Carelia, or Russian Finland. (See Wilmrg.)
Carentan, a town of France, in the department
of Manche, with an ancient castle, 8 miles from
the sea, and 21 W. of Bayeux. Pop. 2,860.
Cares, or Kareis, a town of European Turkey,
in Macedonia, situate on Mount Athos, 17 m. S.
E. of Salonica.
Carew, a village of Wales, 4 miles E. by N. of
Pembroke, noted for the noble and extensive re-
mains of its castle, situate on a gentle swell above
an arm of Milford Haven. Pop. 975.
Carhaix, a town of France in the department
of Finisterre, on the river Yer, 19 m. S. of Mor-
Carham, a village in Northumberland, Eng. 5
miles east of Kelso. Near it a battle was fought
between the English and Danes, in which 11
bishops and 2 English counts were slain, beside a
great number of soldiers. Here likewise was a
battle between the English and Scots, in 1018, in
which the latter were victorious. In 1370, sir
John Lilburne was defeated near this place, and
taken prisoner by the Scots. Pop. 1,370.
Cariaeo, a city in the Colombian new province
of Orinoco, containing a population of about 6,000.
It is about 50 m. E. of Cumana.
Cariati, a town of Naples, on the sea coast, in
Calabria Citeriore, near the Gulf of Taranto, 25
m. N. of Severino.
Caribbean Sea. that part of the Atlantic Ocean
lying between Cuba. St- Domingo, and Porto Ri-
co, on the north, and the north coast of the new
republic of Colombia on the south, and extending
west from the 62nd to the 84th degree of W. long.
Caribbee Islands, the most eastern islands of
the West Indies, divided into Windward and Lee-
ward Islands. See Indies West.
Caribou, a considerable island in Lake Supe-
rior, toward the east end, claimed by the United
States, as being wholly within their boundary
Carieal, a town of Hindoostan, in the Carnar-
tic, where the French had a settlement, which
was taken by the British in 1760. It stands at
the mouth of a branch of the Cavery, 8 m. S. of
Carignan, or Camignano, a town of Piedmont,
in a district of the same name, in the south part
of the province of Turin, with a castle, seated on
the river Po, 12 m. S. of Turin. Pop. about
Corimo, an island in the straits of Malacca, at
the entrance into the China Sea, in the lat. of 1.
N. and 104. E. long.
Curimoti Java, a cluster of islands to the north
of Jam. at the principal of which ships touch for
refreshment, in their voyage to Borneo. Long.
110. 12. E. lat. 5. 56. S.
Cdrinacou. the chief of the Grenadilla Islands,
in the West Indies, 16 m. N. N. E. of Grenada.
It produces much cotton, and has a good harbour.
Car ini, a town of Sicily, seated on a point of
land near the sea. about 16 m. N. W. of Palermo .
it was the birth-place of Lais.
Carinola, a town of Naples, in Terra di Lavoro,
seated near Mount Massico, about 8 m. from the
sea, and 25 m. N. W. of Naples.
Carinthia, Ducky of, an interior province or di-
vision of the Austrian empire, lying betwee i '
at. of 46. 21. and 47. 6. N. and 12. 30. to 14. 50.
of E. long comprising an area of about 3,500 Eng-
lish sq miles; the west end borders on the Tyrol,
and it is bounded on the north by the bishopric of
Saltzburg and Upper Styria, east by Lower Styria
and south by Upper Carniola, and the Venetian
territory. The river Drave, which rises in the
Tyrol and falls into the Danube at Belgrade, in-
tersects Qarinthia its whole extent from W. to E.
receiving .several tributary streams, both from the
north and south ; there are also several lakes. It
is a mountainous and woody district, the moun-
tains, yielding abundance of iron, lead, and cop-
per, as well as quicksilver, bismuth, and zinc, and
also the purest marbles, and a variety of gems;
whilst the forests abound with the finest timber,
the valleys afford some excellent pasturage, as well
as fertile lands for tillage; but being edged in by
mountains both on the north and south, whilst the
remoteness of the course of the Drave precludes
it from being availed of as a channel of convey-
ance, the rich store of natural products which this
district contains are of little advantage either to
the inhabitants or to the world. Could a water
communication be obtained with the Adriatic,
which, by a social and reciprocal order of society,
might be effected from the west end of the pro-
vince, either by the Tajamento, or the Piave;
Carinthia might then rank among the most inter-
esting and important districts of Europe; but un-
der the bigoted, blind, and unsocializing policy of
Austria, the inhabitants pass away their time in
indolence and apathy, such supply of foreign pro-
ductions as they get being obtained chiefly by
means of cattle, which they drive to the markets
of the towns of Italy. It is divided for local juris-
diction into two parts, Upper, West; and Lower,
East; the former containing about 175,000 inhab-
itants, and the latter about 105,000. The princi-
pal towns in the upper part are Gmund and Vil-
lach, and in tie lower, Clagenfurt, (which is the
capital of the duchy) Wolfs berg, Wolfe nmarck,
Pleyburg, &c. The inhabitants, who speak chiefly
the Sclavonian language, are bigoted adherents to
the mummeries of the Romish church, and con-
tribute to the Austrian government an impost of
about £250,000 English per annum.
Carisbrook, a village contiguous to Newport, in
the Isle of Wight, Eng. remarkable for its castle
and church, which are both very ancient. The
church had once a convent of monks annexed,
part of which is now a farm-house, stili retaining
the name of the priory. The castle stands on an
eminence, and was the prison of Charles 1. in
1647, before he was delivered to the parliament
forces. It is now nominally the seat of the gov-
ernor ofthe Isle of Wight.
Caristo, or Castel Rosso, an episcopal town of
Greece, at the south extremity of the island of
Negropont. Long. 24. 35. E. lat. 38. 34. N.
Carlely, Old and New, two towns on the coast
of West Bothnia, about 50 m. N. of Wasa.
Carlentini. See Lentini.
Carlingford, a populous parish and town in (he
county of Louth, Ireland. The parish comprises
a promontory between Dundalk and Carlingford
Bays; ^id in 1821, contained a population of
10,921. The town is situate on the south shore
of the bay of Carlingford, and is noted for its oys-
ter fishery; it is a corporate town, and returned
two members to the Irish Parliament. It is 8 m
S. of Newry, and 52 N. of Dublin, and in 1821
contained 1,275 of the inhabitants of the parish.
Carlinwark, or Castle Douglas, a village of Scot
land, at the N. corner of a lake of its name, 7 m.
N. E. of Kirkcudbright, with a considerable manu-
facture of cotton. Pop. 750.
Carlisle, a city, bishops see, and capital of the