Brookes’ Universal Gazetteer, page 67
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.

HOME PAGE ... REFERENCE PAGE ... THIS GAZETTEER’S PAGE



Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


BAC    67    BAD

mountain of the same name. Long. 43. 50. E.
lat. 12, 50. N.

Baheuhausen, a town of Suabia, in Germany,
5 m. N. of Tubingen.

Babic, or Bababeg, a town of Persia, on the con-
fines of the Desert of Kerman, situate at about an
equal distance from the cities of Kerman, Shiraz
and Zed.

Babingley, a village of Norfolk, Eng. is noted as
being the place where Felix the Burgundian first
landed, to instruct the East Angles in the doc-
trines of the gospel, and where the first church is
said to have been erected. It is 4 m. N. E. of
Lynn.

Babuyanes, a cluster of six or seven small isl-
ands in the North Pacific Ocean, 10 leagues N. of
the isle of Luconia. The chief produce is wax,
ebony, bananas, cocoas, and plantains.    ,

Babylon, the capital of the ancient kingdom of
Babylonia or Chaldea. Semiramis is said by
some, and Belus by others, to have founded this
city. But. by whomsoever it was founded, Nebu-
chadnezzar embellished it, and made it one of the
wonders of the world. The most famous works in
and about it were, the walls of the city, the temple
of Belus, Nebuchadnezzar’s palace, the hanging
gardens, the banks of the river, the artificial lake,
and the canals. The walls were 87 feet thick, 350
fret high, and 60 miles in circumference, forming
ir. exact square, hiving 100 gates of solid brass, 25

each side, with a street running from each in a
straight line to the opposite gate: so that there
were in all 50 great streets, each 15 miles long.
It is supposed to have stood on both banks of the
Euphrates, in long. 44. 0. E. lat. 32. 0. X. Alex-
ander of Macedon died here April 21, B. C. 323.

Baca, or Baza, a town of Spain, in Granada, 15
m. N. E. of Guadix. Pop. about 7,000.

Bach, or Batha, a town of Hungary, formerly
the see of a bishop, seated near the Danube, 30 m.
E. N. E. of Funfkirchen, and 85 S. of Buda.

Backarach, a town of Germany, in the palatin-
ate of the Rhine. It is famous for its wine, and
stands at the foot of a mountain, near the Rhine,
24 m. S. by E. of Coblentz. The Counts pala-
tine had formerly a castle here, and levied toll on
the produce and merchandize passing up and down
the Rhine, which, from the extent of the exaction,
was denominated the golden toll. It at present
forms part of the Prussian territory.

Basheserai, a town of Russia, in the province of
Taurida. It v^as lately the residence of the Tar-
tar clans of the Crimea, and the palace is a curi-
ous species of painted Chinese structure. Near
this place, on a high rock, is an old fort called the
Jews’ Citadel, so named as having been from time
immemorial inhabited by about 200 families of
Jews. Bacheserai is seated in a deep valley, on
the rivulet Katza, 18 m. S. S. W. of Symphero-
»oi.

Barhian. an island, the largest and most south-
ern of the proper Moluccas. It is 70 m. in jcir-
cumference, and the interior rises into woody hills.
It is governed by a sultan, who is also sovereign
of Ouby and Ceram; and he receives a pension
from the Dutch, either for the destruction or sup-
ply of nutmegs. The Dutch first formed a settle-
ment here in 1610. Zabonga is the chief town.
Long. 127. 0. E. lat. 0. 25. S.

Bachu, or Baku, a city of Shirvan, in Persia,
situate on the shore of a fine haven on the W.
side of the Caspian Sea. It was taken possession
of by Russia at the commencement of the last
century; ceded back to Persia in 1735, and repos-
sessed by Russia, since 1801. The country round
abounds in petroleum, and, in some places, con
stantly emits flame, but without producing any
very sensible degree of heat. It was probably
this district that gave rise to the sect of the Par-
sees, Guebres, or Fire Worshippers, by whom it
was formerly much resorted to. A similar phe-
nomenon of ignited petroleum prevailed near
Brosely, in Shropshire, Eng. from 1711 to 1750,
since when the flame has entirely ceased.
What was more singular at Brosely was, that the
flame emitted from a spring of water There qre
a number of inflammable springs in the western
part of N. York. See
Burning Springs. Baku
is now an inconsiderable place; it is in 40. 5. N.
lat. and 50. 10. E. long.

lllllllll

lllllllll

lllllllll

lllllllll

lllllllll

lllllllll

llll|llll

llll|llll

lllllllll

lllllllll

lllllllll

llll|llll|llll|llll

lllllllll

lllllllllll

cm ^

2

3

4

8

«

7

8

9

1

0 1

1 12 1

CO

4


Badajoz, a town of Spain, capital of Estremadu-
ra, and a bishop’s see. It is famous for a bridge
built by the Romans over the Guadiana. On this
bridge the Portuguese were defeated by don John
of Asturias, in 1661. Badajoz was taken by the
French in 1809, and retaken by the allied army,
tinder Lord Wellington, by storm, on the 6th of
April, 1812. It is a frontier town toward Portu-
gal, and well fortified. It is 14 m. E. of Elvas,
and 175 S. by W. of Madrid. Long. 6. 40. W.
lat. 38. 45. N.    '

Badakshan, a city of Usbec Tartary, or Great
Bucharia, capital of the province of Kilan. Gold,
silver, and rubies are found in its vicinity; and
caravans pass by this city to Cabul and China.
It is seated on the main branch of the Gihon, about
100 miles from its source, at the foot of the Belur
mountains, 120 m. E. of Balk. Long. 68. 50. N.
lat. 37. 10. E.

Badlmry, a village in Dorsetshire, Eng. on a
considerable eminence, 4 m. N. W. of Win-
born. It was a summer station of the Romans,
and many of their coins, urns, &c. have been
found. Here is also a Saxon camp, which con-
sists of three oblong ramparts.

Badelona, a town of Spain, in Catalonia, seated
on the Mediterranean, 10 m. N. E. of Barcelona.

Baden, or Bouden, formerly a margraviate, in the
circle of Suabia, stretching along the east bank of
the Rhine, from the canton of Basle, in Switzer-
land, on the south, in the lat. of 47. 30. to the bish-
opric of Spires, in the lat. of 49. 10. N. bounded
on the E. by the Black Forest. It was divided in-
to upper and lower, or Baden-Baden and Baden-
Durlach, from the names of the chief towns of the
two divisions. Under Napoleon’s formation of the
Rhenish confederacy in 1806,Baden was constitut-
ed a grand duchy, with some change of territory,
divided into three parts of the Upper, Middle, and
Lower Rhine; but receiving a further accession
of territory of Brisgau, &c. in 1809, it was divi-
ded into the 10 following circles, viz. The Lake
Danube, Weisen. Treisam, Kinzig, Murg, Pfutz
and Enz, Neckar, Odenwald, and Main and Tauber,
being names of so many rivers intersecting the
territory; the code Napoleon was adopted as the
constitution of the state, and the seat of govern-
ment, established at Carlsruhe, about two miles
from Durlach. The whole territory contains
about 5,600 square miles, and a population of about

925,000, from the productive portion of whom a
revenue of about £600,000 annually is collected
for military and state purposes. That portion of
the territory bordering on the Rhine, including
the old margraviate, is exceedingly fruitful, and
contains about 180,000 inhabitants. The forests
yield abundance of materials for building and fuel.

Baden, the capital of Upper Baden, with a cas*







PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE

This page was written in HTML using a program
written in Python 3.2