Kentucky, containing about 1,000 square miles of
Burface, thinly inhabited. Pop. 3,549. The south
fork of the Kentucky River has its source in this
aounty. Manchester is the chief town.
Claydon, there are five villages of this name in
different parts of England, all inconsiderable.
Clayton, there are eight townships and villages
of this name in different parts of England, all
Claytun, there are eight townships and villa-
ges of this name in different parts of England,
the mast important of which is a township, con-
taining 3,609 inhabitants, in the parish of Brad-
ford, Yorkshire, which see. The others are unim-
Claysville, p.v. Washington Co. Pa. and Har-
rison Co. Ken. *
Clayton, t. Perry Co. Ohio.
Claytonvillc, p.v. Rodin Co. Geo.
There are eight other villages in different
parts of England beginning with Clay.
Clear, Cape, the south point of a small island
off the south extremity of Ireland, in the lat.
of 51. 20. N. and 9. 37. W. long. It generally
forms the point of departure, or commencement
of the reckoning of vessels sailing out of St.
Georges Channel to the westward.
Clearfield, an interior county, in the west
part of Pennsylvania, in which the western bank
of the Susquehanna and several creeks have
their source. Pop. 4.803, The chief town of
the same name is about 200 m. N. N. W. of
Clearfield, t. Butler Co. Pa.
Clear Stream, r. N. H. a branch of the Andros-
Clegueree, a town of France, near the north
frontier of the department of Morbihan, 11 m.
N. W. of Pontivi. Pop. about 4,000.
Cleobury, a town in Shropshire, Eng. seated on
the river Rea, 28 m. S. S. E. of Shrewsbury,
and 137 N. W. of London. Pop. in 1821,1,602.
Clerkenwell, one of the out-parishes, forming
an integral part of the British metropolis, lying
on the north side. The inhabitants, in 1801,
amounted to 23,396, and in 1821, to 32,105,
about 5,000 of whom were employed as lapida-
ries, working jewellers, and in all the various
branches of the manufacture of clocks, watches,
and time-keepers, which are here made in greater
perfection than in any other part of the world.
In this district are two or three extensive dis-
tilleries, serveral iron foundries, and various other
manufactures, as also the works of the New Riv-
er Company, which supply a great portion of
the metropolis with water, conveyed by pipes into
the several houses. Clerkenwell contains also
a. very elegant and spacious edifice, in which the
sessions for the county of Middlesex are held;
two extensive prisons, one appropriated as a
house of correction for juvenile offenders, and
the other, which has recently been much enlar-
ged, to general purposes. It has a theatre
for pantomime and aquatic exhibitions, called
Sadlers'Wells, and was formerly distinguished
for an extensive establishment of the Knights
of St. John of Jerusalem. This was destroyed
by the rebels under Wat Tyler, in 1381, except
the principal gate tower, which still remains en-
tire, and forms one of the most interesting fea-
tures of antiquity connected with the metropolis.
It has two churches, but neither of them remark-
able for their architecture, nor is the general
aspect of this division of the metropolis in any
way imposing to the eye; but in the extent and
value of its productions, it is entitled to rank
among the most important.
Clerke, or Sinde Isles, two islands near the
entrance of Behrings Strait, between the coasts
of Kamtschatka and North America. They
were seen by Cook in 1778, and so named in hon-
our of captain Clerke, his second in command.
They were both inhabited, and not unknown to
the Russians. Long. 169. 30. W., lat. 63.
Clermont, a city of France, capital of the de-
partment of Puy de Dome, and a bishops see.
It is seated on an eminence, and sometimes call-
ed Clermont Ferrand, since the town Montfer
rand, about a mile distant to the N. E., was uni-
ted under the name of a suburb; the cathedral,
public squares, and walks, are very fine, but the
streets are narrow, and the houses built of stone
of a gloomy hue. In the neighbourhood are
some mineral springs: and that of the sub-
urb St. Allyre, has formed a natural bridge over
the brook into which it falls, so that carriages can
pass over. Clermont is the birthplace of the
celebrated Pascal, and has manufactures of rat
teens, druggets, serges, and leather. It is 215
m. S. by E. of Paris, and 10 W. of Lyons. Pop.
Clermont, a town of France, in the department
of Meuse, on an eminence by the river Ayr, 12
m. W. by S. of Verdun.
Clermont, a town of France, in the department
of Oise, on an eminence near the Bresche, 37
m. N. of Paris. Clermont is also the name of
several other inconsiderable towns in different
parts of France.
Clermont, a county in the state of Ohio, the
south end qf which is bounded by the Ohio Riv-
er. It is aboutsO miles from north to south, and
from east to west. Pop. 20,466. Batavia is the
Clermont, p.t. Columbia Co. N. Y. Pop. 1.203.
Clermont de Iudeve, a town of France, in the
department of Herault, with manufactures of cloth
and hats; seated on an eminence near the Lo-
guere, 80 m. S. 8. E. of Lodeve, and 24 W. of
Montpelier. Pop. about 5,500.
Clery, a town of France, in the department of
Loiret, once famous for the pilgrimages to our
lady of Clery. Here is the tomb of Louis XI.,
who appears in white marble as the saint and
the patriot king. It is 9 m. S. S. W. of
Cleveland, p.t. Cuyahoga Co. Ohio, on Lake
Erie, at the junction of the Ohio canal with the
waters of the lake. Pop. 1,076.
Cleves, a duchy of Westphalia, bordering on
the S. E. part of Holland, divided into two
parts by the Rhine. It is a fine country, varie-
gated with hills, woods, fields, towns, and villa-
ges, and the chief rivers are the Rhine, Lippe,
and Roer. The capital is Wesel.
Cleves, a city of Germany, and the capital of
the duchy of Cleves. It is seated on the eas-
tern side of three hills, two miles west of the
Rhine ; and has a castle, built in the time of Ju-
lius Caesar. It is 70 m. N. N. W. of Cologne,
and about the same distance E. by S. of Rotter-
dam. Pop. about 5,000.
Cleves, p.v. Hamilton Co. Ohio.
Cliff, a Saxon word implying a rock or high
ground. There are six villages in different parts
of England so named, probably from theii situa
tion (in a relative sense) on high ground. There