tipper garment called a caftan, with a red cap, a
hood and slippers. The women in the country
wear haiques like those of the men. Their orna-
ments are ear-rings, bracelets upon their arms,
and rings upon their ankles. They tatoo their
-.kins with representations of flowers &c. and dye
their hair, feet, and the ends of the fingers of a
saffron color with henna.
The ladies of the city differ little in the fashion,
but considerably in the costliness of their orna-'
ments. The caftan is of fine cloth or velvet, em-
broidered with gold and fastened with buckles of
gold and silver. The head is surrounded with
folds of gauze, wrought of gold and silk. The
ear-rings, bracelets, &c. for the legs, are of gold
and silver. Paint is sometimes used, and the
eyebrows and eyelashes are frequently darkened.
The Moors esteem corpulence a prime constitu-
ent of beauty.
Algiers, a strong city, capital of the whole
country of Algiers. It is built on the side of a
mountain, in the form of an amphitheatre, next
the harbour; and the houses appearing one above
another, of a resplendent whiteness, make a fine
appearance from the sea. The tops of the houses
are flat, covered with earth, and form a sort of
gardens. The streets are narrow, and serve to
keep off the extreme heat of the sun. There are
five gates, but no public places or squares of con-
siderable extent. The larger mosques are ten,
but there is nothing remarkable in their archi-
tecture. except the one begun to be built about
me year 1790. which is beautiful; and the Deys
palace is far from being spacions and extensive.
The harbour is small, shallow, and insecure, and
its entrance is incommoded with numerous rocks.
The mole of the harbour is 500 paces in length,
extending from the continent to a small island,
where there is a castle and a large battery of guns.
The Turkish soldiers here were formerly great
tyrants ; and would go to the farm-houses in the
country for 20 days together, live at free quarters,
and make use of every thing, not excepting the
women. There were about 100,000 Mahometans,
15,000 Jews, besides 2,000 Christian slaves in this
city before its recent capture by the French.
Their chief subsistence was derived from their
piracies, for they made prizes of all Christian
ships not at peace with them. The country about
Algiers i-s adorned with gardens and fine villas,
watered by fountains and rivulets; and thither
the inhabitants resort in the hot seasons. Algiers
had for ages braved the resentment of the most
powerful states in Christendom. The Emperor
Charles V. lost a fine fleet and army, in an ex-
pedition against it, in 1541. The English burnt
their vessels in the harbour in 1635, and 1670;
and it was bombarded by the French in 1688. In
1775, the Spaniards attacked it by sea and land,
but were repulsed with great loss, though they
had near 20,000 foot, 2,000 horse, and 47 royal
ships of different rates, and 346 transports. In
1783 and 1784, they renewed their attacks by sea
to destroy the city and galleys; but were forced
to retire without effecting either its eapture or
destruction. In 1816, a British squadron, under
the command of Lord Exmouth, bombarded the
town, and fleet in the harbour. But the year
1830 finally witnessed the fall of Algiers before
the arms of a Christian power. On the 14th of
June, the French landed an army of 40,000 men
in the bay of Sidi Ferach near the city, and after
several battles, closely invested the place. The
siege lasted six days. On the 5th of July, Algiers
surrendered, and the French immediately took
possession of the city. The Dev went into exile
at Naples, and a great treasure in gold and silver
found in his palace, indemnified the captors for
the cost of the enterprise. The French still hold
Algiers, and appear determined to establish them-
selves permanently in the country. The external
commerce, before the conquest, was principally
with Gibraltar, from whence the Algerines drew
considerable supplies of European manufactures,
spices, and India piece-goods, in exchange for
cattle, fruits, &c. for the supply of the town and
Alambia, a town of Spain, in Arragon, near a
river of its name, 7 m. N. of Tereul.
Alicant, a sea-port of Spain, in Valencia, fa-
mous for excellent wine and fruits. It has also
a great trade in barilla, and the Americans, En-
glish, Dutch, French, and Italians, have consuls
here. The castle, on a high rock, was reckoned
impregnable, but it was taken hy the English, in'
1706. It was likewise taken by the French and
Spaniards, after a siege of almost two years, when
part of the rock was blown up. It is seated on
the Mediterranean, on a bay of the same name,
64 French leagues S. E. of Madeira, 23 S. of Va-
lencia, and 21 N. of Carthagena. Long. 0.29. W
lat. 38. 20. N.
Alicata, a sea-port of Sicily, in Val di Mazara,
with a fortress on a small cape, at the mouth of
the Salso, 22 m. S. E. of Girgenti. Long. 14. 7.
E. lat. 37. 14. N.
Alicudi, the most western of the Lipari islands,
in the Mediterranean, 10 m. W. of Felicuda.
N. lat. 38. 33. E. long. 14. 32.
AI if, a town of Naples, at the foot of the Ap-
ennines, 25 m. N. W. of Benevento.
Allahabad, an interior province of Hindoostan
Proper, 160 m. long and 120 broad; bounded on
the N. by Oude, E. by Bahar, S. by Orissa and
Berar, and W. by Malwa and Agra. The Ner-
budda, which rises on the S. E. border of the
province, flows from E. to W. near its side ; and
the Ganges crosses it from W. to E. near its N.
AUahalad, a city of Hindoostan, capital of the
province of the same name, with a magnificent
citadel. It was founded by the Emperor Acbar.
in 1583, who intended it as a place of arms; but
its fortifications will hardly resist the battering of
a field-piece. It is seated at the confluence of
the Jumna with the Ganges, 470 m. W. N. W.
of Calcutta. Long. 82. 0. E. lat. 26. 45. N. It
was finally ceded, together with the province, to
the English E. I. Company, in 1801.
Allah-Shehr, or City of God, the ancient Phila-
delphia ; it is now occupied by about 300 families,
principally Greeks. It is situate in the province
of Natolia, Asiatic Turkey, about 100 m. due E.
Alleghany Mountains. See Apalathian.
Alleghany, a river of Pennsylvania, which rises
in the S. W. corner of the state of New York, in
lat. 42. It is navigable for keel-boats of 10 tons
burthen, to Hamilton, 260 m. above Pittsburg,
where it joins the Monongahela, and then assumes
the name of Ohio. See Ohio.
Alleghany, a County of New York, in the S.
W. Pop. 26,218. Angelica is the chief town.
Alleghany, a County of Pennsylvania, in the
W. Pop. 37,964. Pittsburg is the capital.
Alleghany, a County of Maryland, in the N.W.
Pop. 10,602. Cumberland is the chief town.
Alleghany is the name of 6 towns in Pennsyl-