is famous for its sewing silk; and its fair on St.
Bartholomews day, is resorted to by merchants
from distant parts. It stands on a hill, between
the rivers Bremba and Serio, 30 miles N. E. of
Milan; and contains several fine edifices, and is
distinguished as the birth-place of several eminent
artists and literati. Pop. about 30,000.
Bergamo, a city of Natolia. See Pergami.
Bcrgedorf, a town of the north bank of the Elbe,
about 10 m. E. of Hamburgh.
Bergen, a city and seaport of Norway, capital
of a government of the same name, and a bishops
see, with a castle. It forms a semicircle round a
small gulf of the sea, and is the most populous
town in Norway, containing 19,000 inhabitants.
On the land side it is defended by mountains, and
on the other by several fortifications. All the
churches and many of the houses are of stone, but
most of the latter are constructed of wood. The
castle and cathedral are remarkable edifices. It
carries on a great trade in skins, fir-wood, deals,
tar, and dried fish; and is 170 m. W. by N. of
Christiania. Long. 5. 20. E. lat. 60. 24. N.
Bergen, a town of North Holland, noted for two
bloody battles, in 1799, between the English
and Russian forces opposed by the Dutch and
French, which terminated in favour of the former.
It is situate among woods, 4 m. N. N. E. of Alc-
Bergen, the chief town of the island of Rugen,
Bergen, p.t. Genessee Co. N. Y. 258 m. W. Al-
bany. Pop. 1,508.
Bergen, a County of New Jersey, bordering on
the Hudson. Pop. 22,414. Hackensack is the
Bergen, p.t. in the above Co. The inhabitants
are mostly descendants from the Dutch settlers. It
is surrounded by water excepting the north, and
separated by the river Hudson from the city of
New York, 3 miles distant.
Bergen-op-Zoom, a town of Dutch Brabant, cap-
ital of a marquisate of the same name. It is a
handsome place, and its fortress is one of the
strongest in the Netherlands, seated partly on a
hill, and partly on the river Zoom, which commu-
nicates with the Scheldt by a canal. It has sev-
eral times been besieged to no purpose; but was
taken by the French, in A747, and 1794. In 1814,
the English attempted tjj^arry this place by storm,
but after forcing a passagfe into the town, their re-
treat was cut off, when tney were nearly all kill-
ed or made prisoners. It isV5 m. N. of Antwerp,
and 22. S. W. of Breda. Long. 4. 22. E. lat. 51.
Bergerac, a town of France, in the department
of Dordogne, seated on the north bank of the Riv-
er Dordogne, 24 m. S. by W. of Perigueux, and
48 E. of Bourdeaux. Pop. 8,600.
Bergoo, an interior district of North Africa, ly-
ing to the east of Begherme. Warra is the chief
Berg-Reichenstein, and Bergstadt, two towns in
the circle of Prachin Bohemia, situate in a mining
district on the frontiers of Bavaria.
Bergues, a fortified town of France, in the de-
partment of Nord, on the river Colme, at the foot
of a mountain, 5 m. S. of Dunkirk.
Bergzabem, a town of Bavaria, circle of the
Rhine, seated on the Erlbacb, 6 m. S. S. W. of
Landau, and 34 S. E. of Deux Ponts.
Berhhamstead or Barkha instead, t. Litchfield
Co. Con. Pop. 1,715.
Berkhamstead, a town in Hertfordshire, Eng.
Roman coins have been often dug up here,
and on the north side are the remains of a castle,
the residence of the kings of Mercia. In 697 a
parliament was held here, and Inas laws publish-
ed. Here William the Conqueror swore to his no-
bility to maintain the laws made by his predeces-
sors. Henry II. kept his court in this town, and
granted to it many privileges; and James I. whose
children were nursed here, made it a corporation ;
but this government was dropped in the civil wars.
The church is a handsome Gothic structure. It
is seated on the west branch of the river Gade,
and on the Grand Junction Canal, 26 m. N. W. of
London. Pop. in 1821,2,310.
Berkley, a town in Gloucestershire, Eng. It
has a trade in timber, coals, malt, and cheese
which is benefited by means of a canal from
Gloucester. Here is an ancient castle on a rising
ground, in which Edward II. was murdered.
Berkley has the honour of giving birth to the
justly celebrated Dr. Edward Jenner, the discov-
erer of the vaccine inoculation. It is seated on
the Little Avon, near its confluence with the
Severn, 15 m. S. W. of Gloucester, and 114 W
of London. Pop. 836.
Berkley, p.t. Bristol Co. Mass. 35 m. S. Boston.
Berkley, p.v. Gloucester Co. N. J. 13 m. fr.
Berkley, a frontier County of Virginia, bound-
ed on the north by the Potomac River, which
separates it from Pennsylvania. Pop. 10,528.
Martinsburgh, 192 m. N. W. of Richmond, is
the chief town.
Berkley Springs, p.v. Morgan Co. Va. on the
Berks, or Berkshire, an inland and very irregu
lar shaped county of England. The river Thames
by a very circuitous course, divides it on the north
and east from the counties of Oxford and Wilt-
shire, and south from Hampshire. Reading, 39m
west of London is the chief town. At the east
end of the county, on the south bank of the
Thames, is the castle and extensive domain of
Windsor, a residence of the kings of England,
and one of the most stately and magnificent abodes
in Europe or the world. The other principal towns
are Maidenhead, Newbury, and Hungerford. The
county has but few manufactures : some sacking
is made in the vicinity of Abingdon, and some
ribands and silk plush in the vicinity of Read-
ing ; but its supply of colonial, foreign and man-
ufactured productions, is obtained by means of a
surplus of grain, flour, malt, wool, some cattle
and sheep, and a considerable quantity of oak tim-
ber. Berkshire has long been distinguished as
containing the most celebrated residence of roy-
alty in the whole British dominions, Windsor
Castle, which was founded by William the Con-
queror. In this county are also Frogmore, Cum-
berland Lodge, Cranbourn Lodge, and other
residences of the royal family, with above 150
seats belonging to the nobility and gentry.
Berks, an interior county in the E. district of
Pennsylvania, bounded on the N. W. by the blue
ridge of the Apalachian Mountains, and intersect-
ed from the N. W. to S. E. by the Schuylkill Riv-
er. Pop. 53,357. Reading, 52 m. E. by N. of
Harrisbnrgh, is the chief town.
Berkshire, p t. Franklin Co. Vt. on theMissis-
que. Pop. 1,308.
Berkshire, a county forming the whole western
boundary of the state of Massachusetts, bordering
on the state of New York. Pop. 37,825. Lenox