000.
Cremond, a city of Italy, capital of .the Cre-
monese, and a bishops see, with a castle and a
university. The streets are broad and strait,
adorned with some small squares, a few palaces^
40 parish churches, and 43 convents of both sex-
es It stands in a delightful plain, wateied bv