Brookes’ Universal Gazetteer, page 82
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.

HOME PAGE ... REFERENCE PAGE ... THIS GAZETTEER’S PAGE



Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


BAU    82    BAY

annexed as follows : viz.

1 The Rhine, W. Spires.

2 Lower Maine, N. Wurzburgh.

3 Upper ditto, N. Bayreuth.

4 Rezat,    N.    W. Anspaeh.

5 Upper Danube, S. W. Augsburg.

6 Iser,    S.    Munich.

7 Lower Danube, E. Passau.

8 Regcn,    N.    E. Ratisbon.

Of these divisions the 1st lies on both sides of
the Rhine, at the northern extremity of the terri-
tory of the grand duke of Baden, and is detached
from the other seven. Nos. 2, 3, and 4, formed
part of the circle of Franconia, and No. 5 of Sua-
bia. The last three previously forming the grand
duchy and the palatinate, the archbishopric of
Saltzburor having been ceded to Austria. The
whole of this territory comprises about 32,000 sq.
miles, and a population of about 3,600,000. The
frontier parts of the kingdom of Bavaria are in
general rugged and mountainous, but the inland
parts are fertile in corn and pasture ; all the va-
rious branches of manufacture of flax, wool, some
silk, leather, and working of metals, are followed
more or less as domestic occupations over most
parts of the country ; having but little surplus
produce of any kind for external traffic. Bavaria
may be regarded as possessing within itself all the
means of domestic and social comfort. It is ex-
ceedingly well watered ; the Danube, which rises
on the border of the Black Forest in Suabia, runs
from west to east through the heart of the country,
passes Dilligen, Donauwerth, Neuberg, Ingol-
stadt, and Ratisbon to Passau, where it enters the
archduchy of Austria. The Inn, Iser, Lech, and
Uler, run from south to north into the Danube,
and the Maine runs from east to west, past
Schweinfurth and Wurtzburg into the Rhine.
Four-fifths of the inhabitants are Roman Catho-
lics, and the remainder Protestants : the latter
however not only enjoy the unrestrained exercise
of their worship, but are eligible to civil offices
and military appointments. Like all the other
Germanic states, military pretension and parade
is the ruling passion of the government, and from

40,000 to 50,000 men are held under military
discipline, to sustain which and other expenses
of the state, taxes, equal to about 11,000,000 dol-
lars American money, are levied annually on the
produce of the labour of the people. Munich is
the capital of the whole kingdom, and the seat of
government, which is unlimited, and vested in the
king, the title to which is hereditary. The power
has however been exercised with discretion,
prudence, and mildness, although not with all
the wisdom and efficiency to be desired. Edu-
cation has of late years been widely diffused
through the Bavarian states ; academies, lv-
ceums, and universities, have been multiplied ;
productions of foreign literature have been im-
ported ; and the effects are already apparent in
the improved condition of society and the grad-
ual advance of moral and physical renovation.
Bavaria may now be considered as holding the
first rank among the secondary class of European
states.

Bavay, a town of France, in the department of
Nord. It was taken by the Austrians in 1792,
but recovered the same year. It is 6 m. N. E. of
Quesnoy, and 12 S. W. of Mons.

BauchervilJe, a beautifully located village, on
the west bank of the river St. Lawrence, about 10
in. W. of Montreal.

Baud, a town in the interior of the maritime
province of'Morbihan, France, about 12 m. N. E.
ofL’Orient. Pop. 6,200.

Bauge, a town of France, in the department of
Mayenne and Loire, seated on the Coesnon, 18
m. E. of Angers. Pop. about 3,000.

Baughman, t. Wayne Co. Ohio.

Baideah, a town of Hindoostan, in Bengal, on
the left bank of the Ganges. It is one of the
principal stations for collecting of silk, 22 m. N.
E. of Moorshedabad.

Bauman's Islands, three islands in the Pacific
Ocean, discovered by Bauman, a Dutchman, who
accompanied Roggewein, in 1722. They are cov-
ered with fruit trees, and divers sorts of vegeta-
bles. The inhabitants are numerous, and armeo
with bows and arrows ; but of a gentle and humane
disposition, and friendly to strangers. The largest
island is about
22 m. in circumference. Long.
170. 0. W. lat. 14. 0. S.

Bourne les Nones, or Bawmc les Dames, a town
of France, in the department of Doubs. It has a
nunnery, from which it received its appellation ;
and is seated on the Doubs, 15 m. N. E. ofBe-
sancon.

Bauslc, or Bautka, a town of Courland, on the
frontiers of Poland, with a castle on a rock. It is
seated on the Musza, 15 m. S. E. of Mittau.

Bautzen, or Budissen, the capital of Upper Lusa-
tia, with a citadel on a rock, called Ortenburg. Its
trade arising from various manufactures is con
siderable. It is famous for a great battle having
been fought here on JVJay 20, 1813, between the
allied army under the emperor of Russia and the
king of Prussia, and the French army commanded
by Napoleon, in which the former were defeated.
It stands on the river Spree, 30 m. E. by N. of
Dresden. Long. 14. 30. E. lat. 51. 10. N.

Baux, a town of France, in the department of
Mouths of the Rhone, seated on a rock, at the top
of which is a castle, 10 in. E. by N. of Arles.

Bairtru, a small town in the West Riding of
Yorkshire. Eng. It has a trade in lead, mill-
stones. and grindstones; and is seated on the ri-
ver Idle, 9 m. S. by E. of Doncaster, and 153 N.
of London.

Baya, a seaport of Guinea, on the Gold coast, 60
m. E. S. E. of Acra. Long. 1. 59. E. lat. 5. 45 N.

Bay of Islands, there are several bays in differ-
ent parts of the world so called ; viz. 1st, on the
west coast of Newfoundland; 2nd, in the straits
of Magellan; 3rd, on the north-east coast of New
Holland in lat. 10. 30.; 4th, on the north-west
coast of America in lat. 57. N.; 5th, on the east
coast of New Zealand.

Baijagvana, an inland town of the Island of St.
Domingo, about 35 m. N. E. of the city of S.t
Domingo.

Bayamo, a town in the east part of Cuba ,on
the river Estero, which •forms a bay on the coast,
20 m. below the town. It gives name to a chan-
nel, between Cuba and the islands, called the
Queen’s Garden, and is 80 m. W. S. W. of St.
Jago. Long. 77. 20. W. lat. 20. 45. N.

Bayazia, or Bcdezia, a large town of Asiatic Tur-
key, in the south-east corner of Armenia, near
the source of the Euphrates, on the confines of
Persia. It is surrounded by a wall, and contains
two mosques, and several other edifices of great
architectural beauty, and about 30,000 inhab.

Bayersdorf, a town of the Bavarian circle of the
Upper Mayne, with a seat of justice and a large
, seated on the Reanitz, 4 m. N. of

synagogue
Erlang.



Public domain image from GedcomIndex.com

Brookes' Universal Gazetteer of the World (1850)


PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE

This page was written in HTML using a program
written in Python 3.2