Emhrun, and about 70 E. by S. of Turin. Pop.
Brianeonnet, a fortress of Savoy, near the town
of Moustiers, situate on a rock inaccessible every
way, except by the side of a river, where it is as-
cended by two or three hundred steps. The com-
mon passage from Savoy to Italy is by this
Briare, a town of France, in the department of
Loiret, seated on the Loire, and has a canal be-
tween that river and the Seine. It is 40 m. E. S.
E. of Orleans.
Bricksville, t. Cuyahoga Co. Ohio.
Bridgehampton, p.v. Suffolk Co. N. Y. at the E.
end of Long Island.
Bridgend, a town of Wales, in Glamorganshire,
with a woolen manufacture; seated on the Og-
more, a river abounding in trout and salmon, 7
miles W. by N. of Cowbridge, and 181 W. of
London. Pop. in 1821,1,701.
Bridgenorth, a borough in Shropshire, Eng. It
has two churches, and a free-school that sends
and maintains eighteen scholars at the university
of Oxford. It was formerly fortified with walls,
and had a castle, now in ruins. Its trade both by
land and water is considerable. It is seated on
both banks of the Severn, over which is a hand-
some bridge of six arches. The upper part of the
town is 180 feet above the bed of the river, and
commands an extensive and delightful prospect.
An annual fair, on the 29th of October, is very nu-
merously attended, and the quantities of cattle,
sheep, butter, cheese, and bacon, brought for sale,
* is very great. It had formerly some manufactures
of worsted, which have declined, and the popu-
lation, since 1800, has in consequence remained
stationary, being in 1821, 4,345, and two out par-
ishes about 1,100 more. It returns two members
to parliament, and is 23 m. S. E. of Shrewsbury,
and 139 N. W. of London.
Bridgeport, p.t. Fairfield Co. Conn. on L. I.
Sound, 10 m. S. W. Strafford. Pop. 2,803. Also 2
towns, in Harrison Co. Va. and Belmont Co. Ohio.
Bridgeton, p.t. Cumberland Co. Me. Pop. 1,541.
Bridgetown, p.t. Cumberland Co. N. J. and the
seat of justice, 40 m. S. E. Philadelphia. It
stands on a creek running into the Delaware ; it
is a port of entrv and has some manufactures.
There are also 5 villages in Maryland of this
Bridgetown, the capital of the island of Barba-
does, situate in the inmost part of Carlisle bay,
which is large enough to contain 500 ships, but
the bottom is foul, and apt to cut the cables. This
city was burnt down in 1688; and suffered also
greatly by fires in 1756, 1766, and 1767. Before
these fires it contained 1,500 houses; and it has
since been rebuilt. The streets are broad, the hous-
es high, the wharves and quays convenient, and
the forts strong. The church is as large as some
cathedrals. Here also is a free-school, an hospi-
tal, and a college ; the latter erected by the socie-
ty for propagating the gospel, pursuant to the will
of colonel Codrington, whoendowed it with £2,000
a year. The town had scarcely risen from the
calamities already mentioned, when it was torn
from its foundation by a hurricane in 1780, in
which many of the inhabitants perished. It is
scarcely yet restored to its former splendour.
Long. 59. 43. W. lat. 13.5. N. See Barbadoes.
Bridgewater, a borough in Somersetshire, Eng.
It is seated on the Parret, over which is a hand-
some bridge. It has a large handsome church
with a lofty spire. The summer assists are held
here every other year. In the wars between
Charles I. and the parliament, the forces of the
latter reduced great part of the town to ashes
and the castle was then so far demolished, that few
vestiges of it are now observable. The river is
navigable up to the town, for vessels of 200 tons
burthen, and for barges as far as Langport, and
by the Tone to Taunton; and although a preva-
lence of westerly winds causes the tide at times
to set into the river with great fury, its naviga-
tion contributes essentially to the interest of the
town; commercial intercourse however is prin-
cipally confined to the coast. The population
which in 1801 was only 3,644, in 1S21 was 6,155.
and the adjoining parish of North Pertherton, o>>
the south, contained a further population, of 3,091
It returns two members to parliament, and is 31
miles S. S. W. of Bristol, and 138 AV. by S. of
London. It was the birth place of Admiral
Blake, the worthy antagonist of Van Tromp.
Bridgewater, t. Grafton Co. N. H. 70 m. from
Portsmouth. Pop. 783.
Bridgewater, p.t. Windsor Co. Vt. 16 m. N.
W. Windsor. Pop. 1,311.
Bridgewater, p.t. Plymouth Co. Mass. 22 m.
S. Boston. Pop. 1,855. Here are manufactures
of cotton, woolen and iron.
Bridgewater, p.t. Oneida Co. N. Y. 83 m. N.
W. Albany. Pop. 1,608. There are 3 towns of
this name in N. J. and Pa.
Bridgewater, or Lundy's Lane, a spot in Upper
Canada on the West side oT Niagara river, near
the falls, celebrated as the scene of a battle be-
tween the Americans and British, on the 25th
Bridlington, commonly called Burlington, a sea-
port in East Yorkshire, Eng. The harbour is
commodious and defended by two strong piers.
Its mineral waters, and accommodations for sea-
bathing, draw much company in summer; and
its trade is considerable, owning about 6,000 tons
of shipping. It is seated on a creek south of Flam-
borough-head, 40 m. E. N. E. of York, and 206
N. of London. Pop. in 1821, 4,275, being 1,145
more then in 1801.
Bridport, a borough in Dorsetshire, Eng. It
is seated about 3 miles from the shore of the
British channel, between the rivers Brit and Bride,
which unite just below the town, and form a con-
venient harbour, which, since 1822, has been im-
proved so as to admit vessels of 200 to 300 tons
burthen. It was formerly celebrated for its man-
ufactures of cordage, sail-cloth, twine, and net-
ting; and Henry VIII. granted it a monopoly,
for making all the cordage for the national ma-
rine, which it retained for about sixty years;
but its manufactures are now inconsiderable. It
builds and owns some shipping, and carries on a
little external, as well as coasting trade. It re
turns two members to parliament. Pop. in 1821,
3,742. It is 12 m. W. of Dorchester, and 135
VV. by S. of London.
Bridport, p.t. Addison Co. Vt. on L. Cham-
plain, near Crown Point. Pop. 1,774.
Brieg, a fortified town of Silesia, capital of a
principality of the same name, with a Lutheran
cathedral, and several other churches for pro-
testants and catholics. Here is a manufacture
of cloth. It was taken by the Prussians in 1741,
and its ancient castle burned down during the
siege. It is seated on the Oder, 25 m. S. E. of
Breslau. Pop. about 9,000.
Brieg, or Brig, a handsome town of the Valais,
seated on the Saltina river, which falls into the