at the. foot of the Apennines, 15 m. N. E of
Bow, or Stratford, le Bow, one of the out parish-
es of London, on the east side. The church is 4
miles from the Royal Exchange. Bow is situate
at the south-east extremity of the county of
Middlesex, separated from Essex by the river Lea
(see Blackwall). The church is very ancient;
and an old stone bridge over the river is supposed
to have been the first erected in England, and
the curve or bow of the arch to have given name
to the town. Over this bridge is the great outlet
from London to the 3 eastern counties of England:
viz. Essex, Suffolk, and Norfolk. The pop. of
the parish of Bow in 1821 was 2,349; and of
Bromley, immediately contiguous, 4,360. In this
section of the metropolis are several very exten-
sive flour-mills, chyrnieal laboratories, and other
works, the operations of which are aided, con-
jointly with steam, by the waters of the Lea.
Bow, one of the Society Isles at the south east
extremity of the Cluster, in lat. 18. 23. S. and
141. 10. W. long. It was discovered by Captain
Cook on his first voyage; but, with 130 fathom of
line, no bottom could be found for anchorage. It
seemed barren; but from appearance of smoke,
it was conjectured either to he inhabited or vol-
Bow, t. Merrimack Co. N. H. adjoining Con-
cord. Pop. 1,065.
Bowdoin, p.t. Lincoln Co. Me. Pop. 2,095.
Bowdoinham, p.t. in the same Co. Pop. 2,061.
Bowerbank, t. Penobscot Co. Me. 40<*n. N. W.
Bangor. Pop. 49.
Bowers, p.v. Essex Co. Va. and Southampton
Bowes, a.town at the north west extremity of
the county of York, Eng., situate at the foot of
the mountains on the frontier of Westmoreland,
on one of the Roman military ways, now the high
road from London to Carlisle. Its antiquity is fur-
ther manifest, from a stone in the church, which, at
the commencement of the last century, was used
as a Communion table, on which is an adulatory
inscription to the Emperor Adrian. It holds a
jmarket on Fridays, 53 m. S. by E. of Carlisle, and
250 N. by W. of London. Pop. in 1821,1,438.
Bowling Green, there are villages of this name
in Va., Ken., Ohio., Geo., and Missouri.
Bowrnore, a town of the isle of Islay, Scotland,
on the coast of Argyleshire, on the east coast of
Loch Indal. Pop. about 700.
Bownes, a village in Westmorland, Eng., on the
east side of Windermere-water, 9 miles west by
north of Kendal. It is a great mart for fish and
charcoal; and the chief place for trading and
pleasure boats used in navigating the lake.
Bowness, a village in Cumberland, Eng., at the
west end of the Piets wall, on Solway frith, 13
miles west by north of Carlisle. It was a Ro-
man station, called Blatum Bulgium; and from
hence Antoninus began his Itinerary.
Boxberg, a town of Germany, in the grand
duchy of Baden, with an ancient castle on an
eminence; seated on the Tauber, 13 m. W. of
Boxborough, p.t. Middlesex Co. Mass. Pop.
Boxford, a village in Suffolk, Eng., 5 miles
from Sudbury. It has a great trade in malt, and
a manufacture for dressing sheep and deer skins
in oil. Pop. 743.
Boxford, p.t. Essex Co. Mass. on the Merri-
mack, 14 m. above Newburyport. Pop. 937.
Boxley, a village in Kent, Eng., four miles north
of Maidstone, famous for an abbey, founded in
1146, some remains of which still exist. In this
abbey, Eaward II. granted the charter to the city
of London, empowering them to elect a mayor
Boxtel, a town of the Netherlands, in Brabant,
seated on the river Bommel, and furnished with
sluices. Here the British and Dutch troops, un-
der the duke of York, were defeated by the
French in 1794. It is 8 m. S. of Bois le Due.
Boydstoicn, p.t. Mecklenburg Co. Va.
Boydsville, p.t. Davidson Co. Ten. 20 m fi'.m
Boyle, a populous parish, and borough of Ire-
land, in the county of Roscommon, on the fron-
tier of Sligo. Here are the ruins of an abbey,
near the lake Key, and manufactures of linen and
yarn. It has extensive barracks, seated on the
river Boyle, 23 miles north of Roscommon, and
86 north west of Dublin. It returned two mem-
bers to the Irish parliament previous to the union.
Pop. of the town in 1821, 3,407; and of the par-
ish, including the town, 11,181.
Boylston, p.t. Worcester Co. Mass. Pop. 820
Boyne, a river of Ireland, which rises in the
north part of the county of Kildare, crosses the
county of Meath, past Trim and Navan, and en-
ters the Irish channel below Drogheda. In this
river and on its banks James II. was defeated by
William III. in 1690.
Bozolo, a fortified town of Italy, in the Man-
tuan, seated on the Oglio, 15 m. S. W. of
Bozrah, p.t. N. London Co. Conn. Pop
Bra, a large town of Piedmont, in the province
of Alba, situate near the junction of the Stura
with the Tanaro River, 10 miles south east of
Carmagnola. Pop. about 10,1)00. Cherasco, with
a further population of about 11,000, is situate on
the opposite bank of the river.
Braun, a river of Scotland, in Perthshire,
which descends from the hills east of Loch Tay,
and flows into the Tay above Dunkeld. Upon
this river is a grand scene, at a place called the
Rumbling-bridge. Under an arch, thrown over a
narrow chasm, between two projecting rocks,
the river is precipitated in a fall of near 50
Brabant, a territory in the north west part of
Europe, lying between the lat. of 50. 30. and 51.
35. N. and 4. and 5. 10. E. long, formerly belong-
ing to Austria, and afterwards part of the king-
dom of the Netherlands. It will be best under-
stood divided into two parts : viz. North or Dutch
Brabant, and South or Austrian Brabant. Dutch
Brabant lies north of the Scheldt, the north east
being bounded by the Maese, its 4 principal towns
being Bergen-op-Zoom, Breda, Bois-le-duc, and
Endhoven. South, or Austrian Brabant, is bound-
ed on the west by the Dender and Scheldt, south
by Namur, and east by Liege. This district was
overrun by the French in 1792, who were driven
back the following year; but returned in 1794
and effectually subdued the whole of the Austri-
an Netherlands, which were confirmed to them
by the treaty of Campo Formio in 1797, and pf
Luneville in 1801, when they divided South Bra-
bant into two departments; viz. Deux Nethes, af-
ter the name of two rivers which run from N. to
S. uniting at Lier, and afterward fall into the
Scheldt; and the Dyle, named after another river