south-west point jetting upon the gulf of Trieste.
It is intersected from the north-west to the south-
east by the Save river, which receives several
tributary streams, both from the north and south.
In feature, character, and productions, it is very
similar to Carinthia, somewhat more diversified
and fertile, and having the advantage of a nearer
proximity to the sea, the inhabitants are some-
what more active and enterprising. It is divided
into four parts, viz. Upper, north; Inner, south-
west; Middle and Lower, south-east. Laybach,
in the middle district, is the chief town. For
commercial purposes it has the advantage of the
port of Fiume, as well as Trieste.
Carolath, a town of Silesia, capital of a princi-
pality of the same name, seated on the uder, 14
nt. N. W. of Glogau.
Carolina, a town of Spain in Andalusia, the
ehief of a new colony of the same name, in the
Sierra Morena. It stands on a hill, towering
above the whole settlement, 20 m. N. E. of An-
Carolina, See North and South Carolina.
Caroline a county of Maryland, bounded on the
east by Kent county, state of Delaware, and on
the west by the Tuckapo and Choptank Rivers,
which fall into Chesapeak Bay. Pop. 9,070.
■ Denton is the chief town.
Caroline, an interior county in the District of
Virginia, bounded on the north-east by the Rap-
pahannock River, and south-west by the North
Anna River. Its area is abont 20 miles each way,
or 400 square miles, and is tolerably fertile. Pop.
17,774. Above one half of the population are
slaves. Bowling Green, is the chief town.
Caroline, ph. Tompkins Co. N. Y. 199 m. W.
Albany. Pop. 2,633.
Caroline Islands, a range of islands in the North
Pacific Ocean, discovered in 1686, by the Span-
laids, in the reign of Charles II. They lie to the
east of the Philippines, between 138. and 155. £.
long, and 8. and 11. N. lat. They are about «ld
in number, and populous; the natives resembling
those of the Philippines. The most considerable
island is Hogoleu, about 90 m. long and 40
broad: the next is Yap, at the west extremity
of this chain, but not above a third part of that
" size. They have been little visited by recent
Caroon, Lake of. See Kaipjun.
Cwroor. See Caruru.
Carora, a city of Colombia, in the province of
Venezuela, situate about 45 m. from the strait
that separates the gulf from,the lake of Mara-
caibo, and 150 m. west of Valencia It is inter-
sected by a stream called the Morera, that runs
east int<5 the Caribbean Sea. The inhabitants,
about 6,000 in number, subsist principally by
means of cattle and mules, which they drive to
the coast for transhipment to the West India
islands. The surrounding country produces a
variety of odoriferous balsams and aromatics,
which under social arrangements might be made
to constitute an extensive and reciprocal external
Carpadtiarf Mountains, a grand chair, which
Sfoides Hungary and Transylvania from Poland
on tne north and north-east, and from Moravia on
the north-west, extending about 500 m.
Carpendolo, a town of the Bresciano, on the
Chiese, 15 m. S. S. E. of Brescia. Pop. about
Carpentaria, a large bay on the north coast of
New HoUvtuI discovered, in 1618 b/ . Dutch
captain, named Carpenter. That part of the
country which borders on the east side of the bay
is also called Carpentaria. It has about 1,200 m
of coast, and some good harbqurs. It is frequent-
ed by Chinese junks to fish for tne Beech-le -mar
one of the most delicious of the finny tribe,
which superabound at the entrance of this bay.
Carpentrus, a town of France in the depart
' ment ofVaucluse. It we- .....erly the capita
of Venaissin, and atiaiiop's see. It is seated on
the Auson, at the foot of a mountain, 14 m. N. E.
of Avignon. Pop. about 9,000.
Carpi, a town of Italy, in the Modenese with a
fortified castle, and a good trade. It stands oil a
canal to the Seechia eight miles north of Modena,
Carpi, a town of Italy, in the Veronese, where
a victory was gained by the Austrians over the
French, in 1701. It is seated on the Adige, 24
m. S. E. of Verona.
Carrick on Shannon, a towin of Ireland, capital
of the county of Leitrim. It is a small place,
seated on the Shannon, 78 m. W. N. W. of Dub-
lin. Pop. in 1821,1,673.
Carrick on Suir, a town of Ireland, in Tippera-
ry, famous for its woolen cloth, called ratteen.
It is seated on the Suir, 22 m. S. E. of Cashel,
and 10 W. N. W. of Waterford. Pop. in 1821.
Carrickfergus, a borough and seaport of Ire-
land, chief town of the county of Antrim, with a
castle. It is seated on a bay of its name, in tne
Irish channel, 88 m. N. by E. of Dublin, and 8
from Belfast. Pop. of the town in 1821, 3,711,
and of the parish 8,023.
Carrickmacross, a town of Ireland, in the coun-
ty of Monaghan, 19 m. E. S. E. of Monaghan,
and 44 N. by W. of Dublin. Pop. in Ic2l, 1,641.
Carrion de los Candes, a town of Spain, in Leon
on the frontiers of Old Castile. It has ten parish
churches, ten convents, and two hospitals; and
is seated on the river Carrion, 18 in. N. of Pla-
centia, and 40 AV". of Burgos.
Carroll, a county at the western extremity of
Tennessee, bordering on Wood Lake, contiguous
to the Mississippi River. Pop. 9.378. Hunting-
don is the chief town
Carrolton, ph. Green Co. Illinois, 48 m.W
CarrolviUe, ph. Jefferson Co. Alab.
Carron, a river of Scotland, in Stirlingshire
which rises on the south side of the Campsey hills
and flows into the frith of Forth, below Falkirk
Two miles from its source, it forms a fine cascade
called the Fall of Auchinlilly; and near its mouti
commences the Great Canal from the Forth b
Carron, a village of Scotland, in Stirlingshire
on the river Carron, twin miles from Falkirk, cel
ebrated for the greatest iron-works in Europe
These works employ about 3,000 men; and, or
an average, use weekly 800 tons of coal, 400 tona
of ironstone, and 100 tons of limestone. All sorts
of iron goods are made here, from the most trifling
article to the largest cannon; and the short piece
of ordnance called a carronade hence received its
name. The trade in coke and lime is also consid-
erable. These works were erected in 1761, and
are carried on by a chartered company.
Carru, a town of Piedmont, in the province of
Mondoni, 8 m. S. S. of Bene. Pop. about 4,000.
Cart, two rivers in Scotland, in Renfrewshire,
distinguished by the appellation of Black and
White. The Black Cart issues from the lake
Lochwinnoeh: the White Cart descends from the