district in the Malwa country, near the river Bet-
wha.- It is the residence of a rajah, and 170 m.
S. of Agra. Long. 78. 43. E. lat. 24. 48. N.
Chander nag ore, a town of Hindoostan, in Ben-
gal It was the principal French settlement in
the East Indies, and had a .trong fort, which was
destroyed by the Englisl in 1757; and in 1793
they again dispossessed the French of this settle-
ment. It is seated on the west side of the Hoog-
ly, 15 m. north of Calcut.i.
Clumdor, a town of Hii loostan, in the country
of Baglana, taken by the English in 1804. It is 90
m. AV. N. AV. of Auruhgcbad. Long. 74. 38. E.
lat. 20. 8. N.
Chandraguti, a town of Hindoostan, in Mysore,
with a fort on a high peaked hill. The vicinity
produces sandal wood of a good quality. It is
seated near the Varada, on the confines of the
country, 110 m. N. by E. of Mangalore.
Chan, begins the name of numerous other towns
in different parts of Hindoostan.
Chandui, a seaport of Colombia, near the north
point of the Gulf of Guayaquil, in the Pacific
Ocean. Lat. 2. 23. S.; it is inconsiderable.
Chang-hai, a town of China, in the province of
Kiang-nan. In this town, and the villages de-
dependent on it, are more than 200,000 weavers
of cotton cloth. It is situate near the sea coast, 18
m. N. E. of Songkiang.
Chamnanning, a city of Thibet, which lias been
the residence of the grand lan .a. It is 130 m. W.
of Lassa. Long. 89. 45. E. kl. 31. 0. N
Chanonry. See Fortrose.
Chan-si, a province of China, the north end
bordering on the Great Wall, and the south on
the Great Yellow River, bounded on the east by
the Metropolitian province of l'etcheli, and west
by Chensi. The climate is salubrious and agree-
ble, and the soil generally fertile, though the
north part is full of mountains. Some of these
are rough, wild, and uninhabited ; but others are
cultivated w th the greatest care from top to bot-
tom. They abound with coal, which the inhabi-
tants pound, and make into cakes \\ th water; a
kind of fuel principally used for L *ating their
stoves, which are constructed with hi ck; and in
the form of small beds, so that the p. ople sleep
upon them. The country abounds with musk,
porphry, marble, lapis lazuli, and jasper, of vari-
ous colours , and iron mines, as well as salt-pits
and crystal, are very common. Here are 5 cities
of the first class and 85 of the second and third.
The capital is Taiyouen-fou.
Chantilly, a town of France, in the department
»f Oise, celebrated for a great pottery ; also for a
fine forest and magnificent hunting-seat. It is 17
m. N. by E. of Paris.
Chan-tong, a maritime province of the noi ih of
China. It contains six cities of the first class, and
114 of the second and third; besides which ihere
are along the coast several forts and villages of
considerable note on account of their commit
and a number of small islands in the Gulf of Lea-
otong, the greater part of which have very con-
venient harbours. To* province has largo man-
ufactures of silk, and a kind of stuffs peculiar to
this part of China. It is traversed by the impe-
rial canal. The capital is Tsinan.
Chao-hing, a city of China, in the province of
Tche-kiang which has eight cities of the tnird
rank under its jurisdiction. It is situate near the
sea coast, 730 m. S. by E. of Pekin. . Long. 120.
18. E. lat. 30. 10. N.
Chao-tcheo, a city of China, in the province of
Quang-tong, situate between two navigable riv
ers, and celebrated for a monastery of the bonzes
in its neighbourhood. It is 140 m. north of
Chapala, a lake 15 miles in breadth and 55 in
length, in the province of Guadalaxara, Mexico
which discharges its waters by the Rio Grande
de Santiago, into the Pacific Ocean, the east end
of the lake is about 200 m. N. W. of the city oi
Chaparang, or Dsaprong, a city of Thibet,
seated on the southern head of the Ganges, 90
miles westward from the Lake Mansaroar, whence
that branch is supposed to take its rise. It is 169
m. N. N. E. of Sirinagur. Long. 79. 22. E. lat.
33. 10. N.
Chapel-en-le-Fnth, a town in Derbyshire, Eng.,
seated on the confines of the Peak, 17 m. S. E. of
Manchester, and 167 N. N. AV. of London. In
1821 it had three establishments for spinning of
cotton, and two for the manufacture of nails, and
a population of 3,234.
Chapel Hill, p.v. Orange Co. N. C., 24 m. W.
Raleigh. It is seated in an elevated and pleasant
country, and contains the University of North
Carolina. This institution was founded in 1791.
It has 9 instructers and 69 students. The libra
ries have about 5,000 volumes. There are twe
vacations in June and December, of 10 weeks.
Chapel Izod, a village on the bank of the Liffey,
on the west side of Dublin. Pop. in 1821, 597
and the parish 627 more.
Charasm, or Kharizm, a fertile country of Usbec
Tartary, bounded on the north by Turkestan, east
by Bokharia, south by Chorasan, and west by the
Caspian Sea. It is divided among several Tarta-
rian princes, of whom one takes the title of khan,
with a degree of pre-eminence over the rest.
Khiva is the capital, and the usual residence of
the khan in winter : but during the summer he
generally encamps on the banks of the rivei
Charborough, a village in Dorsetshire, Eng., C
m. S. S. E. of Blandfo*"*. In the grounds of a
gentlemans seat here, is the house where the
plan of the revolution of 1688 was ennnerted.
Ckareas, one of the trnitea rrovmces of South
America, lying between the lat. of 18. and 21. S.
and the 61st and 70th of W. long. Chuquisaca,
or La Plata, is the chief town, near to which the
main branch of the Pileomayo has its source ; it
is bounded on the west and south by the province
of Potosi, and is in the centre of the chief silver
Char, a Saxon word of somewhat uncertain de
rivation; there are about 60 towns and villages
in different parts of England ^ginning with
Char, probably originating in their having been
situated in a woo j*rt of the country, where
the operation of chairing, or burning of wood for
charcoal, was carried on. There is a river calW
the Char in Dorsetshire, falling into the U.rxsr
Channel at Charmouth, a little to tiie west of
Chard, a town in Somersetshire, Eng. It standi,
on an eminence above all the country between thr
two seas; and has a copious stream, wh'ch might be
easily conducted in a direction opposite diat
which it now takes. It is 12 m. S. S. E ot
Taunton, and 139 W. by S. of London. Pop. of
the town in 1821, 1,330, and of the parish 3,106.
Charente, a department of France, including th'
late province of Angouinois. It is named from a
river, which rises in Limosin, and runs by Ar