Brookes’ Universal Gazetteer, page 211
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.

HOME PAGE ... REFERENCE PAGE ... THIS GAZETTEER’S PAGE



Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


COL    211    COL

Colleda, a town of Upper Saxony, in Thurin-
gia, on the Unstrut, 19 m. N. by W. of Weimar.

Colleton, a maritime district of South Carolina,
south of Charleston; it is intersected by the
Edisto River, and is fertile in rice and cotton.
Pop. 27.250.

Collioure, a town of France, in the department
of Eastern Pyrenees, with a castle. It was taken
by the Spaniards in 1793, but retaken the next
year. It has a small port on the Mediterranean,
16 m. S. S. E. of Perpignani

Collinsville, p.v. Huntingdon Co. Pa.

Collon, a weil-built town of Ireland, in Louth
County, with a stocking manufactory, and an ex-
tensive bleach field, 29 m. from Dublin. Pop.
in 1821, 1,347.

Collumpton, a town in Devonshire, Eng. with
a considerable trade in woolen cloth. It is seat-
ed on the river Culm, 12 rn. N. N. E. of Exeter,
and 160 W. of London. Pop. in 1821, 3,410.

Colmar, a town of France, capital of the de-
partment of Upper Rhine. It is surrounded by
a wall, flanked with towers, near the river 111;
and has various manufactures, 42 m. S. by W. of
Strasburg. Pop. about 15,000.

Colmar, a tow n of Germany, in the duchy of
Holstein, 5 m. S . E. of Gluckstadt.

Colmars, a town of France, in the department
of Lower Alps, 20 m. E. N. E. of Digne.

Colmitz, a town of Austria, 4 m. S. S. W. of
Drossendorf.

Coin, a river of England which rises near
Clare, in Suffolk, passes by Hafatead and Col-
chester in Essex, and after a course of about 40
miles enters the German Ocean, at the east end
of Mersey Island. In the inlets and pools at the
mouth of this river are bred the famous Colches-
ter oysters. There are several small rivers of the
same name in England.

Colnbrooh, a town in Buckinghamshire, Eng.
seated on the river Coin, which falls into the
Thames, 17 m. W. of London, on the road to
Bath. Pop. in 1821, 2,817.

Colne, a town in Lancashire, Eng. It is a
place of great antiquity, having been selected for
a Roman station, by Agricola. It is situate near
the border of Yorkshire, within about a mile of
the Liverpool and Leeds Canal. It formerly par-
ticipated in the woolen manufacture, which, with-
in the present century has given way to the more
profitable pursuit of the cotton manufacture, in
which branch, in 1821, there were seven large
establishments far spinning and weaving, and
twelve ethers far weaving only. The vicinity
abswi3teis in coals and slate. The population,
wnrcfe is 18 "I was only 3,636, in 1821 had in-
creased to 7,274. It is 21 miles N. by E. of
Manchester.

Coitpr'geAi. t t wvri of Independent Greece,in the
Morea, on the west side of a bay to which it gives
narae.
33milesS. ofMisitra. Long.22.24. E.,lat.
36.3'. N-

Colocz.i. or K-Ao'sha, a town of Hungary, on the
east hank of the Danube, and an arch-bishop’s
see, 57 m.S. ot Brrda.

Cologna, a town of Italy, in the Paduan, 26 m.
W. by S. of Padua. Pop. about 6,000.

Cologne, a late archbishopric and electorate of
Germany, in the circle of the Lower Rhine;
bounded on the north hy the duchy of Cleves and
Gelderland ; on the south by the archbishopric of
Treves, and from the south, in a N. N. W. direc-
tion, for about 90 miles by the Rhine, which
divides it on the east frcm the duchy of Berg
and on the west it is divided by a very irregular
boundary from the duchy of Juliers. It is not
more than about 15 miles in mean breadth, and
contains a good deal of forest, some mines of
coal and iron, and parts of it are fertile in com,
wine, and flax. Pop. about 220,000: it held a
distinguished rank in the Germanic confederacy
as early as the fourth century, and at the general
partition in 1814, it was transferred to Prussia.
Besides the city of Cologne, the other principal
towns are Kemper, Lunne, Nuys, Brul, Mecken-
heim, Bonn, &c.

lllllllll

lllllllll

mini!

iiii|iin

lllllllll

lllllllll

llll|llll

llll|llll

llll|llll

llll|llll

lllllllll

lllllllll

lllllllll

2

3

4

5

«

7

8

9

1

0 1

1 1

2 1

3 1

4

I l/N — lAiAu K1


Cologne, the chief town of the preceding ter-
ritory, and one of the most ancient and celebrated
cities of Europe, is seated on the west bank of the
Rhine, in the lat. of 50. 55. N. and 6. 55. of W.
long. 295 miles W. S. W. of Berlin, and 105 E. of
Brussels. Antecedent to the ascendancy of the
Romans over western Europe, the site of Cologne
is supposed to have been the capital of a tribe
called the Ubii; and at a subsequent period, to
have given birth to Agrippina, the mother of Nero;
in reference to whom the Romans named it
Colonia Agrippinia. It joined the Hanseatic
League at an early period of its formation; and in
the 13th century ranked high as a commercial
city. After that period its commercial activity
yielded to the influence of priestcraft and in
dolence—persecution followed; in 1485 the Jews,
and in 1618 the Protestants, were expelled the
city; so that in 1794, when the French took pos-
session of it, the ecclesiastics amounted to about

2.000 ; and besides the university, founded in 1388,
nine collegiate churches, two abbeys, and an
archiepiscopal seminary, it contained no less than
126 other monastic and religious establishments.
The walls of the city are about seven miles in
circumference ; but a considerable portion of the
area is now converted into gardens and vineyards ;
and although the perspective of the city on all
sides is very imposing, on inspection it proves to
be low and ill built. The town-hall, cathedral,
and some of the churches are, however, stately
and fine edifices. Cologne is connected with
Duytz, on the opposite bank of the river, by a
bridge of boats ; and contains within itself almost
every branch of manufacture for domestic use ;
it still carries on some traffic up and down the
Rhine, from the waters of which it is liable to in-
undation. The city was transferred with the ter-
ritory of Cologne, to Prussia in 1814. Pop. about

40,000. It was the birth-place of Rubens.

Colombe, St., the name of about 20 towns in
different parts of France, all inconsiderable.

Colombey auz Belles Femmes, a town of France,
in the department of the Meurthe, and chief place
of a canton in the district of Veselize, 15 m. S. W.
of Nancy.

Colombia, Republic of, an extensive territory,
forming the whole northern part of the southern
division of the western hemisphere commonly
called South America, and includes what, pro-
vious to 1811, constituted the vice-royalty of
New
Granada,
and the captain-generalship of Caracas
or Venezuela. In its extreme length from N. to S.
Colombia extends from the shores of the Carribean
Sea, in-the lat. of 12. 30. N. to the Tunguragua,
the main western branch of the great river Ama-
zon, in the lat. of 5. S. and longitudinally from
59. to 83. W. From the 59th to the 68th of W.
long, however, it extends only to 3. of N. lat. and
its mean long, on the western side, or side of the
Pacific Ocean, will not exceed the line of 79. W.;
these limits will give an aggregate extent of s




PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE

This page was written in HTML using a program
written in Python 3.2